DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Decided to give Luftrausers (PS+ freebie this month) a shot the other night.  Fun game with a unique take on the shmup genre.  Screen layout and feel are pretty similar to Time Pilot but with a unique twist: if you're not moving with a direction stick, gravity will pull you down.  FAST.  BIG-TIME.  In my limited time (less than an hour) with the game, I found it really hard but fun.  As you might expect, I hate the aesthetics.  It has a unique style and is going for an 8-bit look but it's just fugly.  Planes and ships are all just dark silhouettes and the whole thing is this khaki/brown color scheme.  You can apparently unlock other skins but I haven't gotten that far yet.  Anyway, fun game dragged down by its ugly look.

I feel like I ought to play through the final three Ratchet&Clank games before the movie and the game reboot hit next year, so I decided to try Full Frontal Assault today (realistically, the chances of me getting thru All-4-One without people to play with are zero, because it's so utterly bland and pedestrian.)

FFA is such a goddamned weird game, a League of Legends-type affair except played from a 3PS point of view and you have to build all the shit in your base tower-defense style.  I really don't understand how it got green-lit even as a $20 downloadable filler between 'real' games. Not unplayable or anything, but kind of awkward and there's nothing about it that would have encouraged me to give Insomniac money if I were an SCEA suit. I may end up skipping it and going straight to Enter the Nexus on the grounds that it's the last 'real' game before the PS4 revision of the first game.

Holeeeeeeee fuck.

I hope, I reeeaally hope this is the first crack in the "rush out yearly titles even if they're hot messes" franchise production but I doubt it.

Doesn't really explain how Activision is able to do yearly releases without problems, but they don't have 20+ campaigns like Assassin's Creed series does.

Holeeeeeeee fuck.

I hope, I reeeaally hope this is the first crack in the "rush out yearly titles even if they're hot messes" franchise production but I doubt it.

Doesn't really explain how Activision is able to do yearly releases without problems, but they don't have 20+ campaigns like Assassin's Creed series does.

If you're referring to Call of Duty, they have 3 studios rotating releases, so they actually have 3 years to make a game.

There is not one single sports franchise that makes yearly entries worthwhile on a consistent basis, either. They're becoming more and more like roster patches with a new online mode. It's pretty apparent with all the missing creation modes in the new WWE game that it too is a rush job and a great example of releasing a game because of the annual cycle. It's weird but more companies should do what EA *Sideshow Bob rake noise* has done with UFC. Avoid the yearly cycle and provide extensive post-release support. That game is hardly a paragon of great game production (first and foremost no created fighting sharing) but at least they're not releasing one next year and have done a good job of updating some of the roster and addressing community complaints/balancing issues with patches.

I got The Last of Us Remastered, Far Cry Collection, and WWE 2K14 with Target's Buy 2, Get 1 free sale. I actually haven't had the chance to get far into TLoUR, which is a nice game, but hasn't grabbed me yet, and since my XBL account is having issues that need to get sorted out, I haven't done much in Far Cry 3, either. WWE 2K14 isn't much engine-wise, but it has lots of options, and I really quite enjoy the Wrestlemania legacy mode so far.

Target is also doing a deal where you can trade in your 360 or PS3 copy of GTA V for a thirty-dollar coupon toward a XB1 or PS4 copy of GTA V. I was thinking about doing that, but I might just wait until a version of GTA V with all of the upcoming DLC is released instead. 

Holeeeeeeee fuck.

If you're referring to Call of Duty, they have 3 studios rotating releases, so they actually have 3 years to make a game.

Ubisoft does the same thing, just with internal teams.

Does anyone have a Playstation Vita or Playstation TV? Are there enough good Vita games to justify spending $80 on it? It's on sale at Gamestop. It also will stream my PS4 from my living room to my bedroom, so that's nice also. But I'm curious about Vita games.

I've had a Vita since just after launch, and there are plenty of good games for it; a ton of cross-buy PS3 and PS4 stuff these days mostly. It sucks that sony have basically given up on making new AAA titles, because the first year of the system was a really solid one with a very good Wipeout, a pretty decent Uncharted, the awesomeness of Gravity Rush, etc. 

Does anyone have a Playstation Vita or Playstation TV? Are there enough good Vita games to justify spending $80 on it? It's on sale at Gamestop. It also will stream my PS4 from my living room to my bedroom, so that's nice also. But I'm curious about Vita games.

Watch for the bundles. There's a sale going on where you get a game and a DS3 controller for $100 total,

I've seen it, its kinda like e-Bay just for games.  No money changes hands, you list and sell your games for their own in-house currency, then pay for shipping.  Anything you "buy" you don't pay shipping on.  

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297310/

So, this should probably interest someone here, right?

"Early Access" is kind of a dirty term of course (unless it's 7 Days To Die), as it's clearly still in the very early stages. But still. Worth watching.

Unless I am mixing it up with another game, Pro Wrestling X has literally been in development for 15 years.   And it looks like so far they have one wrestler and two moves.  While I am all for new wrestling games, I'll believe they put out a 100% finished product when I see it.

IGN really liked Far Cry 4 but...not so much Assassin's Creed Rogue.

1. Two different writers.

2. We fans care about the score much more than reviewers do. I promise you they don't take other scores into consideration when they pick a number. They care about their writing. When that's done they'll just say, "Uh, I liked it. 8.5. Whatever." Most of them would rather not assign a numeral score at all, but people keep demanding it. Video game fans are addicted to outrage.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297310/

So, this should probably interest someone here, right?

"Early Access" is kind of a dirty term of course (unless it's 7 Days To Die), as it's clearly still in the very early stages. But still. Worth watching.

Unless I am mixing it up with another game, Pro Wrestling X has literally been in development for 15 years.   And it looks like so far they have one wrestler and two moves.  While I am all for new wrestling games, I'll believe they put out a 100% finished product when I see it.

No idea about any of that. Pretty disappointing if true.

IGN really liked Far Cry 4 but...not so much Assassin's Creed Rogue.

1. Two different writers.

2. We fans care about the score much more than reviewers do. I promise you they don't take other scores into consideration when they pick a number. They care about their writing. When that's done they'll just say, "Uh, I liked it. 8.5. Whatever." Most of them would rather not assign a numeral score at all, but people keep demanding it. Video game fans are addicted to outrage.

I find I don't care too much about scores, especially for a game in a series I already like (AC).  I read the review for any red flags that tell me the game will suck.  Nothing in either review changed my opinion of whether I'll buy them.  They both look like games I want to own.

• Like 1