DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUNE 2023

To be fair,

I'm open to have a full-blown f---ing sit-down powwow discussion with everybody about it. But it hasn't happened yet, and it's not because of my lack of trying.

has big, "Why won't you debate me?!" energy.

• Like 5

Some news outlets definitely oversold that interview. I do think Punk is being a bit of an asshole about the Hangman stuff. For one thing, I thought their match was good at the time. I don't know if Hangman intentionally potato'ed or stiffed Punk or not. 

But largely, I put all of this on Tony Khan as he failed to manage any of this or get in front of any of this. 

But putting this interview against some of the biggest stories in the last year, it's not even in the top 20 or 30. And no one is really challenging or questioning Tony Khan on the handling of any of this, or Tony Khan simply goes "I can't talk about it.'

Edited by TheVileOne

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Some news outlets definitely oversold that interview. I do think Punk is being a bit of an asshole about the Hangman stuff. For one thing, I thought there match was good at the time. I don't know if Hangman intentionally potato'ed or stiffed Punk or not.

It reminds me of Punk's lone match in CZW against Justice Pain, which is objectively a good match - but since Pain felt overshadowed and lied to Zandig to get Punk fired, Punk has been burying it ever since

• Like 2

I don't think that interview was anything inflammatory. I kind of have Punk's POV on it. Shit happens. It's not that big of a deal. Let's get over it and move on. I get the sense Kenny isn't too bothered by much of this either (since at the time it was reported those two sat down with each other after the incident happened and before anyone left the building that night). To me the sticking point seems to be Hangman offended Punk. Punk now will not let go of that. And because of it, The Bucks won't let go of anything. It's a big old everyone is an asshole situation.

Punk shrugging it all off and saying let's all sit down and hash it out is my preferred way to handle it vs the melodramatic I considered quitting the business over this take The Bucks had on All Access. I'm not saying The Buck are wrong to feel some kind of way about it, or are wrong for sticking up for Hangman. I'm just saying crying about it on TV is not a good look when the other party is openly saying hey I want to sit down with them. Idk. No one here is innocent. No one is a victim. They're all wrong in certain aspects. But at least Punk is giving indications of let's grow up and move on.

As to the snark of Punk being off his game wondering if Hangman was shooting... eh I get it. Wrestling is an incredibly mentally taxing thing in the best of times. You have spots to remember. You have to be in the moment with character work and selling and psychology. You have to be listening to your audience and changing on a dime if they aren't with it. You have to be listening to the time cues from the ref and any notes from the agents being passed through the ref. You have to listen for what's being called by the other person. I get being off your game if you're throwing in extra thinking going towards wondering if a dude is sneaking shit it or if it's just legit an oops. Mentally a wrestling match is 100% a fight or flight adrenaline rush mixed with an exhausting constant calculation in your brain of whats next and am I doing this right and did I hear that right. It's not easy to throw in added shit like that. So I empathize with Punk there.

I do find it vindicating that Punk confirmed (as I had speculated a bunch of times in the threads) all the barbs being thrown back & forth by MJF & Eddie Kingston were ran by him ahead of time. People kept pointing to how what they said was so much worse. But they ran it by him. Hangman's line was not okayed ahead of time and that's why it pissed Punk off so much. Not a good look to sneak something into a national TV promo to make your dance partner look shoot bad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

To me the sticking point seems to be Hangman offended Punk. Punk now will not let go of that. And because of it, The Bucks won't let go of anything.

We were just talking in the General thread about how HHH earned his stripes by being a bag carrier for The Kliq - you've gotta wonder how much of Hangman's original animosity towards Punk was just him repeating whatever the Bucks put in his head since he was their Young Boy for a few years and is loyal to them.

Hunter was smart enough to realize hanging around Shawn and Nash was a stepping stone, but I'm not sure if Hangman has intentions to ever leave the gravy train behind.

4 hours ago, 赤い竜 said:

Tony Khan on Twitter revealed the commentary team for Collision are Kevin Kelly and Nigel McGuinness and Jim Ross. Jim Ross is doing analysis.

Ugh! Kevin Kelly seems like a real gentleman, but I hate listening to him call wrestling. Is there a Japanese commentary option?

• Haha 3

And here’s Samoa Joe to perfectly describe the entire Punk/Elite bullshit.

"This isn't a divide, it's an argument between men," says Joe. "All those dudes don't represent the entire genre of their generation. They have their own issues and their own
problems. I don't think it's that deep. They're grown-ass men. They have disagreements, they can figure it out
or not. That's between them."

• Like 5

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But at least Punk is giving indications of let's grow up and move on.

I mean, about the part he wants to move on from. He still seems to be angling for Hangman to be disciplined or something re: what happened over a year ago now, I can't see any other way to read the whole "and here we are over a year later and ain't s--- been done about it." bit.

It's nothing new but it reads very "what I am angry about is serious and is still worth being angry about, the stuff people are angry at me for is minor and we should all move on" which... does 100% sound like him.

• Like 7

Still we go round in circles on all this stuff. The way he hung the laundry out was wrong, 100%, but that’s the end of it. If Punk pisses you off or you disagree, fine, you’re entitled to that. I’ve followed him his entire career. His options and stories never change, never deviate and are never disproved. I love the guy, I hope he gets a healthy, exciting final chapter.

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 5:31 PM, Dolphman 3000 said:

Fuck's sake.  Now we're going to Zapruder a fucking errant slap from a year ago because thin skinned Phil is still salty about it.  Back...and to the left.

I thought Collision was good and Punk's return is what it is, but it'll honestly be a miracle if he doesn't lose it over some perceived slight and fuck up the whole deal again.

• Like 2

Between not hiding LGBTQ+ wrestlers, pushing minority wrestlers in non-stereotypical ways. etc., I'm pretty sure AEW has already let it be known their product is not for people of Mantell's ilk.  Go watch Hannity while the world moves on without you, please.

• Like 7

It's not a totally invalid question to ask if the framing were more of a business conversation on whether AEW would take a noticable financial hit for publicly doing the right thing - but this smells a little too much like incendiary false concern to me to be that conversation. Like an 'Im just asking questions!' sort of thing, when you know damn fucking well the answer. Not sure if maybe he was going for the former, and landed at the latter - best case scenario, arguably - but it's disappointing to say the least (especially during Pride). But hey ol' Dutch got the clicks and social engagement, and isn't that what REALLY matters

Just now, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's not a totally invalid question to ask if the framing were more of a business conversation on whether AEW would take a noticable financial hit for publicly doing the right thing - but this smells a little too much like incendiary false concern to me to be that conversation. Like an 'Im just asking questions!' sort of thing, when you know damn fucking well the answer. Not sure if maybe he was going for the former, and landed at the latter - best case scenario, arguably - but it's disappointing to say the least (especially during Pride). But hey ol' Dutch got the clicks and social engagement, and isn't that what REALLY matters

There's a reason why people saying they're "just asking questions" is referred to as JAQing off.

• Haha 8