DVDVR Message Board

The Termination of CM Punk by The Coward Tony Khan

Elsalvajeloco

14 hours ago, AxB said:

If WWE owns the trademark and copyright on the name “Edge”, he could do what Christian Cage did, and return to his pre-WWF name.

Sexton Hardcastle.

Couldn’t they also try to work something out with a founding member of U2, and call him The Edge? I get it would sound corny, but it’s wrestling and people would definitely know who he is with that name.

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Its funny that Punk news had infiltrated like four different threads, now he finally gets his own thread and we've been talking about Edge for the last two pages.

Some of it, I think, is that we, as a board are a lot more interested in AEW than WWE (226 replies in All Out thread vs 26 in Payback), so Edge is forward looking and Punk's future absolutely doesn't have AEW in it. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hobo joe said:

Bringing Edge in for a tag run/feud with Christian in the twilight of his career is a good idea. The only downside is the name change and having to turn Christian face.

Actually, better idea, bring him in as the dude banging Nick Wayne’s mom

Now I don't even care who it is I just want someone to do a dick stepdad angle with Nick Wayne.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Now I don't even care who it is I just want someone to do a dick stepdad angle with Nick Wayne.

I love this because I feel like AEW should always be running one angle that wouldn’t be out of place in 1999 WCW. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Both things can be true: CM Punk is an antisocial asshole who fucked up multiple times and deserved to get fired and Tony Khan is a spineless weakling who lets everyone push him around and is the wealthiest money mark ever.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

Both things can be true: CM Punk is an antisocial asshole who fucked up multiple times and deserved to get fired and Tony Khan is a spineless weakling who lets everyone push him around and is the wealthiest money mark ever.

When I saw the ESPN headline about Punk’s firing, I assumed that Tony Khan had finally gotten the go-ahead from legal to fire Punk for the Buck’s fight instead of paying him to sit home.  I didn’t know till next day that AEW had a Saturday show, had brought Punk back, had apparently given him some sort of creative control and say over who was on the show, etc.  Yeah, I don’t get that all.  Tony set the whole situation on motion when he let Punk run down his coworkers at the media scrum while he sat there and smiled.

I’m more interested in this Saturday night show.  Saturday night seems like an uphill battle in 2023 under the best of circumstances and damn stupid during football season.  I’m kind of interested in checking it out,  but odds are I will forget about it by the weekend.

• Like 2

Tony was intent on making it work for financial reasons, and once Punk realized that he wasn’t going to get out of his contract he became all about finishing his time out on his terms. I don’t think either one was under any illusions about their working relationship this summer or thought they were doing anything but trying to make it through the rest of Punk’s time there without another catastrophe, which they both failed at doing. I think Tony’s position was way more shrewd than he’s getting credit for, and I don’t think he’s a quaking cartoon character living in fear of his locker room like he’s often portrayed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I love how the girl in the front row at All Out flips off Hangman and taunts the Bucks with the X symbol and boos, and Elite fans find her Twitter and send her death threats apparently. Then today, Hangman posts a story on Insta that says nobody deserves that kind of treatment and he’d be disappointed if his fans do that. And what’s the discourse after that? It’s not how people were wrong for doing it, it’s “oh Hangman is the best, he’s so wholesome”.

Kind of fucking annoying and loser fans that do that shit to other fans are the worst. Regardless of how you feel about Punk or the Elite or whoever, nobody should be getting harassed for their fandom and if they boo and “taunt” wrestlers at a show.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, AxB said:

If WWE owns the trademark and copyright on the name “Edge”, he could do what Christian Cage did, and return to his pre-WWF name.

Sexton Hardcastle.

Why stop there? Go full MST3K/Dave Ryder and give him a new nickname every week.

"Sexton Hardcastle"

"Punch Rockgroin"

"Flint Ironstag"

"Bob Johnson". . .oh. . .

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I love how the girl in the front row at All Out flips off Hangman and taunts the Bucks with the X symbol and boos, and Elite fans find her Twitter and send her death threats apparently. Then today, Hangman posts a story on Insta that says nobody deserves that kind of treatment and he’d be disappointed if his fans do that. And what’s the discourse after that? It’s not how people were wrong for doing it, it’s “oh Hangman is the best, he’s so wholesome”.

Kind of fucking annoying and loser fans that do that shit to other fans are the worst. Regardless of how you feel about Punk or the Elite or whoever, nobody should be getting harassed for their fandom and if they boo and “taunt” wrestlers at a show.

I saw that discussion on Reddit earlier. The thing is, there are plenty of people who seem to spend a whole lot of money to go to those shows to just be douchebags on camera and that girl absolutely seemed to fall in that category. I was annoyed with her and several others while trying to watch the show.

...but fucking death threats?!?! Come ON. Every single one of those people doing that should be ashamed of themselves and ostracized.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Tony was intent on making it work for financial reasons, and once Punk realized that he wasn’t going to get out of his contract he became all about finishing his time out on his terms. I don’t think either one was under any illusions about their working relationship this summer or thought they were doing anything but trying to make it through the rest of Punk’s time there without another catastrophe, which they both failed at doing. I think Tony’s position was way more shrewd than he’s getting credit for, and I don’t think he’s a quaking cartoon character living in fear of his locker room like he’s often portrayed.

TK strikes me as the type of guy who wants to believe the best about people. I think maybe he’s a little naive, but I sure don’t believe he’s a mark. I think you’re right about it making business sense to keep Punk around as long as possible. I still wonder if it wouldn’t have been better to just send him home for the rest of his deal. That way you don’t send the message to other disgruntled talent that trying to kill the owner of the company is a ticket out the door. Andrade in particular strikes me as crazy enough to try…

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Hopefully.  That’s at least more understandable than being such a fanboy that he let Punk run over the rest of the locker room.

I watched a couple of Metlzer’s YouTube videos over the weekend ri catch up on what’s i missed the last few months.  At one point, Meltzer said Punk became unhappy again when Omega and the Bucks signed new contracts.  So now I’m wondering if Punk thought TK would basically shove the Elite towards WWE for Punk?  I dunno.  I don’t have a lot of time for Phil Brooks whiny adolescent routine.

Metlzer also threw out the idea that Punk attacking both Jack Perry and TK was a calculated move to get himself fired (I guess to be free to go to Stamford without a oersky non-complete clause), though Dave immediately said he wasn’t sure Phil was that clever.  Not a good look for whiny man-baby Phil either way.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Mario said:

Hopefully.  That’s at least more understandable than being such a fanboy that he let Punk run over the rest of the locker room.

I watched a couple of Metlzer’s YouTube videos over the weekend ri catch up on what’s i missed the last few months.  At one point, Meltzer said Punk became unhappy again when Omega and the Bucks signed new contracts.  So now I’m wondering if Punk thought TK would basically shove the Elite towards WWE for Punk?  I dunno.  I don’t have a lot of time for Phil Brooks whiny adolescent routine.

Metlzer also threw out the idea that Punk attacking both Jack Perry and TK was a calculated move to get himself fired (I guess to be free to go to Stamford without a oersky non-complete clause), though Dave immediately said he wasn’t sure Phil was that clever.  Not a good look for whiny man-baby Phil either way.

I will say this re: 'shove the Elite towards WWE': IF (and this is a huge if, since no one really knows) - IF Cody's departure last year had anything to do with Punk (and boy, did Cody's last Dynamite promo do nothing to dispell that) then I could definitely see Punk thinking things may "work out in his favor" again with the other four.

I also heard it posited that Punk was trying to get out before college football kills Collision every week - like a late '90s Hogan/NBA Playoffs move- but personally I think its a bit of a stretch. I get the intended hypothetical goal, but its like, who would he even want to retain his drawing power for? Unless the plan was to come back in spring with his tail brtween his legs (doubtful) or go to WWE to convince them his perceived drawing power remained intact (also doubtful).

1 hour ago, Casey said:

52 minutes ago, Coletti said:

I saw that discussion on Reddit earlier. The thing is, there are plenty of people who seem to spend a whole lot of money to go to those shows to just be douchebags on camera and that girl absolutely seemed to fall in that category. I was annoyed with her and several others while trying to watch the show.

...but fucking death threats?!?! Come ON. Every single one of those people doing that should be ashamed of themselves and ostracized.

This. There's no excuse for death threats. Zero. Good on Hangman Adam Page.

• Like 5

If they are bringing Edge in, I think the immediate play is to unite Christian and Callis (and turn Sammy) and have them get tons of heat and menace Jericho for a few months with Edge being the big equalizer. After that you can do whatever with FTR and dream matches. I know it sounds rough to us but it feels like the most marketable move both in having some really wretched heels driving things and in going back to a couple of key nostalgia points. 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, just drew said:

I didn’t consider that hostility. I didn’t know that phrase was used as a slur. If you’re still mad about that, idk what to tell you. I haven’t used that phrase since.  I actually appreciate you pointing that out.

Even if we're willing to accept that you didn't know it's a slur, the fact remains that you don't think wrestlers who can be perceived as effeminate can be legit fighters or ass-kickers, which is factually incorrect (Johnny B. Badd, Adrian Street, Adrian Adonis, etc.) and dangerously close to homophobia, in and of itself. That's what you were communicating by trying to discredit Omega by calling him "twinkletoes."

I did a bit of research on the USPTO website, and unless im missing a newer filing, it seems like WWE no longer owns "Edge" for live performances, though they do own it for merchandising. So i guess in theory you could call him Edge, but it doesnt do a whole lot of good if you can't merchandise him. FWIW, they also no longer own "Rated R Superstar" either. For my money, his real name is pretty cool in that Hall/Nash kind of way, so I wouldnt mind it. I also wonder if 'Entertainment Services' being the category may have drawn the ire of the U2 guy?

Cody said in February 2023 that he had a great relationship with Punk in AEW:

“But I also had a great relationship with Punk. He was my dinner buddy. They would order dinner for me at AEW every week as one of my management perks or whatever. I don't think he knew I always just put it on my tab because I wanted to make sure he was getting something too, salmon or sushi. We didn't talk a lot but we had a great relationship, would sit and chat, and I was so excited to have him back."

https://youtu.be/ZVDhLzMd-oM

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1