DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MARCH 2024

Shartnado

With no knowledge of what either scenario would generate in dollar-bucks, I wonder if the reason they continue with the surprises is to have their monetized YouTube vid of the debut get a bajillion views. I know I've watched AJ showing up at his first Rumble an absurd amount of times...

• Like 1

Might just be a case of differing priorities.  WB wants them announced ahead of time because all they care about is selling ad time.  TK wants them to be surprises because it's wrestling tradition and it creates a memorable moment you can play off of.

• Like 2

I’d say it’s more TK being a fan of the “surprise” angle.  I know they got to the point in ECW when they just ran out of ideas for that spot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coletti said:

With no knowledge of what either scenario would generate in dollar-bucks, I wonder if the reason they continue with the surprises is to have their monetized YouTube vid of the debut get a bajillion views. I know I've watched AJ showing up at his first Rumble an absurd amount of times...

Its impossible to prove but I believe somewhat strongly that if they had done local advertising on TV (using New Japan footage) and on signage with her debut, it would have helped ticket sales. Whether it would have been 50 tickets or 1,000 tickets I have no idea but it couldn't have hurt.

• Like 4

I’ve heard a lot of different formulas for how views translate into dollars on YouTube, they keep changing it. Does anyone know what a million views equals these days? Someone mentioned offsetting any losses to TV ad revenue with YouTube and in my old head there’s no way the money is the same

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

weeks-long build-up

I read this and was reminded that the first-ever build-up promo/segment I ever saw was for... Brakkus. And then I never saw him in the ring and for years thought he never showed up! 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Log said:

I think anyone that cares about Sasha Banks debuting next week already knows she's debuting next week.

And I think that's the part I disagree with (while acknowledging I can't back it up). We, wrestling forum posters and chronically online wrestling fans, all know. But my brother didn't know until I told him as he doesn't follow online wrestling news, TK's announcement with the subtle Bo$$ton didn't catch his eye, and he likes Sasha Banks just fine. So my point is more I am sure there are some WWE fans in the Boston area that just aren't online fans that may not be aware.

Obviously TK has weighed the pros/cons of how he is doing it and decided this is the best course, my only argument is that it couldn't have *hurt* to properly announce it instead of having it obvious to online wresting fans.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

And I think that's the part I disagree with (while acknowledging I can't back it up). We, wrestling forum posters and chronically online wrestling fans, all know. But my brother didn't know until I told him as he doesn't follow online wrestling news, TK's announcement with the subtle Bo$$ton didn't catch his eye, and he likes Sasha Banks just fine. So my point is more I am sure there are some WWE fans in the Boston area that just aren't online fans that may not be aware.

Obviously TK has weighed the pros/cons of how he is doing it and decided this is the best course, my only argument is that it couldn't have *hurt* to properly announce it instead of having it obvious to online wresting fans.

I agree with the above. Also, Mercedes debut isn't (7 years away and ppl clamouring for) Punk, and for that reason I don't understand why they didn't even give us at the very least a Darby-like 'Best in the World' tease.

Considering how they do what they want to do, I have some doubts on the WBD has made requests concerning surprises rumour. I think TK lives and dies by his own pen-sword, and his seemingly endless money, and isn't Overly concerned by the current attendance figures etc. Meaning I sense he's confident in the upcoming direction, and TV rights money, and is strongly banking on the new additions to the roster to correct the course. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

They didn't hint at Punk nearly as blatantly as they're doing for Moné and that was a smashing success. I just took a look at tickets available for Bos(s)ton and they're very, very limited and quite expensive. I really like the approach of, "we're not gonna say but... well, you know" and it's clearly working well for them. We're leagues past The Butcher & The Blade. 

Could Okada's debut been hyped more? Sure. Would the kind of people who'd pay money to see Okada NOT be internet dweebs like us? I highly doubt that. 

• Like 2

I'm glad Kevin Kelly is gone. He was useless in AEW. I kinda hope they do a rotating third announcer like they used to do for Rampage. Menard has been killing it in his test runs. Paul Wight has been decent in his appearances and is sharp enough to not get pushed around by Nigel. Riccabonni is always competent. I'm sure Taz could handle one extra show a month. Hell, throw RJ City in there once and see what happens.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Coletti said:

I just took a look at tickets available for Bos(s)ton and they're very, very limited and quite expensive. I really like the approach of, "we're not gonna say but... well, you know" and it's clearly working well for them.

So, I saw a tweet earlier today, saying 7000 tickets have been sold, all in the lower bowl, and all that is left are $50+.  Ticketmaster is now showing $26 tix available in the upper deck. AEW is looking at a $500K house based on a few dollar signs on a graphic (Bo$$ton).

Not bad for a T-shirt company on the verge of bankruptcy.

• Like 7

Dave Meltzer:

Bryan Danielson has said he's looking for matches against Hiromu Takahashi, El Desperado, Tetsuya Naito, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shingo Takagi and Tomohiro Ishii from New Japan.

Yes, please.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer:

Bryan Danielson has said he's looking for matches against Hiromu Takahashi, El Desperado, Tetsuya Naito, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Shingo Takagi and Tomohiro Ishii from New Japan.

Yes, please.

They’re gonna let him book his entire block in the G1, aren’t they? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If that’s a G1 block start have Bryan and Tanahashi on the first night cause I don’t know if Tana would be in shape for the match to be very great otherwise or even happen for that matter.

But honestly yes I want all of these to become real. Bryan/Despy would be so amazing and I never really considered it before but now I need it to happen 

• Like 2

Bryan Danielson is one of the few who'd be able to get something out of a shot Hiroshi Tanahashi. Tana's aged in dog years and that saddens me considering he's in my top ten greatest wrestlers of all time.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I didn't read the Collision spoilers.

Did Okada and the Bucks come out to Wayward Son?

Because it would be fucking awesome if they came out to Wayward Son. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Idiot King said:

Can Naito still go? I haven't kept up on NJPW stuff in ages, but in my mind, that would be a really fun match.

Naito still goes for it when it's a big match.

10 hours ago, Coletti said:

They didn't hint at Punk nearly as blatantly as they're doing for Moné and that was a smashing success. I just took a look at tickets available for Bos(s)ton and they're very, very limited and quite expensive. I really like the approach of, "we're not gonna say but... well, you know" and it's clearly working well for them. We're leagues past The Butcher & The Blade. 

I'm not disagreeing, but with Punk they had Darby mention in a promo 'the best in the world' which is a pretty direct reference. I get how Big Business could relate to somebody whose changed their popular known name to 'Mone', but that doesn't seem as blatant to me. It also seems like something that could be missed by anybody who isn't aware of her name change. I sense I've missed something else? That said, I don't really know Mercedes Mone outside of the NXT Bayley match and some New Japan highlights. 

6 hours ago, SovietShooter said:

So, I saw a tweet earlier today, saying 7000 tickets have been sold, all in the lower bowl, and all that is left are $50+.  Ticketmaster is now showing $26 tix available in the upper deck. AEW is looking at a $500K house based on a few dollar signs on a graphic (Bo$$ton).

Not bad for a T-shirt company on the verge of bankruptcy.

Oh Im sure they will be taking second billing to puppet shows any minute now

Jeff Teravainen on X: "Don't believe the marquee. It's Spinal Tap and Puppet  show!!! #FakeConcertFacts https://t.co/enmzFWOGAm" / X

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

I didn't read the Collision spoilers.

Did Okada and the Bucks come out to Wayward Son?

Because it would be fucking awesome if they came out to Wayward Son. 

Wayward Son was the Elite’s music when they were doing the post Brawl Out sympathy run. They’re heels now, using that Succession rip-off theme. It fits better, IMO.

3 hours ago, Ace said:

Naito still goes for it when it's a big match.

A good way to tell: you’re in for a crummy time when Naito is wearing a tshirt. If he’s not, he’s gonna go until his knees turn to (star)dust.