DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 - Q4

RIPPA

Eva isn't getting heel heat. She's getting "go do something far away from us" heat. That's not working the marks. That's being shitty at your job.

Will people pay to see someone kick her ass?

I really don't think so. For wrestling to work, even in a one sided beating (See Lesnar/Cena SS 14) the "crushee" must be good enough to sell said beating. I don't think Eva could sell motion sickness if she was on a fucking boat. Maybe she'll be ready some day. At the rate she's improving, I won't live to see it.

Can I just pay for her to go away?  That'd be terrific if we could arrange that.  I'm not wishing ill will to her, but if they must have her around just make her a WWE ambassador.  Or a valet on a D level show that only shows in random countries.  Anywhere but where she is now.  There's no heel heat or working the marks, it's just "Get the fuck out of here" heat.

• Like 1

What the Full Sail fans' response would be

They started up the "you can't wrestle" chants again.  She's become the "Daniel Bryan should have won"  girl. Boo she doesn't deserve this push. Meanwhile, Meltzer just addressed this.  She's not coming anywhere close to the title but it's funny to watch Full Sail sweat it out. 

The thing is if Eva Marie were getting the same push on the main roster no one would bat an eye. When you put her in NXT after a year plus of the best run of women's wrestling the WWE has ever had it's a different story. People just don't want NXT's trademark excellent women's division to take a main roster like turn for the worse. FTR I don't think it will.

• Like 1

^ This

It is possible for the main event women to be tearing the house down while others develop in the lower card.  We've been spoiled and forget that is (or at least was) the purpose of NXT.

I really don't see why everyone is complaining at this point.  It's obvious WWE realized the way they were pushing her wasn't going to work and have changed it.  The chickenshit win followed by the over the top celebration was great.  She's still not good, but she's getting noticeably better in the ring every week.

Go back and watch the 8/26 Carmella/Eva match and in just a months time they're both so much better than they were then.

Wouldn't the best reaction if you want to get Eva Marie to go away be to just not react to her at all? Pop for her opponents music and then when Eva's music hits the crow goes silent

The big problem with that is that fans are too savvy to WWE production to do that. The fans know NXT (and Smackdown, when she makes the main roster) are both a taped show...and because they're taped? The crowd going silent for her is a stone groove for WWE, because if they're totally silent WWE will just pipe in cheers until she sounds like the next Austin/Rock.

As a result, only open, angry, dissenting boos in such a way it is impossible to pipe cheers over is the only way to truly protest the people getting "Go Away" heat and run with "We can't have our way, so at least we'll submarine this person until you can't have YOUR way either."

Also, in no universe is beating Cassie, Billie Kay and Carmella the massive push y'all are acting like it is.

I was thinking this earlier. The anti-Eva campaign was born out of a fear that she was going to challenge for and win the NXT women's championship. Meltzer and others have said that this is probably not going to happen. So what we have is a woman at the bottom of the card who is improving and some people have a huge problem with it but it is not new to NXT. There have been plenty of dudes who were not good who ate up television time while they learned how to wrestle and they were not met with nearly the backlash she is receiving.

She definitely went overboard with that but I thought her celebration after the cheap win was great. She had this huge smile and started jumping up and down like "See!? I just won again. Where ya at, haters??"

And the Full Sail crowd fell for it.

It was very unfortunate that the ref basically had to tell her every single time to celebrate. It was like a weird puppet show, you'd think she'd get the hint at the first time he told her to celebrate and keep on doing it but she turned on then off immediately.

This is WWE....

Eva will make Asuka tap out for her 1st lost and Fingerpoke of Doom win the belt from Bailey (in the same match). When the crowd booboos her, HHH will impromptu come out and apologize to everyone for how terrible her opponents are and in 90 days we'll see Bayley and Kanna debut in GFW on your public-access television.

(Man, I even hate typing that...)

On the subject of lesser NXT talents, are Blake and Murphy done at this point?

I sure hope so, because while fundamentally sound, it's tough to think of two more boring guys on the NXT roster. That's fine when your gimmick is two former jobbers who back into the tag titles, but after 6 months, you should probably have something that connects with the crowd. They tried to get them going with Alexa, and while the heel turn has been great for her individually, there is obviously no chemistry with the three of them as a unit and their blandness is overpowering her intrigue.

I'd much rather see an Alexa Bliss solo heel run than any angle involving Blake and Murphy together. I know it's cliche to break teams up right after they drop the straps, but I think it might be justifiable in this case just to see if either one has any singles potential before going into complete "disapear and wait for repackaging" mode with them.

Also, in no universe is beating Cassie, Billie Kay and Carmella the massive push y'all are acting like it is.

I was thinking this earlier. The anti-Eva campaign was born out of a fear that she was going to challenge for and win the NXT women's championship. Meltzer and others have said that this is probably not going to happen. So what we have is a woman at the bottom of the card who is improving and some people have a huge problem with it but it is not new to NXT. There have been plenty of dudes who were not good who ate up television time while they learned how to wrestle and they were not met with nearly the backlash she is receiving.

If funny too because if WWE were really serious about pushing Eva, should be doing this on the main roster and not NXT.

We talked about it a couple weeks back but there's no reason why Alexa Bliss shouldn't be skyrocketed up the women's division at this point.  She's a potential megastar.

turk128, I don't know what to tell you.  If we were talking RAW/SD! I would have zero faith in the booking but NXT has been on fire for a long time. I think they will use Asuka correctly and she'll do very well there.

She definitely went overboard with that but I thought her celebration after the cheap win was great. She had this huge smile and started jumping up and down like "See!? I just won again. Where ya at, haters??"

And the Full Sail crowd fell for it.

It was very unfortunate that the ref basically had to tell her every single time to celebrate. It was like a weird puppet show, you'd think she'd get the hint at the first time he told her to celebrate and keep on doing it but she turned on then off immediately.

Eva's not the only one they do that with. When the Vaudevillans won the match, off camera, Drake was basically jumping up and down telling them to smile at the camera.

I'm glad I was wrong abut Asuka. They didn't show her grinning on the tron when she looked back at Dana/Emma. That was pretty bad ass. If it's not Dana/Emma vs Asuka/Devin at Takeover, I hope Asuka's partner is Jax.

Eva wouldn't be so bad on tv if it wasn't for Corey Graves commentary. He's just awful during her matches constantly praising her. I get he's the heel commentator but he goes overboard.

We talked about it a couple weeks back but there's no reason why Alexa Bliss shouldn't be skyrocketed up the women's division at this point.  She's a potential megastar.

This is where you and I part. I have no clue what would make anyone think that about Alexa Bliss. She's pretty good in her heel role and is a high spot wrestler who does them clumsily half the time. To be fair, she could suddenly break out a la Sasha Banks, but there's not much there that hints at that possibility so far.