DVDVR Message Board

SEPT WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Whatever happened to that old WWE fantasy game they used to run? It was like fantasy football, where you had a starting salary to buy wrestlers with & you were rewarded points based on appearances, wins/losses, etc. A fan made version of that, where you could go head-to-head with other players (again, like fantasy football) would be pretty cool.

The Raven character might be my favorite backstory in all of wrestling and the Raven/Dreamer feud is a masterclass in story-telling and delayed payoff. It's really the best thing ECW ever did. I'm under the impression that Raven and Tommy essentially booked the feud themselves, too. I also think it's one of the few feuds that got the ECW arena to actually get emotionally invested in the story. 

Sting was a great babyface and took a wonderful beating from heels. Is it time to have the annual "should Sting be in the HOF" debate?

• Like 1

Here's a topic. I was watching Halloween Havoc 95 today, after watching some Nitros, and I was thinking about how fucking amazing Sting was at taking heat. I posed a question on Twitter, does anyone today have that kind of talent for taking heat, and I could think of no one. I think being good at taking heat is becoming a lost artform. Not only taking the offense and selling, but having the people just DYING for you to make that comeback. Sting was a master at this. I don't know why it seems like no one is good at it anymore, unless today's crop don't want to look "weak", or if the current landscape is so far away from actually working the crowd, that no one knows how.

Crowds these days are more interested in getting themselves over than they are getting behind a babyface to triumph over the heels.
Well, besides the Daniel Bryan run to Mania.

That was the pinnacle of fans trying to get themselves over.

Here's a topic. I was watching Halloween Havoc 95 today, after watching some Nitros, and I was thinking about how fucking amazing Sting was at taking heat. I posed a question on Twitter, does anyone today have that kind of talent for taking heat, and I could think of no one. I think being good at taking heat is becoming a lost artform. Not only taking the offense and selling, but having the people just DYING for you to make that comeback. Sting was a master at this. I don't know why it seems like no one is good at it anymore, unless today's crop don't want to look "weak", or if the current landscape is so far away from actually working the crowd, that no one knows how.

Crowds these days are more interested in getting themselves over than they are getting behind a babyface to triumph over the heels.

It may have started out that way with that post WM crowd, but I believe that over time, it's become a good ol' fashioned babyface reaction. Like, I couldn't see Michigan State Basketball or fans at MLB games chanting "This is/we are awesome" or something like that. Sure, maybe mainstream appeal or pop culture sightings are a weird way to quantify the genuineness of a babyface reaction in this day and age, but I think it's fun, it's "genuine," and I'm already surprised at how long of a shelf life it's had so far. 2011 was, for all intents and purposes, forever ago. If Bryan, God willing, is healthy enough to come back at some point, then he might even give it new life upon his return.

RandomAct: about the Sting/taking heat post,  I believe tromataker said Ambrose on another page, and I have to agree there. His stuff with the Shield was right out of that Sting-school of really drawing that part of a match out (and I mean that in a good way), I feel like.

This might be an oddball pick, especially given the up and down nature of his pushes, but I think Ziggler could be really good at it if he chilled out on the selling like HBK during the Hogan match.

Yep, no genuine desire to see Bryan win there. Just fans wanting to hijack the show. 

All those fans chanting "Yes!" when Bryan stood tall after that cage match against Bray Wyatt, sit down and stop making the show about yourselves!

I looked around, but didn't see one. I might have just missed it, but are any of you guys playing WWE Supercard? It's pretty addicting.

What is it, a booker sim?

It's basically pokemon, but with WWE Superstars

How fucking dare you. My level 39 Blastoise oughtta bitchslap you.

• Like 1

Do you think that reaction to Bryan/Wyatt in the cage would have happened if the show was anywhere else? Or was it lightning in a bottle?

I don't know if the plan all along was for him to beat Triple H then win a threeway at Wrestlemania but jeez, seeing people whine every week about how Bryan wasn't being showcased in the months leading up got a bit old and I'm one of that guys biggest fans from back in the day

I felt that the Raven/ Tommy/ Beulah Summer camp backstory was fucking stupid , to be honest.

How does it feel to be dead inside?

I love that whole campy thing, and the long chase was great. It was good soap opera but for wrestling feud drama, I believe Raven/Sandman to be the better story.

- RAF

• Like 1

Yes, Bryan was mega over, and I feel like it was genuine, but in the context of the match itself?  I don't recall many times where the fans were dying for his comeback.  His comeback DID get the desired reaction though, so I guess alls well that ends well.  Good shout on Ambrose though.  He has that "everyman" quality where the fans really do want to see him keep kicking and fighting.  Dustin and Christian are masters.  So there are a couple of guys out there, but it's becoming harder and harder.

Speaking of the lack of backstories in wrestling, I don't think it's a coincidence that the last few wrestlers who got over in a meaningful way (Bryan, Punk, Ambrose and even...Ryder) had easily relatable stories from outside the WWE machine that added to their personas. 

The lack of backstory really struck me a couple of years back when Ziggler was on the Art of Wrestling podcast.  He was funny and likable. He had a great story outside of WWE (amateur standout obsessed with WWE, came out to his own theme music for NCAA events, hopped over cars to practice wrestling, recruited by WWE as an amaterur) and an interesting journey within WWE (years in developmental hell, Kerwin White... Spirit Squad) Yet all I knew about him from WWE programming (and not much has changed for years) is that he is blonde, tan, a bit of a smartass and thinks he steals the show. 

I'm trying to recall the Dreamer/Raven backstory here but wasn't it established that Beulah had been the fat girl at camp who was rejected by Tommy Dreamer? Didn't she make friends with Raven while there too? I'm reasonably certain that Raven went to camp with Dreamer but he may not have.

God I miss when wrestlers had backstories and we weren't just told "HEY! Here's Big E and he's wrestling tonight!"

Nope, you got it right.  The backstory was that the three of them went to camp together, and Tommy rejected her (presumably b/c she was fat).  Raven befriended her, and, years later, brought her to ECW (I think it was Stevie Richards that recruited her to ECW, actually).

That right there is probably more backstory than the entire WWE roster has.

The Raven character probably has more backstory than any other character in the history of the sport. It's too bad WWF/WWE offered nothing new in terms of shaping the character.

I always filled in the gaps and figured that Raven was raised rich and went onto become Scotty Flamingo/Johnny Polo while his parents were still footing the bill for him. He saved his money, became self-sufficient, left the WWF and was finally able to be "Raven" and not have to put up a front to make his parents happy. He went back to WCW when Paul's checks bounced, saved his money and went back to ECW where he was truly happy. 

Somewhere in there was roadieing for Pearl Jam, IIRC.

Southern people think it's normal for people to sound like that

Coming from around Shreveport - Mid-South territory - as a kid, this really isn't far off.  I thought normal people sounded like Boomhauer, smart people sounded like Hank Hill, and everyone else sounded like either a yankee or a cajun.  Never occurred to me that Arn might be from our side of the Mason-Dixon. 

Speaking of the lack of backstories in wrestling, I don't think it's a coincidence that the last few wrestlers who got over in a meaningful way (Bryan, Punk, Ambrose and even...Ryder) had easily relatable stories from outside the WWE machine that added to their personas.

The lack of backstory really struck me a couple of years back when Ziggler was on the Art of Wrestling podcast. He was funny and likable. He had a great story outside of WWE (amateur standout obsessed with WWE, came out to his own theme music for NCAA events, hopped over cars to practice wrestling, recruited by WWE as an amaterur) and an interesting journey within WWE (years in developmental hell, Kerwin White... Spirit Squad) Yet all I knew about him from WWE programming (and not much has changed for years) is that he is blonde, tan, a bit of a smartass and thinks he steals the show.

I'm not saying this isn't valid, but what did we know about Austin in WWE except that he was old friends with Pillman?

Here's a topic.  I was watching Halloween Havoc 95 today, after watching some Nitros, and I was thinking about how fucking amazing Sting was at taking heat.  I posed a question on Twitter, does anyone today have that kind of talent for taking heat, and I could think of no one.  I think being good at taking heat is becoming a lost artform.  Not only taking the offense and selling, but having the people just DYING for you to make that comeback.  Sting was a master at this.  I don't know why it seems like no one is good at it anymore, unless today's crop don't want to look "weak", or if the current landscape is so far away from actually working the crowd, that no one knows how.

A lot of that had to do with the booking style. As mentioned before, WWE is a babyface company and WCW and their ilk were a heel company.

Sorry but what "easily relatable stories" did WWE get across for Bryan, Punk and Ambrose?  I don't mean the guys' backgrounds that smart fans already knew; I mean what did WWE do to get these guys' stories across?  Punk started as a pseudo MMA dude whose "only addiction is competition."  Anything else, character-wise, he had to fight to get across for the longest time.  Bryan had zero backstory except, I guess, some conflict with his NXT veteran, and Ambrose was just a guy in The Shield, 3 dudes who came from nowhere with barely any gimmick except for some nebulous "hounds of justice" schtick. 

All these guys were defined by whatever they did in WWE storylines after their debuts, not by any backstory that writers supplied them.