DVDVR Message Board

2014 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

RIPPA

My personal GOTY is probably Mordor, inFamous: SS, DKC: Tropical Freeze, or Child of Light. I'd have Civilization: Beyond Earth in the mix too, even though whenever I play it, I realize that I'd rather be playing Alpha Centauri/Alien Crossfire, so I boot that up instead eventually.

This was a weak year for video games. I guess that's why I'm playing so much N64 lately. 

Speaking of the N64, I'm revisiting Super Mario 64 right now, and it aged so poorly, probably more so than any other game I can think of from that era...and it's still fun despite the somewhat broken camera system and controls. I don't think Mario ever got exploration exactly right in the way that Super Mario 64 gets it. Even back in the day when it came out...nearly twenty years ago? Man, I'm old. Anyway, even back in the day, I really thought that it was overrated because of the camera issues and some control issues, but playing now, I can see the charm and why this game is so enduring. I think these N64 3D platformers are the perfect example of why 2D platformers are just intrinsically better games, though. 

Since this year I pretty much turned into a trophy hunter and didn't actually play that much, my list is very small.

But it would include:

1) Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare - Best multiplayer shooter since CounterStrike IMO.

2) TxK - Tempest on the Vita, what more do you need?

3) Velocity 2X - I need to play more of this over the Christmas break. Very addictive.

4) The Binding of Isaac Rebirth - PS+ free game and extremely great. I still haven't finished it, but I want to.

Hopefully, I'll get to CounterSpy, Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, and Transistor during the next two weeks.

My top 5:

1) Distant Worlds: Universe

2) Endless Legend

3) Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

4) Divinity: Original Sin

5) Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Wasteland 2 and Dragon Age both get incompletes since I haven't played enough of them.  Worst new game I played this year was Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.  It wasn't exactly bad, but it was buggy and kinda boring and I only played 8 new games this year.

EDIT: I forgot, I also played The Last Federation, which was bad, but was at least bad in interesting ways.

Eh, PoE is fine if you want to play more Diablo 2, which I really, really don't.  Diablo 3 on console is the most fun I've had playing local co-op.  It's definitely got some fiddly bits w/r/t endgame, but I've had a ton of fun with it.

Yeah, I know the feeling.

Meanwhile I'm still playing around with the Wii U. It's kind of nuts how I've gotten so used to the 3DS and Wii making Nintendo feel 'behind' (bear in mind I had a Vita 18 months before I got a 3DS) that seeing Mario 3D World, with PS3-level graphics, feels like a revelation even after 9 months of PS4 ownership. Just a totally gorgeous game.

I could've told you the PS3 interface sucked day one. Was in disbelief when I realised there were three steps after booting up just to highlight the option of playing the game in the disk drive. Was reminded how absurd this was when recently setting up PS Move and finding that instead of just pointing at what you wanted you had to traverse the same menu but with individual directional waggles instead of d-pad presses.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it seems even worse now that I've gotten accustomed to the really great ps4 interface.

Funny, I don't like the PS4 interface. Hate how it groups everything into a single line. Hate that it bumps up stuff I've never used to the front of the line. Hate that I can't hide stuff I never use. Hate that it takes right 700 clicks to approve a friend request. Hate that some stuff is buried into completely nonsensical places.

Etc.

• Like 2

I finished the story of Far Cry 4. Fun game but I was getting burnt out on it towards the end, so I have no desire to do all the side stuff to get 100%.

My PS3's hard drive is full of stuff from the PSN sales, so I am trying to clear that backlog out. Still trudging through Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, in the middle of The Warriors, and started up Crysis.

A little thing that impresses me about MORDOR is how quickly it loads. You can jump into a game incredibly quickly, and the load time on fast travel (which was a joke in UNITY) is almost non-existent.

That makes it a perfect "got 30 minutes or so to blow" game.

Yeah that sucks. My wife got me a PS4 and I can't get anything set up. I did play a bit of Watch Dogs, which seems fun besides the wonky driving controls and the usual Ubisoft design of way too many side things that aren't all that interesting.