DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

White House Plumbers

I might have to start a thread just for Limited Series TV... anyway all about Watergate

E. Howard Hunt = Woody Harrelson

G. Gordon Liddy = Justin Theroux

HBO Max on May 1

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

White House Plumbers

I might have to start a thread just for Limited Series TV... anyway all about Watergate

E. Howard Hunt = Woody Harrelson

G. Gordon Liddy = Justin Theroux

HBO Max on May 1

It's going to be hard to top Shea Whigham's portrayal of G. Gordon Liddy in Gaslit, also that who crew was a bunch of evil mother fuckers and hopefully this show hits on that.

9 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

My biggest movie hobbyhorse is that the truly definitive G Gordon Liddy portrayal is Harry Shearer in Dick.

That's a good one! My favorite in that movie is Bruce McCulloch doing Dustin Hoffman doing Carl Bernstein.

• Like 1

Watched the season premiere of Succession again and wound up getting the feeling that they'll kill Logan off in the penultimate episode. Maybe he has another stroke or something, but before he goes, he makes amends as best as he can with the kids. The the final episode is a time jump where Shiv is still doing, well, whatever it is that Shiv does, Kendall is still chasing the dragon but for the next hot business and not for drugs, and Roman winds up being the only legitimate business person of the three. 

And on first watch, Roman was my MVP of the episode just because he had all of the best jokes, "hmm, what does come after 9...? 9...b?" On second watch, I think for the first time Shiv was my MVP of the episode. I liked that she admitted that they both made mistakes, although I guess you could argue that Tom's mistake was going through with marrying Shiv in the first place. Although if I had a runner up for MVP it would be Logan just for how annoyed he was with Tom, "he's off his nut," calling Frank "Sid fucking Caesar," and asking people if they wanted to smell Greg's finger for a buck. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Weird ep of Ted Lasso this week. 

The additional 15 minutes, the massive time jump/montage. Lot of stuff set up that was interesting, but not sure if I want to see it either.

My guess is Zava is the West Ham plant, not Trent.

I would say the same, if we hadn't seen Rupert get pissed off about him in private. I do still think Zava jumps(but that is also what everyone expects, so they may swerve us). There may also be a point where Ted has to choose between Jaimie or Zava, and ends up choosing Jaimie, with that creating your requisite "team doubts the coach" subplot that gets resolved in a single episode.

• Like 1

If you want to see the best recent example of a show absolutely nailing its finale in a way that elevates the whole series from “a decent way to kill 10 hours” to “wait, was this a great show the whole time?” I direct your attention to DAISY JONES & THE SIX. That finale has been living in my head since I watched it two days ago.

I'm giving it enough rope to hang itself, but I'm guessing Mayfair Witches will end up on the opposite end of that spectrum. I read all of the Witching Hour books because my mom had borrowed a couple from a friend and left them around the house. And 14-year-old me hadn't seen a book series with so much sex in it, so naturally, I stuck with it past it being any good.

Rice is like King for me in that respect: lots of ideas that had merit but I never thought the execution was up to par from a writing perspective, but hey, they made their fortunes, I guess.

And I don't know if this will be adapted well, or well enough. Some scenes are fittingly modern and punched up in dialogue quality...but then the opener ends on one of the hokiest fucking shots I've ever seen since Prestige TV became a thing. And why is this a "universe" already? This and Interview have done ONE season each. Get an ego when you get a fanbase, guys.

Two interesting things about the casting, though. One is Harry Hamlin, who, generously, has been a bad casting decision in basically everything. This might, uh, be the first role of his life where that's not the case. Massive, massive creepjob right out of the gate: even his odious plastic surgeries fit the character. The other is Jack Huston, who played one of the all-time great supporting roles in Boardwalk Empire and I've been waiting for him to do something else that fucking great ever since. But since he's one of the mains and the character is one of the least interesting in the series, I'm guessing it's going to be another 'no' on that front. Le sigh.

Edited by Contentious C

Harry Potter series is in the works for HBO.  One book = one season.

JK Rowling will be involved but is not the showrunner.  Her involvement is probably due to those latest movies bombing and because being a TERF is expensive. 

Also to just remind you of how old you are, the first movie came out 22 years ago.  

Ok Succession folks, what am I supposed to be reading in to Kendall's phone conversation with Mattson and not telling Roman or Shiv about it? Mattson flat out says that he'll walk if they try to squeeze more money from him, the other kids are either worried about that or think because of Stewy and Sandi that they'll be able to squeeze more money out. Kendall has the word straight from the horses mouth that the deal is dead if they go for more money, so what gives? Why not divulge those details to the other siblings and why even lie about have a call with Mattson?

It feels like Kendall is now trying to fuck this deal up for everyone, but I can't quite figure out why.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Ok Succession folks, what am I supposed to be reading in to Kendall's phone conversation with Mattson and not telling Roman or Shiv about it? Mattson flat out says that he'll walk if they try to squeeze more money from him, the other kids are either worried about that or think because of Stewy and Sandi that they'll be able to squeeze more money out. Kendall has the word straight from the horses mouth that the deal is dead if they go for more money, so what gives? Why not divulge those details to the other siblings and why even lie about have a call with Mattson?

It feels like Kendall is now trying to fuck this deal up for everyone, but I can't quite figure out why.

I think it could be one of two things (or both, really). One, Kendall is just naturally self-destructive. Mattson telling him not to do it is all he needed to hear to make him want to do it. The other thing is that he thinks he saw some sort of weakness in Mattson for even making that call. Like, if he's calling me and talking so tough, he must be nervous about something. It's such an obviously bad move, of course Kendall would go that way.

So much of Succession is built on the Roy kids thinking they are so much more savvy and smart than they actually are.

• Like 2

I think I posted the first trailer but maybe I didn't - anyway here is a new one

Silo

The ensemble cast starring alongside (Rebecca) Ferguson includes Common (“The Chi”), Emmy nominee Harriet Walter (“Succession”), Chinaza Uche (“Dickinson”), Avi Nash (“The Walking Dead”), Critics Choice Award and NAACP winner David Oyelowo (“Selma”), Emmy-nominee Rashida Jones (“Parks and Recreation”) and Academy Award winner Tim Robbins (“Mystic River”).

Showrunner and writer is Graham Yost (Band of Brothers, Justified)

Academy Award nominee Morten Tyldum (“Defending Jacob,” “The Imitation Game”) directs the first three episodes

First two episodes will drop May 5th and then one episode a week on Fridays.

Based on the Silo series of books by Hugh Howey

started The Wire this week, already halfway into S2. I don’t think they’ve had a character I’ve hated quite as much as Ziggy before now, but man oh man. What a little punk.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, driver said:

Whatever happened to Jeff Altman?

Nothing since 2017 on his wiki. 

1. I loved his stand up album.

2. I don’t remember him as Boss Hogg’s nephew Hughie Hogg in 6 episodes of Dukes of Hazzard.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Nothing since 2017 on his wiki. 

1. I loved his stand up album.

2. I don’t remember him as Boss Hogg’s nephew Hughie Hogg in 6 episodes of Dukes of Hazzard.

Oh I remember Hughie! He pretty much hatch a scheme with Boss and Roscoe only to double cross them forcing Boss to ask Jesse and the boys for help

James