DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

Picked up Steamworld Dig for $3 on Steam. Between that and Binding of Isaac, I've bought two games for under five bucks combined in the past few weeks and have put in 15 or so hours of gameplay so far. I like that math.

Isaac might be the best gaming deal I've ever gotten. 11 hours (so far) for less than $1

stopped at 4 different stores to get the new Amiibos that supposedly came out today. two of said stores had them in stock, but couldn't sell them to me. one store said that there weren't any coming out. the two that had them gave me two different release dates (tuesday and wednesday), and the fourth store said they hadn't received any yet.

pain in my ass.

stopped at 4 different stores to get the new Amiibos that supposedly came out today. two of said stores had them in stock, but couldn't sell them to me. one store said that there weren't any coming out. the two that had them gave me two different release dates (tuesday and wednesday), and the fourth store said they hadn't received any yet.

pain in my ass.

Ugh. And I'm still trying to get Marth from the last run!

pain in my ass.

Ugh. And I'm still trying to get Marth from the last run!

i'm not gonna grab them all. i've got 4 from the first set and have 4 i want from this second set. i'm sure i'll pick up more as time goes on, but i'm still not really sure what i'm going to do with them.

Damn, SHADOW OF MORDOR is addictive. I booted it up this afternoon just thinking I'd sample it for a few minutes, but I ended up playing it for almost 3 hours. Like, I'm amazed at how easily it sucks you in to that world and all the minigames and XP grinding. It's the polar opposite of UNITY.

I'm gonna have some fun with this on Christmas vacation...if I can keep myself from diving in headfirst before then.

• Like 1

I've only played about 2 hours of Mordor, but in those 2 hours I found myself just hunting Orcs. I did one story mission during all that time. Love how an orc ranks up and gets more powerful if he kills you. I went on grudge hunts about 5 times trying to take them down. It was great. 

Destiny gets most of my time now and I'm almost done with my second play through of Evil Within, but I figure I'll go back to Mordor in a week. 

• Like 1

Swear to god, almost as soon as I started the game, I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque and ended up in a big battle royale with 3 or 4 war chiefs and their crews. I picked off one of them, but I was so new to the game that I really had no chance. I thought about restarting, but when I saw the board reshuffle, I was hooked. The Orc who killed me got himself a new rank and badass title, and I was like, "Uh-uh, fuck you, dude. You're not getting over at my expense."

• Like 3

I've only played about 2 hours of Mordor, but in those 2 hours I found myself just hunting Orcs. I did one story mission during all that time. Love how an orc ranks up and gets more powerful if he kills you. I went on grudge hunts about 5 times trying to take them down. It was great. 

Destiny gets most of my time now and I'm almost done with my second play through of Evil Within, but I figure I'll go back to Mordor in a week. 

How is Evil Within? Many places have it for a lower price and I have a few birthday gift cards burning a hole  my pocket....

How is Evil Within? Many places have it for a lower price and I have a few birthday gift cards burning a hole  my pocket....

Once you get past the first two chapters, the game opens up (supposedly). I'm still stuck there because the game gives you virtually no clues as to what to do.

Funny thing about this, for me anyway, is that I've actually written my own - very playable, thank you - version of Tetris that runs just fine.  On 10-year old PCs.  So I know how freaking easy that game is to code, relatively speaking.  I think this is just hilarious.

Oddly enough, I was just playing Tetris on my PS3 last week and was wondering when we'd see a PS4 version.  Had no idea one was coming nor that it would be out yesterday.

IGN's Game of the Year nominees:

-Child of Light

-Hearthstone

-Dragon Age: Inquisition

-Super Smash Bros for Wii U

-Shovel Knight

-Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

-Transistor

-South Park: The Stick of Truth

-Sunset Overdrive

-Bayonetta 2

My personal picks would be either Smash Bros or Sunset Overdrive.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Volgarr the Viking should be on there.  The game is so hard, but it's still fun and you feel like a boss when you beat a level. 

So since me participating in a ballot thing would basically be "here's about ten games no one has played or will play," here are about ten games no one has played or will play that I was quite fond of.

10. MARIO GOLF WORLD TOUR, which went through the motions but I was down for it this time.

9. FRACT OSC, which is a puzzle game about someone who got asked "what is it like to make music" too many times.

8. LEGEND OF GRIMROCK II, which I didn't finish because I am scared of oversized bugs.

7. THE FALL EPISODE 1, which is Flashback with a story worth a dang.
6. THREES!, which makes me smile every time the blocks say hello.
5. SUPER SMASH BROS FOR 3DS, which is about trophies and the acquisition of them.
4. LUFTRAUSERS, which is a game about feeling like pressing buttons harder makes you do better.
3. THE TALOS PRINCIPLE, which I am not finished with and completely in love with.
2. KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO ACT 3, which finishes an incredibly bleak mid-story twist with the single best visual gag a game has managed in over a decade.
1. TOMODACHI LIFE, because I bought a 3DSXL to play it so it kind of has to be #1 just on an "investment in to investment returned" scale.

When I'm done with THE TALOS PRINCIPLE I'll have a lot to say about it. For now I'll say "if you think you might like this but think $40 is a little steep, do not fear."

For shit that came out this year, Mordor has to be #1 this year for me due to the sheer fact that I actually beat it.  I have more hours in on Dragon Age but am probably only 20% through the game.  Playing a lot of Far Cry 4 when I only have 2-3 hours to waste.  Mario Kart and Donkey Kong TF just didn't keep me playing.  I mean, I never really liked any of the Mario Karts that much.  Donkey Kong should've hooked me more that it did.  Still holding off on Smash Bros, Captain Toad and Bayonetta 2. I wanna swoop in when I can get a cheap brand new boxed copy right before they go OOP and start rising. What's crazy is I love my fucking Wii U.  I just never seem to consistently play it.  I'll get hot on something and play a shitload, then go 3 months without even turning it on.  I pre-ordered a Mega Man amiibo because you fucking know that shit ain't going to last forever.  Even though I know that the functionality of those toys is negligible at best.

Biggest disappointment was the new Thief game.  Hews too close to the Deadly Shadows formula of small levels and a basically pointless city. The side jobs were the only things that retained a bit of the old Thief humor.  Also don't love all the animation priority in it.  Every single thing that would've been a fluid, instantaneous action before is now an overwrought mess. Stupid window opening and narrow space QTEs that mask loading times get my blood aflutter. It never makes me think it's worthwhile to really scour a room looking for a secret switch.  Something I really hate is when you are exploring and find a hidden passage then automatically get locked out of the earlier part of the level.

Whatever.  The Dark Mod exists therefore it doesn't really matter.