DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 4/18/2023 at 12:33 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I actually regret not DVRing the whole season because the two times I caught it, it was a total gorefest. The vampires had their own crematorium, yo. 

AMC's Interview with a Vampire was actually pretty decent.  They did best they could with all of that Anne Rice emo vampire bullshit.  The casting of Jacob Anderson as Louis is pretty inspired and not as "woke" as you might think.

It makes you wonder how Anne Rice could write a novel about vampires living in the Pre-Antebellum South and totally ignore any racial context. This makes Neil Jordan's movie version with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt even more indigestable.

Edited by J.T.
  • Thanks 1

Dave is just one of the best series on TV. This season has been great and tonight's episode was killer. I felt so fucking bad for Ally. The show hasn't really done anything that uncomfortable that gave off rapey vibes like that and it made me feel pretty sick to my stomach watching it. I had a feeling that dude was going to pull the "you owe me sex because you sent me a nude" card and he sure as fuck did. And I have a feeling Dave probably doesn't know about that part of Ally's misadventure. And then you have the juxtaposition of Dave with Robyn and how fucked up and awkward Dave was before he left. Maybe I misread the moment between Dave and Robyn, but it seemed like Dave unintentionally conned Robyn into having sex and then stomped all over her feelings at the end, which was Robyn feeling the exact way Dave was describing what he was looking for.

• Thanks 1

reactions through 2 episodes of the Beavis and Butthead 2nd revival season

Meditation Sucks wasn't bad, I think the other 3 shorts were better

Polling Place had a hilarious ending

Old Man Beavis had the hilarious reaction to a trick shot video

For some reason Tom Anderson telling Korean War stories filled out the end of Old Man Beavis

Hunting Trip in which Butthead nearly gets shot

It's possible this is gonna be better than the 1st revival season (and not just because there's no talking fire episodes in the first 2 episodes). Keep an eye out for it on Comedy Central next year if you don't have Paramount+ or PrimeVideo or whatever

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

reactions through 2 episodes of the Beavis and Butthead 2nd revival season

Meditation Sucks wasn't bad, I think the other 3 shorts were better

Polling Place had a hilarious ending

Old Man Beavis had the hilarious reaction to a trick shot video

For some reason Tom Anderson telling Korean War stories filled out the end of Old Man Beavis

Hunting Trip in which Butthead nearly gets shot

It's possible this is gonna be better than the 1st revival season (and not just because there's no talking fire episodes in the first 2 episodes). Keep an eye out for it on Comedy Central next year if you don't have Paramount+ or PrimeVideo or whatever

The first episode is on youtube.

Watched with my son last night. He thought it was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

Did ANYONE finish and/or watch Snowfall? This last season was just brutal. It pretty well fit my mood. And I have to say, one of the best set of actors in an FX series in awhile. 

Spoiler

I seriously hope that Oso getting that phone call was positive, but if it was a setup, I would be totally unsurprised. Franklin... well, he slipped on a couple banana peels but he deserved it despite everything. Oso deserved nothing but to train kids in lucha the rest of his life until he was a well-regarded maestro. 

And since I'm on the subject of FX shows, the last season of Mayans is coming out (something that I'm sure nobody watches on here) and that's gonna have as bad an end as SoA probably.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

I am catching up on things and it basically appears unless you were a Marvel show or a Star Wars show - Disney has cancelled it

Far as I can tell

• National Treasure: Edge of History
  • Big Shot
  • The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers
  • Mysterious Benedict Society

Have all been cancelled

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did ANYONE finish and/or watch Snowfall? This last season was just brutal. It pretty well fit my mood. And I have to say, one of the best set of actors in an FX series in awhile. 

Hide contents

I seriously hope that Oso getting that phone call was positive, but if it was a setup, I would be totally unsurprised. Franklin... well, he slipped on a couple banana peels but he deserved it despite everything. Oso deserved nothing but to train kids in lucha the rest of his life until he was a well-regarded maestro. 

And since I'm on the subject of FX shows, the last season of Mayans is coming out (something that I'm sure nobody watches on here) and that's gonna have as bad an end as SoA probably.

Finished up on Thursday night. Enjoyed every season, and yes, this last one was pretty brutal.

• Like 1

Barry is definitely going to be dead by the end of the series. I don't see any way out of it for him at this moment. The only question is, who kills him.

Gene is probably the odds on favorite using the gun Rip Torn gave him, followed by Moss' dad, and then Sally, and then the longest shot is NoHo Hank or some other Chechen.

That was both one of the funniest episodes of Ted Lasso and one of the saddest and then one of the most hopeful episodes. Roy Kent actually smiling and laughing at the idea of everyone's dicks being tied together was great.

• Like 1

I have no idea how many Beavis and Butthead episodes we're doing this season but this week's episodes..

Spoiler

1) Old Beavis and Old Butthead unknowingly testify to the city council to get their apartment building demolished

2) Non-old Beavis and Non-old Butthead try egging and toilet papering a house but are unable to pull it off in various ways

Also, I'm slightly alarmed at how familiar some of the shitty houses portrayed on this show are to places i've seen (I'm not from Texas either)

On 4/26/2023 at 12:47 PM, RIPPA said:

I can't remember if there is a Black Mirror thread and I am not looking so here

I love Black Mirror and Love, Sex, and Robots.  We will see if this season will be good enough to inspire me to renew my Netflix account.

I thought this was a joke but then I realized it's the end of April and not the first.

SweetTooth is coming to Peacock.  God help us.

This looks like total garbage.   I am sooo looking forward to binging this shit.

Did anybody else watch Beef? We finished it yesterday, after bringing episodes 1-7. I honestly needed a break - it's definitely FAR more dark than comical. It's good/great but I never wanna see it again, if that makes sense. That might be more because I've known folks with similarly intense mental health issues, so YVMV. 

21 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Oh my god. This show Jury Duty on Amazon is nuts. So good. It is a documentary about jury duty where everyone is an actor except for one guy who has no idea. 

Everyone on my team at work has been talking about it. I planned on watching it this weekend.

20 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Oh my god. This show Jury Duty on Amazon is nuts. So good. It is a documentary about jury duty where everyone is an actor except for one guy who has no idea. 

That sounds like the night shift where I work where everybody is a rodeo clown except that they don't realize that they're rodeo clowns.

I plowed through all eight episodes of Jury Duty. It is not for everyone but if it is for you then it is FOR YOU. On top of it being just completely insane, there is a really great heart behind it, too. 

Spoiler

The guy who is the non-actor seems like a really fantastic person. The reason why the show works so well is that he is a straight man without knowing. It is a little bit different than all of the Nathan Fielder stuff (which I love) because so much of the comedy in Jury Duty is not directed at Ronald but more directed towards him. 

The scene where they are playing the board game is on the short list of funniest things I have ever seen on television. I had tears rubbing down my face that entire scene.

Just a really great and captivating 8 hours of television.