DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

AEW was hoping that the comments CM Punk made about Hangman Adam Page in his upcoming ESPN Interview would not be part of the article/video Largely because AEW is actively trying to sign Page to a new long-term deal. There was an attempt at damage control going on. - WON.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

AEW was hoping that the comments CM Punk made about Hangman Adam Page in his upcoming ESPN Interview would not be part of the article/video Largely because AEW is actively trying to sign Page to a new long-term deal. There was an attempt at damage control going on. - WON.

I’m glad to see Meltzer (and you) pointing out the obvious. That this isn’t “Punk working a storyline or trying to draw money” it’s him being a bitter old man, and it could (and should if WWE offers more money) bite Khan in the rear end. 

To me losing Hangman is a much bigger deal than losing Max. Especially since losing him would suggest Kenny and the Jackson’s leave too. 

• Like 6

Just now, StuntmanCrowley said:

At this point, Khan deserves any and all fallout from kowtowing to Punk at every single juncture.  

Which is what tells me Max won’t leave. He seems like the type that’s going to try to work this into an angle, then when he and Punk don’t draw the kind of money they expect he’ll be shocked. Plus if the Elite go you know Khan will just give Max the CM Punk treatment of kissing his butt at every turn. 

I can see MJF doing some kind of Pillman thing where he suckers Tony Khan to either release him and go to WWE.   Although if the money is great (and it has to be great for him I think) he may stay.  

The thing about Punk is that really is what old school wrestlers think the new wrestlers are.    Well except Kevin Nash who seems to have support the things he does.   Also if you want to play conspiracy theorist,  maybe he just put that shit out there so that people will re watch him win the title.   I know 2003-2008 version of Punk would have done that.  

Edited by hammerva

Just now, elizium said:

Eh, that was much ado about nothing. Pretty much just rehashing everything already known

Exactly, but he had to try and stir some shit up before the show created just for him airs.  I'll quit while I'm ahead, as I definitely have a bit of "drew" when it comes to Punk, but seriously, fuck that guy and I can't wait for him to piss off eventually.

• Thanks 2

Sometimes I think the wrestling media is more carny than the actual wrestlers and promoters.

If that article makes anyone mad, they probably already had formed a negative opinion about CM Punk in the first place. What a big nothingburger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

"Facechopper" Adam Page

What's hilarious about this to me in particular is I remember Punk accidentally chopping someone in the face on an ROH show in New Jersey. Then he looked at the chopee as if it were his fault. So ... maybe a 15-year receipt?

• Like 1

I quite liked the Punk vs Page match.

Spoiler

CM Punk vs.  Adam Page

MD: I am relatively new to Adam Page. I hadn't seen any AEW until Punk and Danielson showed up and it's not like the blog has gone out of its way to cover 2010s NJPW. In fact, given the prevalence of that style in the overall community, one could argue that we went out of our way not to cover it. I like the interviews I hear from Page. I appreciate his social media presence. I admire that the guy has persevered through his issues and has been open with them. I think there are certain things he does very well in the ring. He emotes well. His stuff hits hard and clean. He brings a lot of energy and aggression and dynamism. We all liked the Archer match from earlier this year. In general, though, his matches kind of drive me nuts. He goes straight from punching and chopping to the fallaway slam/kip up/springboard clothesline spot, usually followed by a dive, and he never looks back after that. I don't know if it's taken from an all-bombs NJPW style I'm not familiar or just Brock-ism, and I get that I'm an outlier on both fronts, but the lack of mid-level offense that lets a match build before escalation really gets to me. There absolutely isn't one way to do things and there shouldn't be, but his matches somehow both seem to miss a chunk of something integral while still being overflowing with stuff. 

Meanwhile, CM Punk has been all over the promotion, and he's brought with him this sort of Neo-Bret-ism: slowing things down, fighting hard over the value and payoff of single spot, bringing the bodyslam back into wrestling, heavy focus on limb selling that reoccurs throughout a match and drives narratives, interesting match layouts that work around the commercial breaks. Danielson, on the other hand, has brought a sort of hard-nosed, forward pressing aggression that interfaces with whoever he's in the ring with. It meant that Page's matches with him ended up less of a clash of styles but instead a merging of them. 

In the ring, this match embodied the underlying stories of the program far better than the lead-up or promos or announcers had been able to present them. It felt like a battle between at least what I imagine the AEW of 2019 and 2020 to be and what the AEW of 2022, with a broader roster and more diverse inspirations, seems to be. Page had overcome his demons, overcome the challenges that plagued him in 2019 and 2020 and finally conquered the AEW that he helped create. In the meantime, however, he had taken months off for the birth of his child and the AEW he returned had grown and changed, in ways that were not at all aligned with his norms and values. Despite that, he had overcome Danielson, only to see that CM Punk was in the center of every promotional image, only to watch Punk lay down those bodyslams and start to pull things back to a world that he felt that the Elite had transcended, building back up old idols that they had successfully torn down, just as the successful NJPW of the 2010s didn't resemble the NJPW of the 80s or 90s and as the Young Bucks continuously have immense success tearing down the norms of traditional tag team wrestling. He finally won, finally reached the top of the mountain, only to realize that it wasn't everything he had hoped and dreamed for. He faced down the challenge of Danielson, a physical challenge, one based on hard work and toughness, only to realize that there was a more invasive, more perfidious challenge before him and his kingdom, in the preachings of Punk. And Punk, who was working with all of the younger talent, who was putting the time and effort in, who was trying to be a decent human being no matter how much of a strain it was when he's just naturally a grumpy bastard, didn't see why Page was so upset over a little thing like his heresy. But a king has to defend his kingdom, from ideas most of all, and Punk, more secure in his own skin after all he'd been through, realized he had the higher moral ground for once. And he acted upon it.

So the match, a match still between two crowd-favorites, between two babyfaces, became less about who would win and more about who was right? In the end, that mattered far more to Page than to Punk. Page had his doubts. Punk had arrogant assurance. Punk wanted to win more, but he had his ego and he believed in his values, and he was going to return Page's affronts within the match with ones of his own. As the match went on, it got both of them in trouble. It took both of their eyes off the ball and the fans, otherwise equal, united in expressing their frustration at either when that occurred. You rarely see that in a match where the fans were not booing the wrestlers, but instead passing judgment upon their actions. You'd see it more in older Japanese matches when someone took a liberty. Here it was when they stopped and taunted, when they refused to follow up but basked in the moment instead, when they tried to prove something instead of trying to win. Maybe, just maybe, Page could beat Punk in a wrestling match all things equal. There's no way in the world that Page could win a pissy bitching content with Punk, though. No one could. That's what he chose to fight, and in the end, after he tossed Punk over the table, after he watched Punk stumble about failing to hit Buckshots, after he hit a GTS of his own, he stood there in the center of the ring, belt in hand, living a Wrestlemania 8 Bret vs Piper moment, and completely lost and adrift. How had he gotten there? Who was he anymore? What had he fought so hard for? It certainly wasn't this. He tried to change course, tried to get back onto the path, but it was too late. 

So, yeah, I liked it.

• Like 3