DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

I am absolutely not entertained in any way by MJF obliquely suggesting that he might leave for WWE and to be honest I don't think it would be any huge loss. Just like with his buddy Cody, he's a guy with zero Punk rock in his soul who is probably better off working for the largest possible corporation. I don't even mean that as an insult. Hopefully if he does fuck off he'll be just as successful as his buddy currently is.

That being said:

I simply do not understand the "It makes it seem as though AEW is a smaller promotion than WWE" part of the general dislike of the angle.

I was, for about three years, the most frothing-at-the-mouth defender of all things AEW on these boards but never at any point have I felt that AEW is as big as or bigger than WWE.

I can't imagine that ANYONE paying attention to an MJF promo is going to be upset by the notion that AEW is the #2 promotion.

In fact I kind of feel like that's almost THE POINT of AEW.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

I can't imagine that ANYONE paying attention to an MJF promo is going to be upset by the notion that AEW is the #2 promotion.

In fact I kind of feel like that's almost THE POINT of AEW.

AEW avoided TNA's cliche of "invading faction from another company that we can't legally say" for a few years, but The Outcasts aren't any better than the worst of those

Four Pillars joining forces as a Four Horsemen clone is within the realm of possibility depending on how sad things get

Catching up on 4 pages of threads while a little drunk (mostly on the amazing Nishaminny Creek The Shape of Hops to Come Imperial IPA).

As an extremely emotional fan (not emo, but I wear my heart on my sleeve and I value that in people): Kingston beating MJF would be the biggest moment in AEW history. That is what wrestling is in the modern age. Your babyface can be a guy who battled his demons, in fact I could argue that in the 2020s that’s what a relatable babyface is.

My top champ is Mox last year, who cares what run. He was a true fighting champion and gave his all. I liked Hangman as champion but I don’t think other than Danielson and his win against Omega he did anything notable.

Storylines is hard because of the booze. OC’s current run where he’s showing he’s actually one of the best professional wrestlers in the world is one of my favorite things in almost 40 years on and off watching. 9 months ago I enjoyed Orange Cassidy, now I would say he is my favorite wrestler. I like BCC because it feels extremely old school to me to have that “win my respect” angle along with “I beat the shit out of you until I beat the softness out of you and unleash your inner prick” elevation angle. I was very into Thunder Rosa’s championship build and run...sometimes I think we let our appreciation of the magnificent Jayme Hayter cloud our vision about Britt’s issues with Rosa. Even Tony Schiavone told her to grow the fuck up basically.

What I love about AEW is we get lots of young people who get to show off and earn a place on the card on their terms. We get 15-20 minute matches (PiP) regularly. We get shit like Forbidden Door. They take chances: maybe the 3-month 4 Pillars angle didn’t ultimately pay off but they tried. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I do agree with @Matt D's assertion that there needs to be some sort of hot angle kicked off at Collision.  At the very least, they need something to spark this (don't say it's a) brand split.  Something needs to make this show obviously hot and different, or it's just another Rampage.

I love @JLowe's posts but I have to say I've sworn off anything with "Imperial" in its name as I've gotten older.  Though I did polish off a six of Elysium Space Dust this past Saturday and that's like 8.2%.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Octopus said:

Eh, I’m not a huge bidding war storyline guy but I still think it can be pulled off well without minor leaguing AEW. Play up that the other side is loaded with cash from making a deal with the Saudi government and MJF wants some of that evil money. Dress Schiavone up in a flag shirt or something while it’s happening.

I was completely unironically into this idea until I remembered MJF is Jewish - I know I said some less than kind things about his mic work in the lead up to DoN, but I'm not trying to get our World champion assassinated lol

11 hours ago, Octopus said:

Eh, I’m not a huge bidding war storyline guy but I still think it can be pulled off well without minor leaguing AEW. Play up that the other side is loaded with cash from making a deal with the Saudi government and MJF wants some of that evil money. Dress Schiavone up in a flag shirt or something while it’s happening.

I was completely unironically into this idea until I remembered MJF is Jewish - I know I said some less than kind things about his mic work in the lead up to DoN, but I'm not trying to get our World champion assassinated lol

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Catching up on the thread, so not going to quote everything, but here's what I got:

1. Omega's hometown is not Toronto

2. Canadians who still have TSN through regular cable get TSN+ access. The big issue with TSN+ is they did a real shit job of archiving episodes of Rampage for a few months. I had to resort to some not legal methods to watch Rampage for a four month stretch. If you stay 100% up to date on your viewing (which I don't), it's not a problem. 

3. Keep the belt on Max for awhile longer. There's nobody really ready to take the belt off him. Build someone, then pull the trigger. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Catching up on the thread, so not going to quote everything, but here's what I got:

1. Omega's hometown is not Toronto

2. Canadians who still have TSN through regular cable get TSN+ access. The big issue with TSN+ is they did a real shit job of archiving episodes of Rampage for a few months. I had to resort to some not legal methods to watch Rampage for a four month stretch. If you stay 100% up to date on your viewing (which I don't), it's not a problem. 

3. Keep the belt on Max for awhile longer. There's nobody really ready to take the belt off him. Build someone, then pull the trigger. 

Here's the guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AEW Producer BJ Whitmer Arrested

AEW producer BJ Whitmer was arrested by the Boone County Sheriff’s Department in Boone County, Kentucky on the evening of June 4. Whitmer is facing charges of strangulation in the first degree and burglary in the second degree.

The first-degree strangulation charge applies when one person chokes another and causes injury in the process. The second-degree burglary charge is related to non-residential burglaries.

Whitmer was assigned a bond amount of $25,000 and is bound to a Grand Jury. After being in custody, he was released on June 12, 2023, as indicated by the release comments stating “FINAL RELEASE.”

BJ Whitmer is widely recognized for his tenure in Ring of Honor, where he held the Tag Team Championship on four occasions. Since 2019, he has been working behind the scenes for AEW in a producer role, receiving credit for his contributions to the Women’s Division from individuals like Anna Jay.

AEWs-BJ-Whitmer-Faces-Charges-of-Strangu

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

If it was me I’d put the world titles and the trios on Dynamite as it’s the flagship, anchor Collision with the tag and international and Rampage gets the TBS/TNT belts 

But with Dynamite airing on TBS and Collision on TNT, it’s the perfect time to have those champions only defend on the network associated with that title. This has always irked me. I don’t care about limiting other titles to the shows, but those should be IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

But with Dynamite airing on TBS and Collision on TNT, it’s the perfect time to have those champions only defend on the network associated with that title. This has always irked me. I don’t care about limiting other titles to the shows, but those should be IMO.

Weird one here to me lol. Was The European Title only defended in Europe? Is The United States Title only defended in The US? It's just a name of a title, not a division or weight class. Should those titles also not be defended on PPV's because it isn't TNT / TBS? Seems like limiting booking options for no real reason.

• Like 3

Pollock and Thurston interviewed Andrew Zarian last week, who may have been the first to break the Collision story. Says he heard it from a WBD person, and the original intent was a 1-hour show that just replaced the Darks, so the lower card people could get more time working and learning TV matches. Definitely a B-show. Things must have pivoted when Punk started making it known he wanted to come back. 

• Like 4

so i'm finally watching AEW Dynamite from last week. wait, Collision debuts THIS FRIDAY SATURDAY? and Forbidden Door II is already next weekend? i swear to the gods, these weeks and months get shorter and i can barely keep up. is this my old man moment? 

YARN | At this rate, by Tuesday it will be Thursday. | Futurama (1999) -  S03E14 Comedy | Video gifs by quotes | 18cd1fc3 | 紗

Edited by twiztor
days of the week are hard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, twiztor said:

so i'm finally watching AEW Dynamite from last week. wait, Collision debuts THIS FRIDAY? and Forbidden Door II is already next weekend? i swear to the gods, these weeks and months get shorter and i can barely keep up. is this my old man moment? 

YARN | At this rate, by Tuesday it will be Thursday. | Futurama (1999) -  S03E14 Comedy | Video gifs by quotes | 18cd1fc3 | 紗

Collision is Saturday so maybe THAT’S your old man moment 🙂

• Haha 3

Rampage thoughts. I've long supported the idea of an All Women's show, and am totally game to WILL together a Rampage exclusively for the Women's Division. Why not? Haha, 'Matt Hardy Creative' spoils the perfectly fine, potentially on the way to really good, opening trios with Luchas/Bandido v Page/Bill/Lee. Page looked good in that match before Matt had to get his creative spots in. Another excellent QTV segment! 'An Announcement to make an announcement!' QT gives us tremendous comedy each week and mildly good reason to tune into Rampage! How about an All Women's show and QTV? Hobbs squash was a bit more fun than usual. I dig Hobbs as much as the next guy, but his Sid act or the company's insistence on him squashing job guys died of boredom a long time ago. I think we all get it - he's really strong!!! As much as I love the QTV gang, can we all WILL INTO EXISTENCE the return of the Starks-Hobbs team. They really benefit from each other's company. You're with me on that, right @JLowe? I dug the Arn/Wardlow promo. Arn's was clearly the better portion, but this felt like a good rep for Wardy. Sensible, less tongue, more lashing, so to speak. Assclaimed v SAP was a bit more bad comedy than I generally prefer. Why on earth does SAP need an intro? I'm not sure if Angelico is being completely wasted or if his incredible mat skills are offset too poorly by his goofier/weaker traits? I want to side with those who believe the former. And can he have a run at the Pure Title already? Awesome Jarrett Gang/Briscoe/Aubrey segment. This should have been incredibly stoopid, but worked just fine. Karen Jarrett is a special performer, and Aubrey totally pulled off her part. Mark is awesome. Skye v Britt v Nyla v Mercedes was okay. Brutal back bump from Nyla. This bout suggested a Mercedes-Nyla 'Hoss' style battle is something I'd like to see. I'd also like to see what Shafir-Mercedes would look like. Skye Blue victory, sure. Skye's been working hard and Toni will lead her just fine. Tho, I too was pulling for Nyla. The Mark Henry pre-match set-up video was really good. Not perfect, but really good, and the type of thing they oughtta apply more. Kudos for all the videos (Forbidden Door, Dynamite recap) on this show. That's a good direction for this show going forth. AEW generally produces good videos and they're more needed than they seem to think. Are they still doing 'Road Tos'? The terrific work that generally goes into those should almost be saved for TV. Or promoted better. This was not a great show, a real step down from last week, but I didn't not have fun. 

• Like 3