DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

Injury bug with CM Punk, Seth Rollins and Kevin Owens reminds me of the cursed WrestleMania XXXII, one of the worst WrestleMania shows ever. Cesaro, Seth Rollins and John Cena were injured. Probably missing others.

Speaking of WrestleMania, the night one main event is up in the air. I thought for sure it was going to be Seth Rollins vs. CM Punk for the World Heavyweight Championship. Bayley deserves to go on last and truly main event a WrestleMania like her other Four Horsewomen but I'm not sure she will. The last time women headlined a night was Sasha Banks vs. Bianca Belair at WrestleMania XXXVII in 2021. I can see Seth Rollins vs. Gunther in a WWE World Heavyweight Championship/WWE Intercontinental Championship match. I can see Seth Rollins vs. Gunther vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Sami Zayn. Can WWE risk Rollins not ready in time? I think Gunther will defend the WWE Intercontinental Championship in a different match. Gunther vs. Sheamus or Gunther vs. Bron Breakker?

The Okada Sweepstakes has begun.   His contract with NJPW has expired. 

AEW has made "a substantial offer" and depending on who you ask, appears to be headed there. 

WWE is "actively negotiating with him" and depending on who you ask, appears to be headed there.  

04tr87rf4wfc1.jpeg?width=1170&format=pjp

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hey, NWA has submitted their bid as well. We can't count them out.

Offering a guaranteed NWA title reign and spot as touring bassist with Smashing Pumpkins.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Offering a guaranteed NWA title reign and spot as touring bassist with Smashing Pumpkins.

This joke could backfire on me and Mrs. Okada is actually a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan and influence him to make the craziest decision in wrestling history. 

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Hey, NWA has submitted their bid as well. We can't count them out.

I'll chip in what's in my purse to make this a reality for the sheer hilarity of it.

I have, let's see, $7 in cash, a half-filled repeat customer card for a local salad shop that I haven't been to since before the pandemic and I'm pretty sure is closed, snacks, various toiletries, and my spare glasses.

LET'S GET THIS DEAL DONE BABY!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I'll chip in what's in my purse to make this a reality for the sheer hilarity of it.

I have, let's see, $7 in cash, a half-filled repeat customer card for a local salad shop that I haven't been to since before the pandemic and I'm pretty sure is closed, snacks, various toiletries, and my spare glasses.

LET'S GET THIS DEAL DONE BABY!

That is EXACTLY what I was gonna go for. Let's see. I got this scratch off, a half-eaten candy bar, some Rolaids... a bus pass... no, I gotta keep the bus pass...

• Like 2

Man, this feels like the Louisville Sponsoring Group when Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali came out of the 1960 Olympics at age 18 or when Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs put heavy money on teenage prodigies Wilfred Benitez and Mike Tyson.

With that said, I contribute $20, a half package of Starbursts, and these Panera Bread coupons.

I don't like showcasing my wealth online like this, but I will go all in for the Rainmaker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Man, this feels like the Louisville Sponsoring Group when Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali came out of the 1960 Olympics at age 18 or when Bill Cayton and Jim Jacobs put heavy money on teenage prodigies Wilfred Benitez and Mike Tyson.

With that said, I contribute $20, a half package of Starbursts, and these Panera Bread coupons.

I don't like showcasing my wealth online like this, but I will go all in for the Rainmaker.

Unrelated, but today's Pablo Torre Finds Out is about Muhammad Ali's comedy album, and it's a great episode.

https://youtu.be/aCikLQxbHWM?si=JNRJcpVLxlX9iMH2

Related, I suspect those Panera coupons aren't for the lemonade that kills you. Hope, anyway.

• Like 1

Let's see what I can sway Okada to the NWA with: a partially used Shop Rite gift card; a partially used Panera gift card; a partially used Jersey Mike's gift card, a partially used Walgreens gift card, and $4 cash.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really hate Dave so much at times like this:

"If his goal is fame, then you go one way, if his goal is money, you go the other way. If his goal is to have the most good matches, you go the other way.

He's also holding water for Tony Kahn er, um, reporting that "AEW is offering more money." And WWE is proceeding from the idea "if he wants to come to WWE, he will."   

Which makes it sound like AEW is giving him a trillion dollar offer and WWE is offering him the vet minimum and a $10 credit for the Publix nearest to the PC. 

• Like 1

Wattsian level old school idea alert.

This idea will go in a few steps/parts

1) inn-ring promo, leading to an attack which also goes way over the line and damages the ring at the end of a show

2) in response to that, the edict comes down for "no in-ring promos for 30 days" to, at the very least prevent them from messing up the ring again if problems arise from a promo

3) so the promos move to entrance stage or ringside, you don't have to actually reduce the amount of promo time, just move it to different places

4) also, could some of that chaos spill into the ring, yeah sure

5) also, it's only 30 days so you have an out if you don't want to do it anymore. But after 30 days, you could just keep doing more stage/ringside promos and less "stand in the ring and talk" promos

so... it's Wattsian in the sense that nobody is really asking for it, but unlike what he did in 1992, there is at least a casus belli to make potentially unpopular changes

• Like 1

Just now, clintthecrippler said:

All of you joke about what you'll offer to contribute to the NWA procuring the services of Okada not factoring in that it is very likely that Billy is legit not paying THAT much more to whoever he hires as his new bassist.

I think all of us assume he already tried to get somebody to do it for college credit and the promise of a good reference.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He's also holding water for Tony Kahn er, um, reporting that "AEW is offering more money." And WWE is proceeding from the idea "if he wants to come to WWE, he will."   

Which makes it sound like AEW is giving him a trillion dollar offer and WWE is offering him the vet minimum and a $10 credit for the Publix nearest to the PC. 

I could see WWE offering less money since they really need him less.

But, yeah, Dave sounds like a very-online mid-90's teen wrestling fan.

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hasn't that been the case with certain foreign talents or people working in Japan though? Outside that Wrestle Kingdom in 2016 where it was multiple people at once, I don't remember them chasing big name Japanese talent fervently in an effort to sign them. It might change a little under the Levesque regime, but if the talent doesn't want to leave Japan or Mexico, you can't really force them. Keep in mind, we're how many years removed from the beginning of the Okada era in Japan and also several years removed from his series with Omega? If they're considering tread on the tires, then it's not unrealistic to believe there is smoke where there is fire.

6 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

3) so the promos move to entrance stage or ringside, you don't have to actually reduce the amount of promo time, just move it to different places

One of the things I always liked about WCW was how Mene Gene would do the interviews from the entranceway. It was a natural progression from the old Worldwide promos with David Crockett in front of the cardboard backdrop in front of the live crowd.

• Like 2

Dave sounds like he's saying "If he wants fame he'll go to WWE, if he wants money he'll go to AEW, if he wants to have good matches he'll live in my basement and let me book him as a freelancer PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LIVE IN MY BASEMENT OKADA"

• Haha 3

According to google, Kyle Petty is 6’2”, and he looks like one of them should be carrying him in a New World Order baby sling. I know it’s breaking news, wrestlers big, but damn. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

On Fridays that's enough for a chicken tendie sub, which would blow his mind through the top of his skull. That's not a bad offer.

No, he should go to AEW. But I always think everyone should go to AEW. Sue me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2