DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The Sympathizer

Executive Producers:  Park-Chan Wook (Oldboy), Robert Downey Jr.

An A24 Production

Featuring: Sandra Oh, Hoa Xuande, Fred Nguyen Khan, Toan Le, Duy Nguyễn, Vy Le, Alan Trong, and RDJ playing several roles.

Based on the Pulitzer Prize winning totally badass novel written by Viet Thanh Nguyen

Coming to HBO Max in 2024

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Arguably the best place for it to go, considering the people involved and how they are connected in some people's minds, but...file this under "The Second-Craziest Thing About Woody Harrelson"...

Evidently, Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey might be half-brothers; during a family gathering that Harrelson's family attended, McConaughey's mom intimated that some other, ah, intimations happened with Harrelson's dad, and they'd be roughly around the time Matthew was conceived (apparently he's long held doubts that his dad was his father; wonder how much that filtered into Rust's weird secondhand relationship with the elder Cohle). 

Imagine how pissed Marty and Rust would be if they found out they were related.

Edited by Contentious C

15 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Arguably the best place for it to go, considering the people involved and how they are connected in some people's minds, but...file this under "The Second-Craziest Thing About Woody Harrelson"...

Evidently, Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey might be half-brothers; during a family gathering that Harrelson's family attended, McConaughey's mom intimated that some other, ah, intimations happened with Harrelson's dad, and they'd be roughly around the time Matthew was conceived (apparently he's long held doubts that his dad was his father; wonder how much that filtered into Rust's weird secondhand relationship with the elder Cohle). 

Imagine how pissed Marty and Rust would be if they found out they were related.

Hey Matthew, did you know your dad is a murderer? 

On 4/12/2023 at 2:51 PM, J.T. said:

The Sympathizer

Executive Producers:  Park-Chan Wook (Oldboy), Robert Downey Jr.

An A24 Production

Featuring: Sandra Oh, Hoa Xuande, Fred Nguyen Khan, Toan Le, Duy Nguyễn, Vy Le, Alan Trong, and RDJ playing several roles.

Based on the Pulitzer Prize winning totally badass novel written by Viet Thanh Nguyen

Coming to HBO Max in 2024

I am going to absolutely fucking love this.

EDIT: You know what I love about it in the first place? The kid who knows absolutely nothing about the Vietnam war. I've had to educate more than ONE person about World War II, when my granddad, who was a Marine Sergeant veteran of Iwo Jima AND Guadalcanal, who I have his machete from that on my wall, along with his flashlight (which still works), and his first aid kid. I loved that man. He lived in the basement of his home the rest of his life. He had a shower down there and everything and only came up to to eat, read the paper, go to the flea market, and hunt with a friend, because he fell out with my grandma and they stayed together like people did from them days. I love that kid giving him shit.

EDIT II: He was also in charge of artillery which not only destroyed his hearing but made him have to recognize his fellow soldiers by their tattoos on their body parts. And I only know that through my uncle. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

On 4/12/2023 at 2:41 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

True Detective: Night Country

Starring Jodie Foster and Kali Reis

"Coming this year" on "Max"

I thought this would be a bit gimmicky with the darkness angle, and it looked a little like it was borrowing a ton from Wind River to me, but then the spiral showed up and I marked out like a little baby, so...there you are, then.

Edited by Contentious C

Record for it took this damn long for someone to get around to casting him as much as he ought to be?

Also, Mayfair Witches is TERRIBLE.  Like, "worst show AMC has done in years" level of bad.  The books are...not good themselves, but ugh, aside from maybe one big change that honestly was necessary, every single thing they changed from the books was dumb as dogshit.  It's not nearly weird or creepy or insane enough to justify its existence.  I suppose casting Jack Huston in his particular role is a good barometer for that, since that character is supposed to be way more alien and uncanny, rather than some dude in a suit.  And they completely face-planted the ending.  I guess the showrunners thought they were making some changes that would retain a female audience by getting rid of a lot of the objectively-worst behavior from the characters, but they also made them completely boring in the process and gutted a lot of the potential for suspense.  I wonder how bad AMC butchered Interview with the Vampire now, though I think those books are even worse.

Edited by Contentious C

The WGA strike authorization vote has finished with 97.85% of voters in favor of the strike.  So unless a lot of entertainment execs get their shit together in a short amount of time we can probably expect another writer's strike.

17 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

The WGA strike authorization vote has finished with 97.85% of voters in favor of the strike.  So unless a lot of entertainment execs get their shit together in a short amount of time we can probably expect another writer's strike.

In this ten thousand word essay, I will explain how this impacts AEW media rights....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I liked the first two episodes of Barry only because this is the life and world Barry has created. He's destroyed so many of the lives around him, including his own, and it's a study of that and a man who is seriously mentally ill. The trajectory of this series is still unlike I've anything I've seen before. 

Oh yeah, while I was ill over the last couple weeks, I decided to finally binge and watch The Leftovers. Holy shit. Instant "top 10 TV series I've ever seen." I understood I needed to stick out the first season and it was good, but there was a lot that bugged me (the GR, Patti, almost anything with Meg, Jill being a dick to Aimee, Jill being a dick to everyone). And then nearly everything that bugged me either turned into something great or just stopped existing. I hesitate to say anything more about the series to not spoil it for anyone who may want to watch it, but it's really fucking good. It makes me want Damon Lindelof to take a second crack at LOST on something like HBO with a 4 season run with 10 episodes per season. I realize I'm pretty much the biggest LOST fan on here, but I love that show so much and it occurred to me that I basically watched the holy trinity of Lindelof shows: LOST, The Leftovers, and Watchman. 

As for anyone that has watched it, regarding the ending...

Spoiler

I'm inclined to believe Nora. Like, I 90% think she's telling the truth about the device working. I definitely went searching out different opinions for the ending and wasn't surprised to see people pretty split on whether or not she was lying. The one reason it makes me think she could have been lying was what Laurie says to Kevin - you can't tell a crazy person that they're crazy, you have to act like you believe what they're saying. There's the example where Dean tells Kevin that dogs were evolving and were in control of the government, and when Kevin tells him that's crazy, Dean winds up killing himself. So Nora tells this wild story about what happened with finding the device, entering it, and everything that happened after and she says something to Kevin like, "you probably don't believe me" and Kevin is quick to say that he does believe her. So, I suppose I'm on the side that mostly believes Nora, but knows there's a chance she really just went into hiding in Australia.

The other wildcard is Laurie being alive. I thought she definitely killed herself because Nora even tells Laurie in an earlier episode how easy it would be to kill yourself and make it look like an accident. And then there Laurie is in the finale. So I guess if there could be a third side to the coin, it's that the finale takes place in another universe.

I really did enjoy how off-putting it was to Nora that Kevin was trying to portray himself as this super nice and polite guy and then after Nora runs off and Kevin tracks her back down again, he's just all f-bombs and is talking like the Kevin we know. And that's why I believe Nora. At the end it feels like each character shed all of their lies and bullshit and it wouldn't make sense, to me at least, to have Nora keep up a lie when they're just down to their bare selves.

So to sum it all up, somewhere, in some universe, some Thanos-like dude snapped a whole lot of people away, those people are just completely gone from every universe, Kevin was immortal and ultimately gave up that immortality when he destroyed the hotel-verse, and Nora has somehow lived an even wilder life than Kevin, traveling to another universe and back. Yeah, this is definitely my kind of TV series.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

first two eps of Barry. Wasnt really feeling it.

I started last season thinking, "Oh no! Does Barry suck now?" and it came around for me big time. I have faith this season will do the same.

23 hours ago, Contentious C said:

I wonder how bad AMC butchered Interview with the Vampire now, though I think those books are even worse.

I actually regret not DVRing the whole season because the two times I caught it, it was a total gorefest. The vampires had their own crematorium, yo. 

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 8:28 PM, John from Cincinnati said:

Don't worry, you've already met characters you'll come to hate far more than Ziggy.

Y’know, I hated McNulty but not as much as Ziggy. Well… Ziggy was just really annoying and entitled, I guess. But I just got to S5 and… yeah, McNulty takes the cake. What a fuckin’ idiot.

S3-S4 was some goddamn amazing television.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Y’know, I hated McNulty but not as much as Ziggy. Well… Ziggy was just really annoying and entitled, I guess. But I just got to S5 and… yeah, McNulty takes the cake. What a fuckin’ idiot.

S3-S4 was some goddamn amazing television.

McNulty is shitty, but I was actually talking about

Spoiler

Herc