DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Succession tonight was giving me major Elizabeth Holmes vibes, not to mention that it was really tense with everything going on in the episode.

Barry on the other hand was fucked up, even more than usual given the body count of important characters, and it had a total WTF ending.

Edited by Craig H

I think the ending to that episode of Barry was pretty obvious from the jump. They set it up in the previous one, too.

All I want out of Succession is for Kendall & Roman to be majorly embarrassed and Shiv & Tom to find happiness together. Yeah I’m weird, but I love Shiv & Tom so much.

• Like 1

Love Barry (haven't watched this week yet) and Succession (did watch), but Somebody Somewhere is my dark-horse favorite of current HBO Sunday night shows.

I'm a sucker for these funny/sweet/sad shows (like Reservation Dogs) set in small towns. I don't think I've ever seen a Hollywood production nail how a small town actually looks, the people look and act, and just the general vibe of a real Midwestern town like this show.

It's a breeze to watch. No lingering mysteries or things to really keep track of. It's just funny and sweet and sometimes it hits you in the gut with how sad it can be. I blew through the first season in a couple days. Check it out if this sounds like something you'd be into.

• Like 1

Sounds like I have to check Somebody Somewhere out! That looks like a really great slice-of-life show.

I never quite got all-in on Succession like many other people. I kind of need a character to root for in shows. But it’s obviously so well done. 

I do think they missed a fun creative choice along the way. Imagine how much different the show would be if Tom was actually really great at his job and what it meant for Shiv? 

Tom is actually really great at his job. Shiv doesn't care if he's great at his job though. They've made it clear over and over again that Shiv isn't a monogamous person when Tom is and Tom isn't enough of a scumbag for Shiv. Tom is a ball buster, but he's not a scumbag. You have to look back to the very first episode of the series where the present he gives Logan is an expensive watch. Tom thinks it's a super thoughtful gift and then has a cooked up response to Logan that every time you look at the watch you know how much money you have. That right there is who Tom is, or was.

Shiv doesn't want thoughtful. That's why in last night's episode she gets turned on by Tom because she has his attention, he bites the shit out of her so she knows he can hurt her, and he reveals how important money is to him. That's ultimately what she wants. Tom's already great at running ATN. He doesn't have multiple people looking to have him take over for Cyd without his work there. Not to mention he was willing to fall on the sword for damn near everyone. 

I think this is one of those fallacies that people have for characters in Succession, that none of them are good at their jobs, Kendall included, when in reality most of them are pretty good at what they do...it's just that none of them are good for the job of being Logan Roy. Out of everyone, Shiv is probably the most out of her element. She failed at being a political strategist/operative, she has no corporate experience, and now she's backed the wrong horse in Matsson, underestimating Kendall in the process.

Kendall is probably the most underrated individual in the entire series because he's been shown as such a broken person and drug addict. Kendall is almost too good at his job. There is no more powerful drug for him than this job. He's shown flashes of this before, but Logan was always his achilles heel. Now his dad is gone, he has the power, and the chains are off the guy now. The problem with that is that as good of a big ideas guy and talker as Kendall is, he's all id. He's going to Theranos the fuck out of Waystar Royco, or at least that's what my immediately feeling was last night. 

I really don't know what I want out of the ultimate ending for everyone. I think I want them all to be happy and find their place in this world. They're all abused children and I want to just see them figure their shit out. For Roman I want to see him finally give in and grieve and realize he's not a fuck up. For Shiv, it would be nice to see her develop some self-awareness and finally figure out a place where she fits in. For Kendall it would be to not be so controlled by his id and find some kind of balance between excess and brilliance and solemnity. For Tom, it would be finding a woman who isn't going to treat him like shit. I'd like for Frank to finally get some recognition for being maybe the smartest guy in the room with the most patience. He's been fired and rehired so many times and has been the backbone to this company for so long, but no one ever sees that except for maybe Kendall. I want Karl to get his island in Greece. I want Gerri to not get shit on so much by damn near everyone. I think more than anything I just want to see these people hug one another and find some love for one another. I don't think we're going to get that though because this isn't a show about normal people.

And Barry...I don't think that ending was that obvious. A lot of people and reviewers were caught off guard by it. I don't think anyone saw any of this coming:

Spoiler

Hank letting Cristobal die.

Gene shooting and possibly killing his son.

Sally giving up her entire career and realizing it's over.

Sally giving in and running off with Barry.

Sally and Barry actually living out Barry's fantasy.

I still don't know how this series ends without Barry dying. It's like Breaking Bad and Walter White not dying. Barry has done way, way, way, way, way too much awful shit throughout the series. And I wouldn't be surprised if that ending...

Spoiler

is still a fantasy. Sally looks like a housewife and is wearing pink and she NEVER dresses in either of those things except in Barry's fantasies. Then you have the landscape that mirrors Barry's flashback from an episode or two ago. Plus, it also reminds me of Barry's near death experience from last season. It wouldn't surprise me if what we saw at the end is happening in Barry's head as he's dying and either Sally or Moss is the one to kill Barry.

• Like 1

9-1-1 is moving from FOX to ABC

Technically FOX cancelled the show and ABC immediately picked it up for its 7th season

However - FOX is keeping 9-1-1: Lone Star which got renewed for its 5th season

For those keeping track at home - 9-1-1 is the one that stars Angela Bassett. Reno is the one that stars Rob Lowe

My friend had a small role in 9-1-1 Lone Star. That's all I got. I've never watched it. He said he got to have a scene with Benito Martinez. All I could ask is if he mentioned to him how the Shield is his favorite series of all time.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Craig H said:

My friend had a small role in 9-1-1 Lone Star. That's all I got. I've never watched it. He said he got to have a scene with Benito Martinez. All I could ask is if he mentioned to him how the Shield is his favorite series of all time.

A local comedy troupe who has done MST3K style movie riffs for years started doing live riffs of 911 Lone Star on Twitch during the height of the Covid shutdowns. I've never watched the show but even just the screenshots and plot devices they have in their twitter gets across just how ridiculous it is.

• Like 1

The writer's strike is officially on as of midnight.  Pretty much everybody expects this to be a long one.

This is a pretty good breakdown of the what the guild wants and what the studios are (and aren't) offering.

• Like 2

To wit:  Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, and Jimmy Fallon have all announced they're suspending production in solidarity with the WGA.

Saturday Night Live is also suspending production. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Here comes another huge wave of shit reality programming or C-tier sports to fill the void.

SLAMBALL! THIS IS YOUR TIME TO SHINE!

And/including wrestling, I guess?

• Like 1

Revisiting the 2007 writers' strike on Twitter. It pretty much killed the show Heroes as they rushed a new, short, terrible storlyine arc for what was only their second season. Another young NBC show, Friday Night Lights, also had their second season during the writers strike that included a ridiculous murder storyline and a new character that were never mentioned again when the third season started.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

Revisiting the 2007 writers' strike on Twitter. It pretty much killed the show Heroes as they rushed a new, short, terrible storlyine arc for what was only their second season. Another young NBC show, Friday Night Lights, also had their second season during the writers strike that included a ridiculous murder storyline and a new character that were never mentioned again when the third season started.

On the other hand, that writer's strike may have contributed to killing overly long seasons of TV, which is a definite plus.

In any event, pay the fucking writers. None of these fucks have tv shows without them.

• Like 5

Per Variety - one show that won't be affected is House of the Dragon as the scripts for Season 2 have already been completed

On 4/30/2023 at 12:17 AM, Greggulator said:

I plowed through all eight episodes of Jury Duty. It is not for everyone but if it is for you then it is FOR YOU. On top of it being just completely insane, there is a really great heart behind it, too. 

Hide contents

The guy who is the non-actor seems like a really fantastic person. The reason why the show works so well is that he is a straight man without knowing. It is a little bit different than all of the Nathan Fielder stuff (which I love) because so much of the comedy in Jury Duty is not directed at Ronald but more directed towards him. 

The scene where they are playing the board game is on the short list of funniest things I have ever seen on television. I had tears rubbing down my face that entire scene.

Just a really great and captivating 8 hours of television.

Finished up Jury Duty last night.

Great bingeable show.

Probably the best role I've ever seen for James Marsden.

Seriously, I've never been impressed by him in anything.

I loved the (not so) subtle dig at certain types of people in the episode at Margaritaville.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

To wit:  Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, and Jimmy Fallon have all announced they're suspending production in solidarity with the WGA.

Saturday Night Live is also suspending production. 

Seth Meyers told his staff he's going to pay them their salaries and maintain their benefits "as long as possible."

Jimmy Fallon's staff was informed they were losing their insurance and will not be paid for the duration.  

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Variety - one show that won't be affected is House of the Dragon as the scripts for Season 2 have already been completed

This is a very good thread on why you'd better brace yourself for how bad HotD is going to be this season:

Yeah, having writers involved in shooting is way more important than people realize, especially in TV, where a small change in, say, episode 3 can have a huge ripple effect on everything after.

I guess one thing HOTD might have in it’s favor is having GRRM on board as an executive producer. He should understand how to keep this thing on track more than most EPs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, having writers involved in shooting is way more important than people realize, especially in TV, where a small change in, say, episode 3 can have a huge ripple effect on everything after.

I guess one thing HOTD might have in it’s favor is having GRRM on board as an executive producer. He should understand how to keep this thing on track more than most EPs.

This might be the funniest thing anyone has ever posted on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Why am I not surprised it was Fallon...

Anyway, Colbert will just probably go back to his weeks off where they regurgitate prior episodes from prior weeks (or months in this case). He warned us about this on Monday at least which was a solid for the viewers.