DVDVR Message Board

2023 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

IIRC the thread we had about wrestling themed TV episodes got locked. II also RC The Beverly Hillbillies didn’t come up. I’ve been watching this at my convenience for a couple months I think since it started coming on a local TV channel late at night. I’d seen it before obviously but never just sat down and watched it. This is actually a pretty well written show that’s funny, that has continuity every week lol! I don’t know what the occasion is but it’s on now and they had a wrestling episode that has carried over to the next episode that I’m watching now. 

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh I remember Hughie! He pretty much hatch a scheme with Boss and Roscoe only to double cross them forcing Boss to ask Jesse and the boys for help

James

That sounds like the most Hogg thing ever.

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

Oh I remember Hughie! He pretty much hatch a scheme with Boss and Roscoe only to double cross them forcing Boss to ask Jesse and the boys for help

James

That sounds like the most Hogg thing ever.

16 hours ago, J.H. said:

James

That sounds like the most Hogg thing ever

Edited by driver
too much post

Tonight's SUCCESSION

Spoiler

OMG. OMG. OMG. HE'S DEAD!

For the record, this is literally the funniest way for this to have happened. Of course, this happens on a fucking plane! 

• Like 2

I. Yeah. So. Succession. I’m at a complete loss for words.

It reminded me to much of

Spoiler

watching my own dad pass away when I was 17 and the chaos involved in someone who was dying from AIDS for years, but then finally passed on. Just all of the shock, denial, grief, anger, etc. was very familiar.

• Like 2

And…man…just to add

Spoiler

My dad wasn’t a great guy. He likely got sick because he cheated on my mom. He was a very angry person who was frequently verbally abusive or tough to my mom and me, and physically abusive from time to time with me. Intimidating. 

And even then, I miss the guy. I love him. He was my dad. But in that moment I was ready for him to go to give us some peace. I was almost happy, but numb, and sad.

This resonated with me way more than I expected it too.

• Like 3

Someone on Twitter pointed out, Shiv was upset because she was the last of the core 3 to find out.  BUT....  note that she refused Tom's calls *twice*.  He tried and she refused.  She would have been the first to know. 

Because normally, you know, what fucking ever, it's the soon-to-be ex.  He's probably calling about the board meeting or some new whim they all have to deal with. 

But not this time...

• Like 1

All four of the kids got different angles to come at their grieving and processing with, the call being one for Shiv. Roman's got the voicemail and Gerri and "you're not serious people" not being their last conversation because he was already back to doing the old man's bidding. Kendal's got his unwillingness to forgive. Connor got MARRIED as an afterthought, which is the most Connor thing ever.

Didn't think it'd happen but if I had an Emmy ballot, I'd be ticking Sarah Snook over Rhea Seehorn. Julia Garner not being up for a fourth supporting actress trophy might clear the field. 

Shiv wasn't too upset to be the last to find out. It was more of the panic of, why didn't anyone tell me and then Kendall was like, we did, it's been a clusterfuck, and he basically said without saying that she found out almost at the same time they did. It's one of those seconds/minutes can feel like an eternity when it really was just a difference of a few minutes.

I never expected an episode of Succession to be that intense or nerve wracking, but from the moment of Tom's call, all the way to the end, which is about 40 ish minutes or so, it's a total rollercoaster ride. They also pulled the audience into some stages of grief too. Early on I was doubting it or didn't want to believe it. I figured it was Logan fucking with them again or testing them, which I appreciate them finally bringing up near the end of the episode. For so long you don't really see a body and when they're doing chest compressions, it looks like it's on a dummy. They threw me off again when Kerry walked in looking like she caught a foul ball at a Yankees game and I thought, oh shit, he made it, they have him breathing again.

But where my memory went first because I'm a fucking dork. Yep. Lawler's heart attack on Raw.

• Like 1

Sarah Snook has been killing it as Shiv this season. Normally she's my least liked member of the cast and she's been fantastic in ever episode so far.

All of the kids need to be in constant group therapy with each other to sort out their issues with having decades of abuse and manipulation on their shoulders. 

I also think the "what's next" video for the rest of this season has a ton of red herrings. I can't see fucking Frank and Karl and Gerri of all people having a chance against Kendall, Roman, and Shiv. Oh god. Karl. Karl, as Logan is dying or dead gets up and goes, "well, I need a stiffener." This fucking guy cracks me up so much. Frank and Karl were always kept around as puppets for Logan to fuck with. Out of the two, only Frank seems like he knows what he's doing. Karl I can't tell you a single thing he's done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I figured it was Logan fucking with them again or testing them, which I appreciate them finally bringing up near the end of the episode. For so long you don't really see a body and when they're doing chest compressions, it looks like it's on a dummy.

People brought up both of those things to me, the testing them idea and it looking like a dummy. Neither occurred to me because one of the first times we see Tom on the phone, someone's rushing into the area where Logan is. Tom on the phone is radio, no need for anybody on board to be acting along. The episode was clearly structured in a way to get the audience going through that feeling of denial, but there was that immediate tip off that yes of course this is really happening. 

My prediction to my friend was that Logan would die in the third to last episode. I read an interview with Brian Cox in the NYT this morning and he thought the same. Episode 3 was not on our scorecard. 

Also from that interview they talk about how people are afraid to approach Cox because they see him so much as Logan. While I get that, for me, as silly as it is, I still think of him a lot from Super Troopers.

32 minutes ago, Craig H said:

“Should we tell Matsson he’s delayed?”

Karl: “Oh, well, he’s heavily fucking delayed.”

That, and "Reagan's, with tweaks" were my two favorite lines this week.

• Haha 1

Might be best for foreign TV but one show is on Hulu and the other on HBO. Both star the incredible Daisy May Cooper, who made the British comedy classic This Country. (The US version is Welcome to Flatch.)

The shows:

1) Am I Being Unreasonable is on Hulu. I cannot even really begin to describe this — a comedy/thriller/mystery all in one. Just trust me, it is so uniquely great. 

2) Rain Dogs is on HBO. It is about a struggling single mother in London trying to make it as a writer while enduring the struggle of being broke in modern London, all while managing a crazy relationship with a bizarre best friend. It is really dark funny. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

So @Greggulator's brother was playing Jeffrey Epstein on this week's Lucky Hank. Not THE Jeffrey Epstein though.

I have not watched yet. But one of my really good friends has a role on the show. Shannon DeVido, who is a character named Emma Wheemer. Shannon is so so so so talented. 

• Like 1

Oh! She rules on Lucky Hank. She's stolen a lot of scenes she's been in and tends to get some of the best lines.

I'm still on the fence for the series itself. I just don't know what this show is yet, or I do and it hasn't fully grabbed me. That's been a problem for a bunch of AMC shows that were good, but very slow to grab people and then wound up getting cancelled.