DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

The Acclaimed have a nice role as the NAO of AEW, but I can never see them being more than that. Entrance always pops the crowd, competent enough, but never gonna out-shine the top guys in the ring.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

The Acclaimed have a nice role as the NAO of AEW, but I can never see them being more than that. Entrance always pops the crowd, competent enough, but never gonna out-shine the top guys in the ring.

And there is nothing wrong with that. That's a pretty great spot, and they are literally teaming with a member of the NAO lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

In their current state I'll give you no argument, but they will Hopefully move on. When they do I know there's a few us who feel, at some point, that Anthony Bowens could potentially have something to offer as a singles. Caster too. He's greatly improved over the course of his time in AEW, and his charisma suggests it's way too early to write him off.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

My fantasy booking is that The Acclaimed defend their trios titles against The Elite (Billy Gunn vs Okada!), lose and do a soft split. Caster can feud with Keith Lee or some other big guys, and work a loudmouth antagonist gimmick. Bowens can win a ton of matches and get a World title shot on PPV (against World Champ Swerve Strickland, because it would mean a lot to a lot of people to have a black World champion defend against a black challenger, and to have a gay man vying to be top dog in the company). And Billy Gunn can have a quiet few months or go back to his semi-retired manager gig that he had before the trios thing took off.

• Like 5

I'm a big Bryan Danielson and Batman fan but that doesn't stop me disliking some parts of both. Feels weird critiquing who I regard in Bryan Danielson the Greatest of All Time but If change, again whom am I to say this to Danielson but nevertheless...

• The running knee getting kicked out of more. Used to be a list of four give or take in WWE but it's expanded since AEW. Kazuchika Okada, Zack Sabre Jr, Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Adam Page, MJF, Brody King off the top of my head.
  • The seizure sell.
  • The diving headbutt/shoot headbutts.
  • Bryan Danielson is such a selfless person, an admirable trait but rarely wins the big match in AEW. Danielson's jobbed to Jon Moxley, Adam Page, MJF, Eddie Kingston, MJF. Granted the top guys but I just wish he'd win the big one. In a recent match a commentator picked up Danielson's win loss record as one of AEW's best but he's still never held a championship there.
  • Only AEW matches of Bryan's I didn't like were one of two with Chris Jericho, Miro, Jon Moxley and Brian Cage.
Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

The Acclaimed are still a merch moving machine, every time they drop a new shirt you see like 5% of the audience wearing it, which is not Austin 3:16 but is respectable considering they have new shirts every 2-3 weeks right now. Once that cools, they’ll reboot.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 3

Yeah, getting the Acclaimed back to what they were a couple years ago would be awesome, but I don’t see any real path forward for either guy as a single. I’d love to see them in the tag team tournament, though…

• Like 2

TK mentioned DVDVR during the panel he, Danielson and Britt Baker did at SXSW a few days ago. It was in reference to Danielson not thinking people thought he was the best wrestler in the world in 2004, and TK said this board did, because he was there. Trevor Dame assumes this is in reference to the DVD 500.

Another fun tidbit from that panel was that Vince apparently asked Bryan, when he was doing creative before he left, what AEW was doing that WWE wasn’t. So Bryan went and watched something like 6-8 weeks of TV in one weekend and came back, “they’re doing a lot”.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 7

Wouldn't it be ironic, if it turned out that watching all of those AEW shows was what made Danielson want to make the jump?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

I'm a big Bryan Danielson and Batman fan but that doesn't stop me disliking some parts of both. Feels weird critiquing who I regard in Bryan Danielson the Greatest of All Time but If change, again whom am I to say this to Danielson but nevertheless...

• The running knee getting kicked out of more. Used to be a list of four give or take in WWE but it's expanded since AEW. Kazuchika Okada, Zack Sabre Jr, Jon Moxley, Eddie Kingston, Adam Page, MJF, Brody King off the top of my head.
  • The seizure sell.
  • The diving headbutt/shoot headbutts.
  • Bryan Danielson is such a selfless person, an admirable trait but rarely wins the big match in AEW. Danielson's jobbed to Jon Moxley, Adam Page, MJF, Eddie Kingston, MJF. Granted the top guys but I just wish he'd win the big one. In a recent match a commentator picked up Danielson's win loss record as one of AEW's best but he's still never held a championship there.
  • Only AEW matches of Bryan's I didn't like were one of two with Chris Jericho, Miro, Jon Moxley and Brian Cage.

I know you won't disagree with me here, but I really wish that Danielson would beat Ospreay. For a few reasons. Danielson needs a big win occasionally in these "dream" matches he does, even if he doesn't want to win a title he needs victories occasionally in his big matches or they just become special attractions. I also think it would set up a good story for Ospreay. What does he still need to improve? How does Callis react? Is he really as good as he thinks he is? And on top of that, it would be a surprise since most people will assume Ospreay is winning. I don't believe in a "swerve for the sake of a swerve" but a surprise win now and then is good for the show and its not something that would hurt Ospreay long term. Small added side effect, if they want to keep him out of the title picture for awhile it will give Ospreay a "L" for their rankings.

I don't think it would happen, but I do think Ospreay losing would open up more booking options then him winning.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Only AEW matches of Bryan's I didn't like were one of two with Chris Jericho, Miro, Jon Moxley and Brian Cage.

I'm legit surprised there were Danielson AEW matches you didn't like.  I'm not a fan of Cage so I remember that not being that interesting.  As for Mox if it's the PPV match they had I remember liking that unless there was another I'm blanking on.  I don't remember the others that much.

Also, if we're talking dream Daneilson matches I'm still here waiting on a one-on-one match against Orange and especially Angelico.  Both would be fucking fantastic and would make for incredible random matches to put on Collision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1