DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Picked up Diablo: Reaper of Souls for PS4 a couple of weeks ago, and I'll just say this.

After beating all of the versions of Diablo on PC over the years, Diablo on console is damn near insulting.

"Oh, hey, I can Town Portal back to camp whenever I want? No scrolls or anything? Just tap the right d-pad button?"

Honestly, I get having to get rid of some stuff for consoles or whatever, but seriously. . .it's just a completely different game. Maybe I just need to play a different class or something.

Picked up Diablo: Reaper of Souls for PS4 a couple of weeks ago, and I'll just say this.

After beating all of the versions of Diablo on PC over the years, Diablo on console is damn near insulting.

"Oh, hey, I can Town Portal back to camp whenever I want? No scrolls or anything? Just tap the right d-pad button?"

Honestly, I get having to get rid of some stuff for consoles or whatever, but seriously. . .it's just a completely different game. Maybe I just need to play a different class or something.

I think that's just a D4 thing, not a console thing.  I'm pretty cool with the change, myself, I think the identify and town portal scrolls didn't really add anything to the gameplay besides making you run errands.

This one I know nobody is gonna agree with me on, but I always liked DK64 more than Mario 64. I can't defend that position, it just grabbed me more. I'm a weirdo.

Well, I didn't like Mario 64 - AT ALL.  Can't really put it in words, to be honest. 

not enough pinball

Too many pixels.

The town portal thing is just quality of life shit.  What confuses me is that you can just identify any item by waiting for a bar to fill.  What's the point of waiting? There's a book back at each camp that identifies shit but when are you going to not immediately check out your new stuff?

The town portal thing is just quality of life shit.  What confuses me is that you can just identify any item by waiting for a bar to fill.  What's the point of waiting? There's a book back at each camp that identifies shit but when are you going to not immediately check out your new stuff?

Maybe it's just because my guy is ridiculously overpowered or something. I'm rolling a Crusader this time, and all of my weapons and armor and stuff is either +life after each hit or +life after each kill. It's damn near impossible for me to run out of life.

I'm just getting into Act IV, and I've died one time. . .and then only because I got surrounded by a bunch of those enemies that spread the fire across the floor and couldn't hit people quickly enough to get my life regenerated.

It was dumbed down long before the console port. It seems that Blizzard wanted to make the game more accessable to people who don't play as hardcore in those hack n slash loot runs as others.

So with my finishing the Mass Effect and Uncharted games I'm not sure what to play next while waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition which is still 3+ weeks away. My backlog of PS3 games I currently own and either haven't finished or played yet include: FFXIII, White Knight Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Symphonia, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Crown, Eternal Sonata, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I do plan to rent WWE 2K15 for a few days next week but nothing more than that. Any suggestions on what I should play next?

Kingdom of Amalur is pretty fun, and fairly light, but also feels very generic.  Dragon's Crown is a great brawler with some beautiful (and problematic) hand-drawn art.  But Red Dead is wholly fantastic, play that.

So with my finishing the Mass Effect and Uncharted games I'm not sure what to play next while waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition which is still 3+ weeks away. My backlog of PS3 games I currently own and either haven't finished or played yet include: FFXIII, White Knight Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Symphonia, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Crown, Eternal Sonata, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I do plan to rent WWE 2K15 for a few days next week but nothing more than that. Any suggestions on what I should play next?

You should give Ni No Kuni a try.  It's the most incredibly beautiful game I've ever played.  Very grind-y if you're going for a platinum but a really, really good game.

Either Oblivion or Red Dead Redemption. I have heard good things about Kingdom of Amalur too.

Zimbra's account of Amalur is accurate. I've actually played a good deal of it, its just so long.

Kingdom of Amalur is pretty fun, and fairly light, but also feels very generic.  Dragon's Crown is a great brawler with some beautiful (and problematic) hand-drawn art.  But Red Dead is wholly fantastic, play that.

I only did the first dungeon for DC, but it was interesting. It felt a bit rpgish for a brawler.

You should give Ni No Kuni a try.  It's the most incredibly beautiful game I've ever played.  Very grind-y if you're going for a platinum but a really, really good game.

I've liked what I've played of Ni No Kuni so far, but i should probably avoid something grindy for the moment.

Put a couple hours into Hammerwatch today for a change of pace from all the time suck strategy games I've been playing. It is, as advertised, GAUNTLET LIVES AGAIN. Although it's not nearly as brutal as Gauntlet was back in the day (at least on medium difficulty). Not an overly complex game, but it's a pretty hard formula to fail with you know? Pick a class. Kill stuff. Break barrels. Get coins. Spend coins on upgrades. When a boss launches novas of death at you hide behind a post.

Got into that Zen-like state where you keep hitting attack and the skeletons keep falling down. Cannot complain.

Haven't got past playing with the Ranger class yet. Everybody else will just have to wait.

Another game with Steam Workshop and an editor that could theoretically never end. Canadian winter is long. You have to pack on extra game levels the way bears pack on pounds before they hibernate.

• Like 2

So I've gotten into playing Tales of Xilia 2 and I have to say the game has pleasantly surprised me.  The combat system is just a blast, having multiple weapon sets and being able to change on the fly makes stringing up combos tons of fun.  The game's also even more character focused then your usual Tales game, which is good because fun characters have always been a hallmark of the series for me.