DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

At least there's also been a ton of really small games that I guess would fall into the pixel art category mostly that have been really good. I was playing Monaco before my laptop had a little boo boo, there's also Legend of Dungeon (criminally underrated because it's nearly unbeatable and that burns some people's ass), FTL: Faster Than Light is a big time sink, and I've got Hammerwatch, VVVVVV, Thomas Was Alone, and Dungeons of Dreadmoor that i haven't even played. And like all of that put together is probably 1 GB, definitely less than 2. Oh and I just started with Papers Please the other day which is... very different, and harder than it sounds.

Never mind that I have Galactic Civilizations II just sitting there uninstalled, plus I'll get back to Crusader Kings II.

My backlog is actually getting kind of large. Gaming is a demanding mistress.

Retro Uprising, and their score attack modes have eaten my soul and my free time.

On the plus side, I can get 2 matches post LOD in Wrestlefest on one credit now.

I now see myself practicing the bonus stages of Sonic 3 and Knuckles so I can Time/Score attack that, since that's one of my favorite platformers ever, and I can't clear Super Mario World without doing 1up Cycles in Star World's 1 and 2 before doing the bonus series, which aren't allowed in RU's score run rules.

Actually come to think of it looking at the install size I'm definitely out for now. Oh well. I can't even download that, lol.  I will keep an eye on it for future reference though.

I got the game on PS3.  Haven't had much time to play it because I'm studying for my series 7 (stock trading license) but from what I've played so far, it seems good.  Pretty creepy.  I got the preorder DLC with the original cast, which is really tough.  Poor Dallas keeps dying in about 3 minutes.  I suppose it's somethign to play after you've beaten the game and are good at avoiding the Alien.

At least there's also been a ton of really small games that I guess would fall into the pixel art category mostly that have been really good. I was playing Monaco before my laptop had a little boo boo, there's also Legend of Dungeon (criminally underrated because it's nearly unbeatable and that burns some people's ass), FTL: Faster Than Light is a big time sink, and I've got Hammerwatch, VVVVVV, Thomas Was Alone, and Dungeons of Dreadmoor that i haven't even played. And like all of that put together is probably 1 GB, definitely less than 2. Oh and I just started with Papers Please the other day which is... very different, and harder than it sounds.

Never mind that I have Galactic Civilizations II just sitting there uninstalled, plus I'll get back to Crusader Kings II.

My backlog is actually getting kind of large. Gaming is a demanding mistress.

I researched some of the titles in your backlog that you mentioned. I bit on Steam's version of Hammerwatch since it was on sale for $2.49.

Now I just have to wait for it to download after Pinball FX2 stops.

Avoid GalCiv II: Brad Wardell is a shitheel and deserves no money or play time.

And this just happened:

ME: They say NBA 2K15 is "Next Gen for the first time on PC".. wonder what that means.

(buys game)

Me: "HOLY SHITBALLS, a 41 GB Download? Whafuck?"

(recovers a bit)

Me: Apparently when they say next gen, they mean next-gen file sizes.

Avoid GalCiv II: Brad Wardell is a shitheel and deserves no money or play time.

And this just happened:

ME: They say NBA 2K15 is "Next Gen for the first time on PC".. wonder what that means.

(buys game)

Me: "HOLY SHITBALLS, a 41 GB Download? Whafuck?"

(recovers a bit)

Me: Apparently when they say next gen, they mean next-gen file sizes.

With my internet connection 41GB would take me two and a half weeks to finish downloading.

One of the reasons I rarely do digital only.

• Like 1

I have my PS3 at my girlfriend's place as I wait for Microsoft to send me a new 360 power brick. Her connection is way faster than mine, so I've been sitting here grabbing all the free PS+ stuff I've "bought" but never installed.

Doing this stuff back to back really shows off how much slower the process is on the Sony side of the fence. I'd have been done with this stuff in a few hours on the 360, but am going on day 3 of it here.

Are the new consoles similar in this regard?

Anyway, I've now added the following to my queue to be (re-)played...

Arkham Asylum/City

Puppeteer

NBA 2K14

Shadow of the Colossus

DMC

Metro

Rainbow Moon

I get very little PS3 playtime in, so this'll last me a good year. Maybe more. Especially as I add whatever they put up each month...

As someone who buys 'big' games physically the figures in this thread are making me understand why people were impressed they squeezed SM3DW into 1.6something gig. My various console/pc hdds wish that every company had the same decades of trying to fit their games onto tiny carts experience.

Doing this stuff back to back really shows off how much slower the process is on the Sony side of the fence. I'd have been done with this stuff in a few hours on the 360, but am going on day 3 of it here.

Are the new consoles similar in this regard?

I don't find the process to be slow on either the PS3 or the PS4.  Go to your download list in the PSN store, pick what you want, tell it to download in the background, go back to your list, add another title, rinse, repeat.  Set your system to wake up at 2am and download when you're not around and it'll be done in no time.

Or, ya know, bypass your PS3 or PS4 entirely and use the Sony online site to find all the stuff and download it to your system.

• Like 2

I thought that Shadow of Mordor was a great game, but the ending.....

Felt really flat to me.  Story-wise it was fine but I was expecting some big epic difficult battle to use the different skills I used.  I didn't get that at all, the last four big 'fights' I breezed through with no issues whatsoever.  Branding a few of the chiefs ended up being the last hard part of the game.  I really don't want the final boss of any game to be able to be beaten in a couple QTE's, I was really expecting an epic sword fight at the end of the game, like a bigger version of the fight against the The Hammer.

Still a game I'd recommend to anyone, aside from that complaint.

Finally got my hands on the new port of Sonic CD. This has been my video game holy grail since 1993, even as I learned about the US version's inferior soundtrack (except for like one track) and the fact that they lied about Princess Saly from the comic/SatAM cartoon being in it instead of Amy Rose. But getting to choose soundtracks AND getting to play as Tails only sweetens the deal. Oh, and it was like $5.

I know this isn't the board for it, but goddamn do I miss Sonic SatAM.

• Like 1

Diablo 3 had a double-XP weekend, so I played a metric shitton of it the last 3 days.  I got my Demon Hunter up to 70, plus got her a sweet Helltrapper and the first bit of the Marauder's set.  Now it's just nonstop bounties and rifts until I get the other 5 pieces.

After sixteen months of intermittent and less-than-intermittent play, I finally have a lv60 in Marvel Heroes Online (Ms. Marvel). At this point, I'm pretty much done with the title except occasionally when I need something to autopilot while I have an audiobook or podcast or whatnot on, and I don't expect I will ever get any more characters unless Hank Pym happens. I might have enjoyed it more if I'd had a regular group of people to play with and a headset, but I don't have those things and Diablo-style games just aren't that much fun for me by myself.

Why the hell aren't there more Berzerk clones in the indie scene? I really want a proper shameless ripoff with modern graphics.

Am playing TLOU in Russian and pretending it is an alternate timeline where President Palin decides to use chemical warfare to teach Putin a lesson. It solves a few problems such as why I have the ability to shrug off bullets / infinite stamina (because I am Russian) and why I'm willing to Rambo my way through hundreds of lives without hesitation (because I had to go through school with the name Joelle)

The Evil Within sounds like a game that I will pick up during its eventual price drop and regret picking up. It wouldn't be because the game is bad, mind you. It'd be because I suck at that genre of game.

I picked up The Evil Within today. I've loved every single Shinji Mikami game I've played (Resident Evil, Vanquish, etc) so I look forward to this. And I'm jonesing for a new survival horror experience.

Fortunately, Best Buy is giving a $10 gift card when you buy it. So I'll use the card for WWE or Final Fantasy.

Finally got my hands on the new port of Sonic CD. This has been my video game holy grail since 1993, even as I learned about the US version's inferior soundtrack (except for like one track) and the fact that they lied about Princess Saly from the comic/SatAM cartoon being in it instead of Amy Rose. But getting to choose soundtracks AND getting to play as Tails only sweetens the deal. Oh, and it was like $5.

I know this isn't the board for it, but goddamn do I miss Sonic SatAM.

Didn't even know there was a new port. I have the one on the Sonic Gems Collection for GameCube. Is the new port any better? 

I still watch SatAM occasionally on Netflix. 

• Like 1

Yeah. The Gems Collection port was based off the PC port from 1996, so you have a buggy port of a buggy port. The digital version has those nifty perks. And the dude who made it did it from scratch, on an engine he made (he's a big player in the Sonic retro hack/fangame community). Just amazing.

Started Uncharted 3 during the weekend and just beat it now. Its definitely a step down from 2. The plot point with Nate needing to give it up kind of came out of nowhere considering all the crap the people involved had been in with him beforehand. I found the pirate chapters interesting for the underwater fighting concept, but frustrating as hell. I also found said levels to feel somewhat like an unnatural interruption in the narrative. Marlowe had potential as a villain, but her and her henchman's motivations were never exactly clear. Whats more I never really found them to build up well why the level of hatred between her and Nate. It was still nice to see how Nate and Sully met. Despite my complaints I still enjoyed the game and liked that the threat remained human. It was a nice break from the crazy supernatural from the first two games final chapters.

Started Beyond: Two Souls last night, now that I've finished ME2 (thanks to rippa et al for the advice on the suicide mission) 

It's typical Cage. A lot of highly developed character modelling, a lot of walking and pressing combinations of buttons and shaking the sixaxis, but kind low on real oomph.

I'm liking the disjointed storyline and narrative and Ellen/Willem are so far really likeable characters.

Looked at the chapter headings and I'm already half way through the game? Yeesh.