DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

3DS BUYING SPREE

TETRIS- is.

POKEMON TRADING CARD GAME- I remember playing the holy shit out of this when I was a kid and when I saw it was going to show up on VC I went without lunch just so I could get it. it is ultimately not as good as I remember because I don't have as much of an interest in that card game as I did when it came out, but I still don't regret it. The battle music is kind of perfect, which is good since it's the same song every duel.

POKEMON PUZZLE CHALLENGE- speaking of pokemon things my childhood ate, at least this one holds up. I mean, it's just Tetris Attack with Silver-era pokemon. That's good enough for me, though: Tetris Attack is right behind Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo as my favorite puzzle game.

SHOVEL KNIGHT- like... so the act of playing all feels great, but the nostalgia thing is weird to me. Those old action games people were crazy about were designed around the limitations of the system, and the 3DS is not as limited as the systems this game is trying to pretend it would go on. So like I enjoy playing it, but there's some aesthetic decisions that weird me out. Not like it would be better if the art was drawn differently or whatever, just that it keeps me from just getting into the experience.

Also, today I am getting a cartridge copy of MONSTER HUNTER 3 ULTIMATE because I am an idiot.

Mere mention of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 makes me want to find someone to taunt about filling half my screen with a green block then getting that evil green diamond mojo to drop on them.

Little known fact is that the DX Crotch Chop was specifically invented for moments like this.

• Like 1

You can play the Pokemon Trading Card game online for free now from the Pokemon Company. I don't know what makes the GBC version special, because I never tried that one, but this one they keep updated with new cards and crap. I've dabbled in it.

Best game I'm playing at the moment is dsiware's Bird & Beans on the 3DS. Less than two dollars, people.

Yeah, I spent a whole summer playing that and SNK/Capcom Card Fighters' Clash on NGPC when they both came out.

Any idea if the DS game is any good?

Were you one of the 5 people that early adopted the PS Vita?  Well, if so, you might be due some cash or Sony credit, thanks to:

the FTC slaps Sony's wrist for false/misleading Vita advertising

I'm all out on handheld systems but that pause and play was the only thing that's caught my eye in years. Nice to hear it was mostly a rib.

I now know what Playing Monster Hunter actually means. Like, what you do in it, and to what end.

All the people on here who are into like Destiny or GTA Online or whatever should check out MH4 when it comes out next year, because this is more or less the same kind of endgoal but with really odd fantasy design. Plus it requires really tactile mechanical skill since all of the weapons work very, very differently. It's kind of Dark Souls-y in that way, where it's about timing swings, but it also adds location based damage effects on the animals, so it's about knowing your animations REALLY well and researching what you're doing.

So far, super into MH3, but there's no online, and 4 is gonna have online, so I can't recommend getting 3.

Best Buy is selling Wii U consoles online with Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Smash Brothers for $360 if you enter the promo code WIIUDEAL.

As an owner of all of those games, I assure everyone, that's a fantastic deal. Jump on it.

Yeah, that's a sweet deal. If you play with buds frequently Wii U is the system for you. Smash Brahs is a blast and you can use wii motes for up to 8 players. 3d World is fantastic and a great challenge when you get to the last few worlds.

Best Buy is selling Wii U consoles online with Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country, and Super Smash Brothers for $360 if you enter the promo code WIIUDEAL. 

Is this a Thu/Fri thing? I went looking and while I found a bundle with those games it's listed as 'coming soon' and can't be put in cart.

So, since it was only $2.50 on PSN this week, I'm finally getting around to Kingoms of Amalur.  Man, its a damn shame 38 Studios died so quick, because for a first time out, this is a pretty fun game.  

• Like 1

Is this a Thu/Fri thing? I went looking and while I found a bundle with those games it's listed as 'coming soon' and can't be put in cart.

I bought it before I posted it here, so maybe they've sold out.  I've been hemming and hawing about buying one for a few months, and as soon as I seen that deal I dove on it like a fumble.

Some fun new stuff available for PS3/PS4 this week:

Geometry Wars (PS3/PS4)

Tales From the Borderlands (PS3/PS4)

Speakeasy (PS4)

Akiba's Trip (PS4)

Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender DX (PS4)

Thomas Was Alone (PS4)

Among others.

Aqua Kitty and Geometry Wars both look like a lot of fun.  Aqua Kitty is basically and underwater version of arcade classic Defender with a silly theme.  Geometry Wars is the latest entry in the awesome twin stick shooter series.  I doubt I'll bet getting either one right away but definitely will once there's a sale.

So, since it was only $2.50 on PSN this week, I'm finally getting around to Kingoms of Amalur. Man, its a damn shame 38 Studios died so quick, because for a first time out, this is a pretty fun game.

What a clusterfuck the behind-the-scenes situation and financing was with that game. You're right though, it is fun.

I saw a live stream of Tales from Borderlands on PS4 this morning before work and it looks like a LucasArts like adventure game (at least in the humor) than the overall 'point and click' ness. I'm leaning towards getting the season pass but I got quite a number of games to get through in the next few days, so it'll  be awhile.

It's kind of crazy that a decade ago, the episodic content model was being hyped as a revolutionary business structure, and to this day nobody but Telltale has succeeded with it. Even Valve gave up after not being able to produce to the timetable that model demands.

To be fair, Valve didn't meet demands because they QA test like fucking crazy people. Like, they use testing to analyze their own level design and shit, to see what people look at and don't look at and if they're responding how they want. They're lucky to be able to afford the resources to just sit there and nail shit down as hard as they do.