DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 - Q4

RIPPA

The whole celebration with Bayley just made me smile from ear to ear.  I love when wrestling makes me feel good.

I actually REALLY dug the Ciampa/Gargano vs Rhyno/Corbin match.  I'm slowly coming around on Corbin, since he's showing he can definitely hang when it comes to working competitive matches now.

Ziggler must've been pretty confused during Sasha's "I'm not here to have good matches I'm here to be the best" promo. Bayley/Sasha is by far the best thing going on in the E right now, and Bayley is becoming one of the best baby faces I've ever seen.

I thought Corbin looked really good in the tag match. He moves around and bumps well, and his cut off spots are instant death. That opening segment was Raw worthy in it's shittiness. Bull and Dillinger are jobbers 4-life, and I find both pretty cringe worthy(especially that overdone 10 crap). Good match from Crowe and Crews.

It has been a long time since I have wanted to see a match as much as I want to see The Ironwoman. Everything about that last segment was why I watch this incredibly dumb stuff. Bayley's victory lap was great and it really cemented everything great about her and her victory -- these little girls in the crowd have, for the first time ever, someone they can relate and look up. There's a dorky person just like them who isn't sure of herself all the time, and got picked on by the cool kids and had friends turn on her, who dug down deep and became the champion. The whole part with Izzy was wonderful.

The match itself was pretty good too -- a nice "heavy is the head" as Bayley has to fend off a game unknown. I loved Sasha coming down serious. She's still Sasha -- brash, confident, etc. And Bayley has her respect. But Sasha needs to be the best. Perfect storytelling and a good reason why we have the Ironwoman. The look on their faces was some wonderful acting. They're in the main event and it's awesome and they're living dreams but still want to win. Perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

That tag match was also really good. Gargano/other dude looked a lot better than last week. Gargano is still trying too hard and looked very VFW Hall to me with how he reacted to the crowd. But he's new to television and I can see that working out. Joe and Corbin are a really good team. Corbin's timing in this was great, too.

I still hate Crews's finishing segment. So dumb that a dude just flips right over on his back.

Dana Brook and Emma were great, too.

I enjoy Adam Rose and his many mediocre gimmicks. 

Love Crowe pulling the apron up over Crews on a baseball slide and giving him a hockey-style beatdown. 

I'm calling Apollo's gorilla press/splash combo Crews Control from now on. I hope the company gets on board with me. 

I couldn't wait for Corbin to End of Days those two indy geeks. I got half my wish. 

BAY-LEY BAY-LEY BAY-LEY BAY-LEY

Also, Sasha Banks should be filmed showing up to all events in a black Escalade from now on. 

Well, Adam Rose's new gimmick and promo proves that bad things can happen on NXT tv. Plus Tyler talking to his iPhone in photo mode, immersion ruined.

Still a great show overall, though.

I really hope Gargano and Ciampa get deals with NXT. That was a really nice formula tag that wasn't overdone at all. They balanced the speed/power and newcomer/vet dynamics really well and everyone came out looking good without finisher spam or nearfall overkill. Perfect little tv match.

Crowe has been really solid in the ring lately. It sucks that he's been lost in the shuffle, but can't deny that Crews is money. His finishing runs are quick, but he hits so many good-looking high-impact moves in succession that it's believable. He moves so well and comes across a legit cool dude just by his mannerisms and smile. I'd like to see these two have an extended feud with Crowe turning.

The final segment was great stuff as everyone mentioned. There are gonna be some super sweet then and now photos of Bayley and Izzy in 15 years. Sarah Dobson looked good. The promo with Sasha hit all the right notes did a good job blending their characters with their obvious emotional reactions to their reception and success. They both deserve everything good.

I thought this was the best Crowe has looked in NXT and hope that this is the start of a proper heel turn for him, the tenacious face thing just wasn't going to work and even though NXT's announcing is my favorite in WWE I didn't like how Graves switched up on Crowe in the middle of the match once it was obvious Crowe was going full heel on Crews. That should take more than half a segment.

I feel like there is something missing from Dillenger still part of it might be that I think he needs to hone the Perfect 10 stuff more by both toning it down a bit and by incorporating things that would work with it, like the 10 punches in the corner.

It also seems that Dana and Emma are pushing interviewer diva to the breaking point soon and it's going to be awesome when it happens.

Yeah, that opener was Five Finger Death Punch-bad. I like Adam Rose and I want him to keep a job but what the fuck they do with him is beyond me. "Party Pooper Adam Rose" ain't it.

ASUKA! YES! ASUKA!

I think Dillinger has potential. He's fun in the ring. He needs to tone down the 10! 10! 10! stuff and maybe get a better finisher BUT I think he can be good.

Crews is an athletic freak. With that said, add me to the list of folks who want to see a better finisher. Maybe just drop the gorilla press. The "fall now roll over real quick for the splash" is sorta silly looking.

The tag match was fun. Corbin didn't suck. Nope, no he didn't. I should take this moment to point out that we had a pretty douchey crowd for that show though. We get it, you like to chant stuff to get yourselves over. Last night, you were sort of too much.

Sasha and Bayley are money, period. If you would have told me two years ago that women's matches in 2015 would be the best things in wrestling, I would have mocked you and chanted douchey things to get myself over. As of now, I don't even care what else is on the Takeover card. The main has my full attention. Done right, Bayley and Sasha could give us a second match of the year candidate (which would be Sasha's THIRD of the year!)

I thought Crowe looked really good last night. You could tell he was working with someone he was comfortable with, and he's starting to find his rhythm with the whole "WWE Style" thing. I thought purely from an in ring stand point, he looked way better than Crews, although I never loved Crews on the Indies either. I think he's pretty awesome the first time you see him, and it's diminishing returns from there. 

I thought the whole Bayley stuff and the post match was awesome. Sasha's promo was tremendous. I'd say that someone should show it to Dolph Ziggler but part of me thinks that it'd be like showing a dog a card trick. 

I've never really had any love for Gargano on the Indies (except his tags with Chuck Taylor where he was basically the bullies little buddy) but he has looked great twice now. Everything he does is really crisp and he finds different ways to hit his signature spots. Ciampa has looked fine. 

Can the announcers stop talking about the internet? I swear in every match they mentioned something about the internet, or google, or instagram. It was insufferable. NXT is basically the wrestling equivalent of a fan service show at this point. 

Lastly, can NXT dim the houselights a little bit? I hate how present the crowd is. I don't want to constantly look at these people, and showing them so often reinforces the (wrong) idea that they are a vital part of the show and experience. Audiences are a vital part of the show, don't get me wrong, and a hot crowd makes for a better experience overall. That being said, I want to hear them, not see them. The way NXT films isn't teaching crowd members to be loud and present, it's teaching them to try and be the next Frank the Clown. 

The problem with Crews is that he came along about 25 years too late to be the white meat babyface he needs to be. But he's not a heel at all, either, because the key with him is his Five Moves comeback is fantastic. So, conundrum. He has the deluxe car wash as far as physical tools, but he needs something more, and I have no idea what it is.

I had not seen Ciampra or Sarah Dobson until last night's show. I was impressed by both of them.

Dana is a quite good and quite natural heel. Just needs to keep figuring out the in-ring stuff. One of the joys of watching NXT is seeing someone who isn't very good get better as they figure things out. 

Dana Brooke and Jason Jordan are my two prospects that I derive the most pleasure out of seeing them get better. 

I am BEYOND stoked for the Ironwoman. Sasha laid it out perfectly as to why the stipulation works. If they study the Rude/Steamboat match as their guide, this could be even better than the Brooklyn match, but I hope they go for substance over style.

Stoked for the Kana/Asuka debut.

That tag match was really well done. Rhyno ain't afraid to lay it in and Ciampa was there to match him in spades. Corbin beating the two indy guys is an awesome thing to go back to later in the tournament to put him over as the "indy killer."

Bull Dempsey being over as the poor man's Buddy Rose is great.

NXT seriously is a machine of weekly television awesomeness. After a slow start due to the injuries, they've picked it up in the second half of the year and are threatening LU for the #1 TV show of the year right now.

• Like 1