DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

19 minutes ago, zendragon said:

OC as the silence behind the violence and the voice of the millennial generation needs to be a thing

He wasn't on that I remember, but I really liked Best Friends' old Highspots show for that reason. Reminded me of the countless hours in my teens and 20s spent hanging around shooting the shit, killing a 30 rack with a bunch of guys (if any of my friends actually watched current wrestling, that is). If you're 30-40 years old, those guys probably have similar sensibilities in at least one area - very relatable (and makes them really easy to root for).

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I wish I loved anything as much as old school southern wrestilng fetishists love overlooking that like 99% of old school southern wrestlers are the absolute worst dirtbags.

not to be confused with old school non-southern wrestlers who are also dirtbags

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Casey said:

This is the rumor, actually.

Matt Menard made a joke about being paired with Billy Gunn as GoDaddy, managed by Danica Patrick

Sadly, I don't think the tournament is going to end in a 2-ring BattleBowl, but random pairings will be fun. As long as they're not too obviously worked

Edited by elizium

On 6/20/2023 at 10:26 AM, The Natural said:

One of my favourite Eddie Kingston videos. Kingston vs. Michael Jordan. NSFW.

So much to love about this clip. Eddie Kingston's swearing especially, the beeps, Ethan Page sniggering and Evil Uno as an alien according to the Mad King. Eddie's a treasure. Slap that AEW World Championship on him next.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

So now that Fuego's run is over... that big contract signing deal sure went nowhere didn't it? Doing a quick count he made TV 7 or 8 times since (all losses), the only match that was in anyway meaningful was about a month after and his last two TV matches went 23 seconds and 1:56.

I believe some said this at a time but that sure seemed like an odd angle to do with someone they literally had no plans for.

• Sad 1

To prepare for Forbidden Door, I'm re-watching the 2022 iteration. Just the pre-show was quite a trip down memory lane. I had forgotten it was in the United Centre, that Kevin Kelly joined in on commentary, that Bishamon opened the show, that the NJPW ring announcer was there...

Just finished the main card opener. Mad King, Shooter, and Wheeler vs Suzuki, Jericho, and Sammy. The action, the storytelling, and THE CROWD were just SO GREAT.

Can't help but thinking that if someone had told me in, like, 2018, that in 2023 there would be a show in Canada with a bunch of New Japan wrestlers facing a bunch of indie and ex-ROH guys (and, like, an ex-CZW guy and Corazón de León)  and it would be an instant sell out in a huge arena with a white hot crowd and an insane level of heat and anticipation and expectations of being card of the year *again* - That would 100% have sounded way too good to be true.

And, while I'm feeling and being positive: I am also unreasonably happy about Eddie Kingston being in the G1 this year (though I am bummed he won't have a tournament match in Osaka). It's such a gruelling ordeal, but it's a dream come true for him. And he's earned the right to live it. The closest I can come to imagining that is maybe building up to a landmark kind of weight in the clean and press or deadlift, knowing it's gonna hurt and take a long time to recover from, but hitting it. Or working on a difficult piece of music until you can confidently perform it in front of a crowd. Or, thinking about some of my close friends, earning a black belt, completing a triathlon, fighting a death match, doing very extreme consensual bedroom stuff... Even, in a way, moving to another country with a wildly different language and culture. Don't know if it makes sense to anyone else, but it's that feeling of setting a very difficult goal for yourself, knowing that achieving it means pushing through difficulties, and earning the right to give it a try. To me, it's a peak human experience. It's, in a certain way, what being alive is all about. And competing in the G1 is SUCH a high level of that.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 8