DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

I just got Civilization: Beyond Earth today; I am still a huge fan and fairly regular player of Alpha Centauri, so I am pretty excited about this game, too. Has anyone played yet and got an idea of a good strategy for one's first time in? I did hear that finding techs from multiple trees to help you establish a foothold and be able to survive is much more important than immediately trying to specialize, which is not my typical play-style in 4X games like this, but which I'm looking forward to trying. 

Moved on to Styx Master of Shadows.  This feels very 2005-y.  That ain't a pejorative statement either.  The cutscenes remind me of things like Arx Fatalis.  Austere like games used to be.

In terms of the actual stealth gameplay; it hews closer to the first two Splinter Cells. 

Not totally liking how some of the more useful moves are locked behind upgrades.  I'm not talking things like stronger magic or a larger potion stock.  Things that are usually basic moves like killing around a corner or hanging from a ledge.  It wouldn't be so lame if it wasn't progressively gated.  You have to upgrade things in a row even if you only want the third thing on the list. 

The voice actor for Styx seems to be aping My Pet Monster (Golden Book video version natch).  An oddly teen-aged read. 

The only reason I can think of that they have this weird combat system is that you'll be forced to use it on some sort of final boss.  It'll probably make me swear.

Something that is making me really enjoy it is how the platforming isn't completely automated.  You are actually allowed to jump all over shit.  His jump is just floaty enough to give you the space for any corrective aftertouch you wanna impose.

I kinda don't like how some sections seem to require using the invisibility power.

It also lets me hit F5 and F9 while still mainly playing with a controller.  This is a godsend.

• Like 1

So with my finishing the Mass Effect and Uncharted games I'm not sure what to play next while waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition which is still 3+ weeks away. My backlog of PS3 games I currently own and either haven't finished or played yet include: FFXIII, White Knight Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Symphonia, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Crown, Eternal Sonata, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I do plan to rent WWE 2K15 for a few days next week but nothing more than that. Any suggestions on what I should play next?

Unfortunately, the Platinum for White Knight Chronicles is next to impossible without the GeoNet quests due to their servers having been shut down in 2012. I managed to download the quests, but then it will take close to 600 hours (!) or more to actually achieve the Platinum.

Kingdom of Amalur is pretty fun, and fairly light, but also feels very generic. 

Have to agree. I've got a character in there somewhere, can't think of where, can't be bothered to pick it up as opposed to Skyrim. I'm sure I'll work through it someday...

So with my finishing the Mass Effect and Uncharted games I'm not sure what to play next while waiting for Dragon Age: Inquisition which is still 3+ weeks away. My backlog of PS3 games I currently own and either haven't finished or played yet include: FFXIII, White Knight Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Symphonia, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon's Crown, Eternal Sonata, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. I do plan to rent WWE 2K15 for a few days next week but nothing more than that. Any suggestions on what I should play next?

Unfortunately, the Platinum for White Knight Chronicles is next to impossible without the GeoNet quests due to their servers having been shut down in 2012. I managed to download the quests, but then it will take close to 600 hours (!) or more to actually achieve the Platinum.

Next to impossible but still possible. I have read of (very few) people who have earned the plat on both WK games solo.

Next to impossible but still possible. I have read of (very few) people who have earned the plat on both WK games solo.

I'll try for it on both since I'm probably nuts.

Kingdom of Amalur is pretty fun, and fairly light, but also feels very generic. 

Have to agree. I've got a character in there somewhere, can't think of where, can't be bothered to pick it up as opposed to Skyrim. I'm sure I'll work through it someday...

Yeah, I got about 2/3 of the way through the game (right before you go to the other continent) and just stopped.  It felt like the game had showed me everything it had to offer.  But everything up to that point was entertaining.  

Quick question for PS3 owners.

Is it possible for a controller to just die? Mine hasn't been charging and I just got a new cable for it.

Anything with a non-replaceable charger will eventually die. I haven't had any do it, but it's an inevitability as those batts only have so many recharges in them.

Makes me sad. :(

Also,

I can TOTALLY articulate why I don't - and never really did - like Mario64.

Innovative doesn't equal fun. A game where you spend half the game missing jumps and taking bullshit hits because you're fighting the camera isn't fun.

Fuck you. Mario 64 remains perfect and if you can't make a jump and fall to your death, that's on you. By nature, Mario platformers are design to fool your ass: it's a simple concept until you throw your controller down in rage.

THE LEGEND OF GRIMROCK 2 is a real delight. It is such a throwback to old school RPGs that the main difference between normal and hard is about having to use your own graph paper. the in-game version is great because you can use the map to mark traps and suspicious things. I could go on about it for hours but really if you're an old PC RPG fan, go buy both of these games. They're like getting your back scratched by an old crush.

• Like 2

The only time I ever used actual graph paper was for the first Wizardry on the NES, because if you didn't map that sucker out good luck.

That was the grindiest game ever. Like if you went to the second floor before you'd played for like 5 hours you were a fool. I also remember on the last couple floors there were vampires who could drain your character one level if they hit you sometimes. Fuck those vampires.

It had one of those old battery saves on the cartridge, but it was also like hardcore D and D rules stuff where your characters would age if you rested at the inn to heal too many times. You could actually just sleep in the stables for free and get around that though (and I was never sure if that was on purpose or a bug).

The only time I ever used actual graph paper was for the first Wizardry on the NES, because if you didn't map that sucker out good luck.

Phantasy Star II for me. I actually found them recently going through junk in my attic. Nostalgia at its finest.

I put a bunch of time into Rainbow Moon today and that seems super grindy as well. Loving it so far. Ran through the first dungeon and did a bit of power leveling. Figuring out battle spacing and how to properly maneuver enemies around to where I want them.

Shane, a heads up when playing Rainbow Moon - speed is, by far, the most important attribute in the game. Level that up ahead of everything else. Trust me on that. Put no money or effort into luck - that levels up all by itself through crafting. You'll max it out without even thinking about it.

Oh yeah, also: find a list online of all the various materials in the game that are needed for every single side mission or quest. You'll hate it if your sell stuff that you need later.

www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/27/xbox-one-price-drops-to-349-in-us

Between November 2nd and January 3rd, the X-Box One is dropped to $349 (including bundles like the white console). Combine that with the reviews on Sunset Overdrive coming out today and blowing people away, I'm really hoping more of my friends pick one up over the holidays.

Between November 2nd and January 3rd, the X-Box One is dropped to $349 (including bundles like the white console). Combine that with the reviews on Sunset Overdrive coming out today and blowing people away, I'm really hoping more of my friends pick one up over the holidays.

Kind of a sign they're getting their asses kicked, isn't it?

(Yes, I own a PS4)

Kind of a sign they're getting their asses kicked, isn't it?

(Yes, I own a PS4)

They're in 2nd place for certain, but the X-Box One is still the 2ndmost successful console launch ever. Both consoles are very healthy right now. Buy them both.

So instead of trickling shit out over the next three months, GOG dropped the biggest Lucasarts titles all at once today. KOTOR, Monkey Island 1 and Fate of Atlantis were all on Steam and thus not a big deal, but putting X Wing, TIE Fighter and Sam and Max all up at once is kind of ballsy. S&M is most interesting to me as Hit the Road is literally the only thing from that series I don't have (got all the Telltale games, the complete comics and the TV show) so I will be hitting that shit after The a Flash tonight.