DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Makes me sad. :(

Also,

I can TOTALLY articulate why I don't - and never really did - like Mario64.

Innovative doesn't equal fun. A game where you spend half the game missing jumps and taking bullshit hits because you're fighting the camera isn't fun.

Fuck you. Mario 64 remains perfect and if you can't make a jump and fall to your death, that's on you. By nature, Mario platformers are design to fool your ass: it's a simple concept until you throw your controller down in rage.

I'm perfectly fine with trying to land on a four pixel space on SMB1. The problem is that SM64 has a garbage camera that's constantly in the way of fun.

Zelda OOT has the same problem but not to the same degree. 

In short, dying because I suck is fine. Dying because the camera eats cock is sucky. 

• Like 1

I apologize if this had been brought up before(not in the game folder much), but bane in Arkham Origins reminded me that I HATE boss battles with the passion of a thousand dying suns. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I apologize if this had been brought up before(not in the game folder much), but bane in Arkham Origins reminded me that I HATE boss battles with the passion of a thousand dying suns. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I didnt like origins at all. It was far too buggy for me and really detracted from my enjoyment. The deadshot battle was alright, nothing to write home about.

the others? I cant remember them.

The marketing campaign for The Evil Within looks like the campaign for Dead Space which makes me wonder if the game really is that scary or are players just made of weak sauce.

If there is a game that will scare the shit out of me, it will probably be Slender: The Arrival.

Well, there's at least two of us.  It's no coincidence that I love games like Fallout 3 or GTA that don't really have them.  In games that have them, they're almost always my least favorite part.  Partly it's that I'm tired of games endlessly rehashing the same basic boss battle types.   I would gladly go the rest of my life without any of these:

boss that you can damage right after you dodge his special attack.  I've hated that gimmick since Punch Out, and 30 years hasn't made it any fresher.

boss that you can only significantly damage by hitting his special weak spot.

whittling down the boss' health while you fight off a hundred of his minions.  extra shitty credit for spawns based on specific levels of damage to the boss.

• Like 1

Picked up the 10th anniversary re-release of San Andreas on the 360. There goes my weekend...

is there anything new on it or upgrades? That's probably still my fave GTA gaming experience

My last playthrough I got sidetracked and basically ended up being a full time horse track better.

• Like 1

I didnt like origins at all. It was far too buggy for me and really detracted from my enjoyment. The deadshot battle was alright, nothing to write home about.

the others? I cant remember them.

I quit playing(I borrowed both that and AC) when I couldn't get into the sewer, as the bad guys kept kicking my ass, and I said fuck this.  That and the deadshot fight bugged out so I couldn't finish it.  I usually play sand boxy games, and avoid ones with boss battles, so when I encounter them, I tend to remember why I hate them so much. . .

Picked up the 10th anniversary re-release of San Andreas on the 360. There goes my weekend...

is there anything new on it or upgrades? That's probably still my fave GTA gaming experience

My last playthrough I got sidetracked and basically ended up being a full time horse track better.

Fairly early on in the game you can buy a house close to a OTB shop - easy way to make a lot of money. Bet all your money on the horse with worst odds, if you lose, just reload the save. The mobile versions are glitched, though - any winnings from OTB don't get credited back to you.

Anyway, the 360 version has slightly tweaked graphics and achievements, nothing else is new.

I still have my ps2 copy and strategy guide I got on release day. One game I regret never finishing....

Fairly early on in the game you can buy a house close to a OTB shop - easy way to make a lot of money. Bet all your money on the horse with worst odds, if you lose, just reload the save. The mobile versions are glitched, though - any winnings from OTB don't get credited back to you.

Anyway, the 360 version has slightly tweaked graphics and achievements, nothing else is new.

Oh yeah I'm well aware of the save/load basically infinite money exploit. I 100%ed San Andreas many years ago now, in fact the only GTA game I ever bothered with doing that. So I knew all the tricks by the end of that run really. I actually did my betting legit this time since the odds are really in your favor anyway.

I don't know why I did it. Why not.

There's apparently some stuff that's been removed from the radio stations (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=128178422&postcount=3444) and, I guess, it's not been running great overall. I've not had time to fire it up yet, though.

I don't know why I did it. Why not.

Every so often you have to take a game you've played 100 times and do something really different. For me right now, it's playing Skyrim without using instant traveling, just carriages and my feet. I may  be in trouble, because a vampire killed the carriage guy outside Whiterun. :-p

• Like 1

My playing of Rainbow Moon is beginning to consist of me running around the first island and dunegon doing every fight possible whilst saying "I have no idea what I'm doing!".

Because everything in the second dungeon can kick my ass.

I also believe this is my fault, because I wasn't aware of how much grinding is involved, and I choose "Adventurous" for style and started off with nothing.

My playing of Rainbow Moon is beginning to consist of me running around the first island and dunegon doing every fight possible whilst saying "I have no idea what I'm doing!".

Because everything in the second dungeon can kick my ass.

I also believe this is my fault, because I wasn't aware of how much grinding is involved, and I choose "Adventurous" for style and started off with nothing.

Yeah, you should start off with "Well Supported".  There's no penalty for it and you get a ton of gold & pearls to start with.

But you really shouldn't be dying constantly at any point until after you beat the story.

Red as in the mob ID. I get close to the mob, and the level of the top monster appears and is color coded in relation to my level. Like the theives show up red now, but the imp are green.

Got 2 in my party, and my problem is I'm wussing out of fights I need to just run in on. Got the groove now.

Red as in the mob ID. I get close to the mob, and the level of the top monster appears and is color coded in relation to my level. Like the theives show up red now, but the imp are green.

Got 2 in my party, and my problem is I'm wussing out of fights I need to just run in on. Got the groove now.

Yeah, I found that once I got the second party member and the first sub-turn I could usually take groups that were higher level than I.  The AI is not great and would usually ignore the main character to go after the archer, so I just ran her around him while I wailed on the enemies until they dropped.  The game definitely has weird difficulty spikes and plateaus, at least early on.

So I picked up Payday 2 when it was on sale on Steam and started playing with some friends, I have to say I'm really enjoying the game.  It's fun to play with a bunch of people on skype and actually plan out the heists and then pray it all goes well.  We were so stoked when we pulled a perfect stealth run on a hard Go Bank heist.

I also found a great solo stealth mission for grinding cash/XP to, I was pretty much able to jump from level 1 to level 25 in a night to catch up with my friends.