DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 8/9 - 8/15/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I like how every picture of these two look like the socially awkward 14 year olds who've never had a friend just found each other AND that they're 0.5 seconds away from braining the other with a weapon they've hidden. 

Anyway...  tonight:   Hikaru Shida defends the women's title vs. Anna Jay,  the Bucks vs. the Hardyz, and the BCC vs. the Lucha Bros.  AND the AEW debut of that young up and comer Rob Van Dam! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Will be interesting to see what Shida can do with Anna Jay. Could be good, could have more whiffs than a Nolan Ryan classic.

Bucks vs. Hardys will be a spotfest with two guys who can't really hit many spots anymore.

BCC vs. Lucha Brothers will piss me off.

Could not care less about Jack Perry and the ECW revival.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I like how every picture of these two look like the socially awkward 14 year olds who've never had a friend just found each other AND that they're 0.5 seconds away from braining the other with a weapon they've hidden. 

I'm pretty sure there is a very legitimate reason for that! In fact, you can even see one of the potential "hidden" weapons in this picture. Was going to say "a couple of", but I don't see MJF wearing his ring here.

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

Will be interesting to see what Shida can do with Anna Jay. Could be good, could have more whiffs than a Nolan Ryan classic.

Bucks vs. Hardys will be a spotfest with two guys who can't really hit many spots anymore.

BCC vs. Lucha Brothers will piss me off.

Could not care less about Jack Perry and the ECW revival.

I'm pulling for the Vets. The King long loved the Hardys reminiscing in his posts about their OMEGA years. His take on the North Carolinian Brother Superstars in the modern era considered their age, wily veteran choices, and dropped all judgment on the troubled younger of the two, and was a fairer assessment and more spot on than most. However this match with the Bucks turns out, this is a huge night for the shear shirt and painter jeaned Boyz. Was RVD looking a bit puffy last week? I was mesmerized by that wildly hilarious tank top. I'm interested to see what can RVD still do in there? I think Perry v RVD may require some clever booking, but I'm game to see what they offer. I'll take a lights out Sabu payday. And a Fonzie payday. Shida v Anna, huh? I think Anna's on the rise again. She seems to have tightened up her game lately. I'm hoping for a strong title defense from Shida. The Jericho Townhall also returns tonight. Sickly, I'm interested in this Jericho talk segment. I need to hear what Daddy Magic has to say. Please, please, please embrace your Penta-hate in a positve manner so you can do nothing but love what I expect to be a beautiful Lucha Brothers v BCC bout. I look forward to this show. Minus the inevitable Jim Jacobs skits.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Thought this was a really fun show, even with nothing big booked.

Can we fire the Hardys and keep RVD as the resident nostalgia act? He looked great. Sting doesn't count as a nostalgia act, he's more the avenging spirit of AEW.

This episode also featured the best Nana dance to Swerve's music yet.

• Like 5

Turns out I was wrong about the Hardyz-Bucks, perfectly solid match that stayed within the Hardy limitations.

Also, it was actually kinda cool seeing RVD get his greatest hits in. Still don’t give a shit about the angle.

JAS opening was a little longer than I would’ve liked but it was fine. Garcia ruled.

They finally went to the well once too often and too deep with MJF-Cole and lost me. Endless in-ring segment, bad acting, bad jokes. The trampoline park skit was better. I had stopped FFWDing through MJF and Cole segments and today I regretted that.

Other than the chop segment and the stomp, Penta missed everything by a foot. Another case of going to the well one too many times with the house style move trades, the multiple striking segments. It was funny hearing the announcers covering for all the nonsensical kick outs. Also bad camerawork in this match, and really all night. Way to totally miss the huge unmasking!

I watched the Embassy entrance for Swerve’s entrance. Nice set up for a match and always love Tony’s call ITS STIIIING!

Main event was so, so bad, partly because of Anna having to constantly fix her top, the cameras having to cut back and forth for the same reason, and also just totally never being on the same page. Wrestlesky loved it, and I’m finding that my tastes and opinions are very different than theirs.

Guess they figured out how to get Saraya on the Wembley card while also protecting her.

• Like 2

I will give the luchadores one thing (as a team, Fenix is still in my cool book) and that is their superkicks look like they connect every time. Their bosses need to take note. Liked the chop exchange and Claudio putting on the mask. 

Payed next to no attention to Bucks/Hardyz but the parts I saw looked fine. RVD's spinning kick from the apron was gnarly. The rest of this was poor. Opening segment was Raw-esque (let's open with ten minutes of talking!), multiple angles of people just doing mic work or the goofiness of the bounce room, I guess at least FTR didn't talk beyond saying "All In" so that was good? They totally blew the finish to the main, the finish to the BCC tag, and had Kenny Omega walk in with a half hour left carrying his luggage like he'd just hit the tarmac. 

But hey, Collision looks fuckin' killer!

• Like 1

I thought it was a good show tonight. The eventual turn by Adam Cole on MJF is going to be amazing to watch. I thought the trampoline park bit was funny especially with MJF taking out all the kids. The little girl calling them both nerds was hilarious. 

RVD vs. Jack Perry was fun. RVD never lost a step so it's fun to see him still bust out the greatest hits. I echo the idea of signing RVD. I'd rather nostalgia pop for him over the broken down Hardy's.

But Cole getting a tag match for them for the ROH Tag titles was a nice touch. Aussie Open vs. Cole/MJF should be a fun match.

Penta/Rey vs. BCC was all right. I liked how Moxley didn't do anything and he still got a trickle of blood. 

Loved The Embassy getting beat down by Sting. Sting almost seems to age in reverse these days.

Shida vs. Anna Jay was all right. I don't know if I would have made it the main event, but it was all right. Anna missed a big spin kick into the ropes at one point. The four way is probably the best idea for a women's match

• Like 1

It’s fun seeing RVD play the hits once, don’t keep going to the well. This is probably as good as it gets. People will be talking about him like the Hardys if they’re seeing him with any regularity for a few months. Enjoy what this was and move on. 

May listen to his pod this week to see if he has thoughts on the AEW ropes. Couple of slips and he was slow getting up for the splash. 

• Like 4

Loved that RVD looked great against Jack and would definitely want to see more RVD in AEW sometime. Liked Perry sporting Jerry Lynn style tights. 

MJF & Cole skits are always the best. Seems a bit bizarre to have them wrestle on the ALL IN preshow before wrestling each other in the biggest main event in history. Roderick continues to be hilarious in this. "ADAM! ADAAAAAAAM!"

BCC/Lucha Bros was fun. Welcome back Sting! Looking forward to the Double Coffin Match. 

Surprised that Hikaru/Anna main evented, but cool for Shida to get two in a row. The "tournament" to get to the 4 way seemed rather obvious of an outcome. Weird finish here as it looked like Angelo was either going to put Anna's arm on the rope or was giving her brass knux but nothing happened. 

• Like 3

I just started watching this and turned it off halfway through this contrived " everyone quits one at a time and tells Jericho why as Jericho is standing in the middle of the ring as it goes back and forth forever. " bullshit. The fucking angle is that he's a glory hog washed up asshole who needs a lot of on screen time who will do anything to remain relevant and the TV is unbearable because of the same reason.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

I may be in the minority but I thought Trampoline Park was great. I can relate to Max, I'm the same way on the bumper cars at the amusement park. Every man, woman and child for themselves. 🙂

High spot of the night went to the security guard who Brogue-Kicked Darby in the head as he was leaping the barricade.

• Like 1

One of the things you have to do to have a fully-functioning women's division is put people on TV who are capable of having consistently passable TV matches. And then you've got featured players who, for years, have failed to provide that. I don't think Anna Jay is lazy or immoral or whatever, she just... is not physically or psychologically capable of having good wrestling matches a majority of the time she's asked to. It's an awkward conversation that has no pleasant endpoint. I don't have the patience to watch innocent crowds suffer through it.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

One of the things you have to do to have a fully-functioning women's division is put people on TV who are capable of having consistently passable TV matches. And then you've got featured players who, for years, have failed to provide that. I don't think Anna Jay is lazy or immoral or whatever, she just... is not physically or psychologically capable of having good wrestling matches a majority of the time she's asked to. It's an awkward conversation that has no pleasant endpoint. I don't have the patience to watch innocent crowds suffer through it.

Solution: She’s Jungle Boy’s valet

• Like 1

The Bucks get a lot of shit here, but that was an impressive carry job. They moved fast when they could, but did it in a way that made it look like the Hardys could keep up. They bumped like crazy and were willing to stand in there and take stuff I wouldn't be trusting the Hardys (especially Jeff) to pull off safely in 2023. The 3D was a nice touch and I'm surprised it had Excalibur tongue-tied.

• Like 4

Man, I cannot get behind RVD looking great out there. He was fine, but dude was cautiously measuring everything he was doing and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he hurt himself at some point, because by the end he was audibly groaning on every high spot. He was totally out of control on the guardrail leg drop and just splattered Jack unnecessarily.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EVA said:

Man, I cannot get behind RVD looking great out there. He was fine, but dude was cautiously measuring everything he was doing and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he hurt himself at some point, because by the end he was audibly groaning on every high spot. He was totally out of control on the guardrail leg drop and just splattered Jack unnecessarily.

Agree the guardrail looked gnarly, but he's only wrestled twice this year in March and April and it was his first time in the AEW ring so part of me kinda gets why the trepidation- overall I enjoyed him tonight

• Like 2