DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

The thing is, all the isometric Sonic Games not named Colors or Generations SUCKS.  The music is always kick ass though.  I'll still debate that Live and Learn is better than Open Your Heart, and that Adventure 2 is better than 1.  But that's because 2 doesn't have fucking Amy and Big stages.  1 also has that Overworld that serves absolutly no purpose whatsoever thing.

Although I loved the final boss fight in Sonic 2006.  Damn shame that you needed to slog through that shitfest of a game first to get to it.

Jade Raymond is leaving Ubisoft

She says it is to pursue other ambitions and new opportunities

Of course - despite no one saying anything about it - I have convinced myself that she is bailing out now because of Gamergate

Fuckers...

The thing is, all the isometric Sonic Games not named Colors or Generations SUCKS.  The music is always kick ass though.  I'll still debate that Live and Learn is better than Open Your Heart, and that Adventure 2 is better than 1.  But that's because 2 doesn't have fucking Amy and Big stages.  1 also has that Overworld that serves absolutly no purpose whatsoever thing.

Although I loved the final boss fight in Sonic 2006.  Damn shame that you needed to slog through that shitfest of a game first to get to it.

Nah. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were awesome in their times. Sonic's downfall started when the Dreamcast died and Sega started making the games for X-Box, Playstation, and Gamecube. But I still think the "Sonic games all suck now" stuff is overblown because even in that time they were making awesome handheld games. And more recently, you mentioned Generations and Colors, which were awesome, but also Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was great (wish it had finished). And I may be alone in this, but I'm pumped for Sonic Boom too. Sonic is back.

Nah. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 were awesome in their times. Sonic's downfall started when the Dreamcast died and Sega started making the games for X-Box, Playstation, and Gamecube. But I still think the "Sonic games all suck now" stuff is overblown because even in that time they were making awesome handheld games. And more recently, you mentioned Generations and Colors, which were awesome, but also Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was great (wish it had finished). And I may be alone in this, but I'm pumped for Sonic Boom too. Sonic is back.

I don't know, every review I've read about Sonic Boom (Wii U version at least) said it was bad; one even said it might possibly be worse than Sonic 2006.

Also, the only good thing about Sonic 2006 was the one-sitting Let's Play by pokecapn and company as they gradually descend into madness.

But as long as I got my remastered Sonic CD, I'm good for a while.

The Isometric games, not the 2D's.  Specifically, Adventure, Heroes, Unleashed, Black Knight, and 2006.  The handhelds were awesome.  Shit, the DS version of Colors ties 3 & Knux as my favorate Sonic game.

The thing is, all the isometric Sonic Games not named Colors or Generations SUCKS. The music is always kick ass though. I'll still debate that Live and Learn is better than Open Your Heart, and that Adventure 2 is better than 1. But that's because 2 doesn't have fucking Amy and Big stages. 1 also has that Overworld that serves absolutly no purpose whatsoever thing.

Although I loved the final boss fight in Sonic 2006. Damn shame that you needed to slog through that shitfest of a game first to get to it.

I don't know, every review I've read about Sonic Boom (Wii U version at least) said it was bad; one even said it might possibly be worse than Sonic 2006.

Also, the only good thing about Sonic 2006 was the one-sitting Let's Play by pokecapn and company as they gradually descend into madness.

But as long as I got my remastered Sonic CD, I'm good for a while.

The game isn't out until the middle of November. Anyone that's reviewing it now is a clown.

The thing is, all the isometric Sonic Games not named Colors or Generations SUCKS. The music is always kick ass though. I'll still debate that Live and Learn is better than Open Your Heart, and that Adventure 2 is better than 1. But that's because 2 doesn't have fucking Amy and Big stages. 1 also has that Overworld that serves absolutly no purpose whatsoever thing.

Although I loved the final boss fight in Sonic 2006. Damn shame that you needed to slog through that shitfest of a game first to get to it.

The Isometric games, not the 2D's. Specifically, Adventure, Heroes, Unleashed, Black Knight, and 2006. The handhelds were awesome. Shit, the DS version of Colors ties 3 & Knux as my favorate Sonic game.

Well, I can't agree with you on Adventure.

Well, to be fair, I played the crap out of Adventure 1 at the time, but I grabbed it on PSN and man does it not hold up.

Adventure 2 was a chore, except for that final boss.  And the same, it just doesn't hold up near as well as the Genesis games do.

Well, to be fair, I played the crap out of Adventure 1 at the time, but I grabbed it on PSN and man does it not hold up.

Adventure 2 was a chore, except for that final boss.  And the same, it just doesn't hold up near as well as the Genesis games do.

Oh yeah, I imagine playing it by today's standards, it doesn't hold up. Neither does Mario 64, DK 64, Banjo-Kazooie, or any of the platformers of that golden era. But back then? Fucking awesome stuff.

My only big complaint with Mario 64 was the same-ness of the boss fights, but then again that was certainly true of the classic Mario games too really.

I think it did a lot more with giving you a 3-D world to "explore" than a ton of games that have come after. They really worked hard on using that newfangled 3-D space in interesting ways.

This one I know nobody is gonna agree with me on, but I always liked DK64 more than Mario 64. I can't defend that position, it just grabbed me more. I'm a weirdo.

Well, I didn't like Mario 64 - AT ALL.  Can't really put it in words, to be honest. 

It's the only one I never beat.  Played it a lot over the years but always peter out when I get upstairs and just don't give a shit.  They need to remake the DS port on 3DS with better graphics and controls and take out the bullshit where you start as Yoshi.  I probably still won't give a shit.

I've posted a few times over on the eastasiasoft (developers of Rainbow Moon) forum and they've always been quick to respond.  Tossed up a long post yesterday critiquing the game, in particular the terrible world map.  They responded pretty quickly with "yep, that's an area we are working on improving in the sequel".  Great that they responded so quickly, great that they're addressing my #1 gripe.  The screenshots they've posted of Rainbow Skies so far have been spectacular.  Am looking forward to it quite a bit.  Supposedly coming out in 2014 but I'm hoping it gets pushed into 2015.  Gotta leave me time for both new Assassins Creed games, yo.

Maybe I'm just over the whole zombie thing.

It's slow, monotonous, the controls are cumbersome, the physics are clumsy (zombies don't know to turn, just keep running into a fence) and it's not a bit scary. The story isn't interesting....like, at all. At least not to me. And zombies with shotguns? I'm trying to run for my life and I run into bear traps and wire traps out of nowhere. One swipe from the undead and you're limping, soon to die.

Part of it is just personal preference. I would rather blast zombies than run from them and hide in a closet.

This one I know nobody is gonna agree with me on, but I always liked DK64 more than Mario 64. I can't defend that position, it just grabbed me more. I'm a weirdo.

Well, I didn't like Mario 64 - AT ALL.  Can't really put it in words, to be honest. 

not enough pinball

• Like 1