DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

14 hours ago, Sparkleface said:

I just watched it. I think it was a matter of Jeff being nervous since it was his first TV match and falling into the trap a lot of folks fall into when they're doing jobs, meaning laying around selling instead of throwing some weak punches or trying to fire up at least in some way. It was a lot more common when you have folks who had no training - and in 1994, Jeff was basically an elevated backyarder, so it makes sense that he didn't have much of an idea of what to do, and it's not like Razor was going to call anything for him in a squash. Going up against 1-2-3 Kid the next day makes a lot more sense that it'd be more competitive looking because Kid had worked people at Jeff's experience level in the years prior on indies.

You're likely right. At this point, Razor had his enhancement match down to a science. Lockup, hiptoss, Fallaway slam aka the sack of shit, maybe chops in the corner, long abdominal stretch or an STF, slaps you around for a bit, super backdrop suplex, and then the Razor's Edge. Now if you completely sucked or didn't trust he could lift you, the finish was the backdrop suplex off the top. However, sometimes, he would give the business to the enhancement talent and drag it out.

Jarrett and maybe Bigelow for some odd reason are the only ones outside of Kid like you mention who will give just random guys offense. Now juxtapose that with WCW. I just got to a point in WCW where they stopped allowing the guys being brought in for enhancement matches to go damn near 50-50 with the contracted talent. Scott Studd (bka Scotty Riggs) gave a good account of himself in a match with Steve Austin, but there was no reason for him to be doing the same with the likes of Pez Whatley or Brady Boone. Poor Pez ain't the same worker as he was in years past, and poor Brady Boone is a botch machine. If they can't hide all your botches on a taped show, I don't know if you're cut out to be in the ring with upper tier talent.

• Like 1