DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I would like think that Michael Hayes, despite traveling the world over, didn't run into a Jewish person until his 40s and then had a list of questions ready just in case.

I mean how many times did he and the Birds headline the Hanukkah Star Wars from Reunion Arena?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, AxB said:

Maxx Payne's gear in WCW, he looked like he was wearing a "Wrestling attire" version of his regular clothes. When he showed up in WWF, he was dressing like a fake metalhead. Like if Vince had somehow never heard of heavy metal, but had it explained to him by someone who knew, only Vince zoned out after hearing "Well, it started with the hippies in the 60s".

I think everyone in wrestling decided to not do the Dominator any more after Giant Singh killed that guy while attempting it.

It might have been a while, but Lashley used to break out the Dominator here and there as a secondary finisher/false finish move.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I remember Cornette saying for some reason he ended up driving with Mo, and Mo said very little the entire time they were in car.

I mean he's fat, Jim. Just bring up Wendy's or any related fast food and there is your common ground right here. I mean you can kill three hours talking about who has the best fries alone.

I just have to mention here how much I an enjoying you going thru the 95 WWF stuff because it's mostly what I grew up with and I want to rewatch but your reviews scratch that itch and make me, you know, not have to rewatch it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, AxB said:

Maxx Payne's gear in WCW, he looked like he was wearing a "Wrestling attire" version of his regular clothes.

From "King of Atlanta" - Page 64 - Beach Blast 93

4. Johnny B. Badd vs. Maxx Payne

Why did Payne wear a giant T-shirt calling himself a "Fashion Victim"? Didn't he choose his own outfit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maxx Payne had a friend who ran a clothing business, I think they made his entrance jackets, as well as his shirts. He decided to sneakily promote that business on telly without telling WCW he was doing it, so he had the Fashion Victim Maxx Payne shirts made.

The company was called Fashion Victim clothing.

• Like 2

At that time, WCW likely had very little way in the way of merch (at least when he was there) because of low live event/house show attendance. They probably told him we don't mind you bringing in your own stuff as long as it doesn't infringe on any existing trademark. If that was the case and/or he didn't have a decent money contract at the time, I could see why he would do that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Bringing a new meaning to “Choppy Chopy his Pee Pee” 

I was waiting for someone to suggest Yamaguchi of Kai-en-tai showing up in this angle as the only officially-trained Japanese mohel. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I get that from the point of view Jack explaining how Cornette wanted it to be the Gangsters and Jack was like it should be the "Gangstas".

That's like Marty & Shawn explaining to Verne that they wanted to be called the Midnight Rockers, and Verne thinking it was a rocking chair reference.

19 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

"I wish to protect the Environment"

(fans prematurely cheer)

"From the international bankers seeking to destroy the Ozone"

(cheering ends)

That reminds me of Chuck Taylor's "whitemeat southern babyface who also happens to be antisemitic" idea.  He's doing a post-match promo like, "I love y'all!  Thank ya for supporting me!  I fight for all y'all and I love y'all except the Jews thank ya'll goodnight!"

19 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Secret Jewish person Michael Hayes debuts and trades in the stars and bars for the Star of David. It writes itself.

All I can think about is the ignorant-ass T shirts in the early 90s when the Malcolm X hats were hot...the shirts with the confederate flag that said "you have your X and I have mine."

13 hours ago, The Great ML said:

I mean how many times did he and the Birds headline the Hanukkah Star Wars from Reunion Arena?

"Star (of David) Wars" was right there!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That's like Marty & Shawn explaining to Verne that they wanted to be called the Midnight Rockers, and Verne thinking it was a rocking chair reference.

I'm kind of thinking that Verne didn't like the name, made a sarcastic comment and since Marty & Shawn were kind of dumb didn't get it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

I'm kind of thinking that Verne didn't like the name, made a sarcastic comment and since Marty & Shawn were kind of dumb didn't get it. 

Right? I mean he had noted Rock n Roller and kiddie diddler Buck Zumhoff on his roster.

• Like 1

Michael PS Hayes

The PS stands for Putz Shmuck. You rename all the Freebirds. Girdy becomes Shlomo Ginsburg and Roberts is there Cantor!

During the summer they only book shows in the Catskills

James

Edited by J.H.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That reminds me of Chuck Taylor's "whitemeat southern babyface who also happens to be antisemitic" idea.  He's doing a post-match promo like, "I love y'all!  Thank ya for supporting me!  I fight for all y'all and I love y'all except the Jews thank ya'll goodnight!"

All I can think about is the ignorant-ass T shirts in the early 90s when the Malcolm X hats were hot...the shirts with the confederate flag that said "you have your X and I have mine."

"Star (of David) Wars" was right there!

Speaking of the You have your x We got ours shirts,maybe 6 years ago saw a younger guy wearing one locally. Looked and it looked brand new. Haven't seen one in decades so did some shitkicker find a palette of old "New" stock redneck fashion wear? Was it packed along with a pile of Nascar and Gone with the Wind Shirts? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I’ve been thinking about Billy Jack and his situation is right up there with Chris Benoit. He freaking shot his wife. Maybe it wasn’t as much of a shock to hear about this coming from him and maybe he has a whole other shit list of things, which makes it seem like less of a deal but is there much else really that comes close? The answer is yes I know but that also doesn’t make this any less of a tragedy IMO. Also this list of what else isn’t that long. I feel sorry for the guy and I always have for similar reasons that I felt sorry for Chris Benoit. I’m not necessarily excusing him either which is a discussion we’ve had about many tragedies but I thought I would go ahead and say that before he dies and it sounds like I’m looking back with rose colored glasses. He can’t have long himself. 

On a quick glance - just from the couple of lines I have read so far about the case - it might be a completely different situation. His wife was 85, suffering from dementia and Haynes was taking care of her. In cases like this the likeliest scenario is that Haynes was overwhelmed with the situation, could not see any other way out resp. forward than murder-suicide (the stand-off with the cops might have been an attempt at suicide-by-cop) and in the end did not go through with the suicide. Still a very tragic situation, but not in the least comparable with the Benoit case. Trying to understand the Benoit case inevitably leads you to think about concussions, steroids, other drugs, friends dying left and right and yes also previous behavioural problems that pre-date a lot of other issues, the Haynes case on the surface does not require that, it seems rather simple and similar cases happen often enough that it is barely news-worthy (though, again, still tragic).

Of course, I could be completely off trying to read what happened why and the case might be very different.

Edited by Robert S
  • Sad 1

Random bit of drama for me watching Chi-Town Rumble today

Seeing three consecutive finishes where the referee had to raise an arm to clear up the winner (Rick Steiner pinning himself, Windham/Lugar back suplex, and two pinfalls at the same time in Road Warriors/Varsity Club), and forgetting if the first Flair/Steamboat match also had a back suplex almost a double pin finish.

The first one didn't have that finish.. I was thinking of the Clash match which had that finish, a card i'll probably watch sometime in April.

The schedule for me watching shows on the Network will likely change once Spring Training starts up and I start spending lots of time with the TV on MLB Network as the Phillies and Tigers play each other yet again in the Grapefruit League.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Seeing three consecutive finishes where the referee had to raise an arm to clear up the winner (Rick Steiner pinning himself, Windham/Lugar back suplex, and two pinfalls at the same time in Road Warriors/Varsity Club), and forgetting if the first Flair/Steamboat match also had a back suplex almost a double pin finish.

The first one didn't have that finish.. I was thinking of the Clash match which had that finish, a card i'll probably watch sometime in April.

The schedule for me watching shows on the Network will likely change once Spring Training starts up and I start spending lots of time with the TV on MLB Network as the Phillies and Tigers play each other yet again in the Grapefruit League.

Maybe I was just kinda tired when watching it but I found the Flair-Steamboat series decreased in quality in chronological order.  1 was really good, the 2/3 falls one was overlong and booked weirdly, and the third felt played out.

11 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

the 2/3 falls one was overlong and booked weirdly

Flair feels like the first one wasn't long enough. I would have chopped 5 minutes off of Hayes/Assassin and 5 off of Sting/Reed and given it to Flair/Steamboat. But it feels like WCW shows had a consistent theme down to the squashes where the first hour squashes would be a few minutes too long and all the second hour squashes had to wrap in 3 minutes or else

There's not really a logical reason for Michael Hayes/Russian Assassin to be longer than Luger/Windham or Roadies/Varsity Club.

So I suspect Flair might have been trying to make up for Chi-Town Rumble with a Clash card where only 2 other matches went past 10 minutes so that Flair/Steamboat could go 55 minutes.

13 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There is technically a fourth one IIRC. 

in 1989? yeah there were a few house show matches but a fourth one that was on film?

then in 1993, you had stuff like Flair/Steamboat going 45 minutes in Fayetteville, North Carolina on a house show because I guess Ric Flair was trying to build up his conditioning.

Then there were two Flair/Steamboat matches in 1994, one on Spring Stampede and then the rematch on Saturday Night.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robert S said:

On a quick glance - just from the couple of lines I have read so far about the case - it might be a completely different situation. His wife was 85, suffering from dementia and Haynes was taking care of her. In cases like this the likeliest scenario is that Haynes was overwhelmed with the situation, could not see any other way out resp. forward than murder-suicide (the stand-off with the cops might have been an attempt at suicide-by-cop) and in the end did not go through with the suicide. Still a very tragic situation, but not in the least comparable with the Benoit case. Trying to understand the Benoit case inevitably leads you to think about concussions, steroids, other drugs, friends dying left and right and yes also previous behavioural problems that pre-date a lot of other issues, the Haynes case on the surface does not require that, it seems rather simple and similar cases happen often enough that it is barely news-worthy (though, again, still tragic).

Of course, I could be completely off trying to read what happened why and the case might be very different.

That would be giving Billy Jack a whole lot of..I don’t want to say credit…but Billy Jack has done his share of steroids and other drugs. He’s also lost people too. I believe his stories about child abuse which isn’t the same as concussions but both things can royally fuck up a man’s brain. Even if he’s full of crap there it’s no question that there was always something wrong with his head for some reason. I could also see him coming up with the scheme he might have come up with yes, which is something Benoit also did.

Edited by BloodyChamp

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’ve never seen this show, only the 1 match that has always been talked about from this show. What bothered me the most about Starrcade 89 was the ref’s crap job at selling the finish to the Road Warriors/Steiners. That means I didn’t have a problem with the finish. I had a problem with the ref just counting and declaring a winner like it was no big deal, like that kind of thing happened all the time and it was on to next. But apparently WCW did alot of this that year??? Wtf

The other odd part about the Billy Jack story us that the woman was the mother of a friend of BJH who passed away and then soon after, BJH married her and she is like 15 years older than him. 

I can easily see BJH thinking it was a "mercy killing" if the woman had dementia and other issues.