DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Now I wanna know who the Poor Man's Okada in Japan is. 

Kaito Kiyomiya.

1 hour ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I know this has come up a few times before, but what are some of the best acting performances by wrestlers, specifically in feature films? I'm hoping for some nice deep cuts along with the obligatory Andre, Piper, Funk praise.

I have two more, absolutely Oscar-worthy. If I can find the clips, I'll add them to this post. And to be fair to John Cena, Peacemaker was great and he was great in it.

1) "Looks like you lost your edge,lad!"

Spoiler

Seems to be some kind of server issue with YouTube right now, but the entire 2009 Kurt Angle starring vehicle Endgame is up on YouTube.I cannot recommend it enough for anyone who is a fan of wooden acting and atrocious dialogue. It MST 3000-worthy!

Edit: Here you go!

Spoiler

Edited by Gordi the former AEW fan
Here you go!
  • Like 3

Batista has been good in James Bond, Dune and Bladerunner. He’s really carved a nice career as a character actor. He’s also in the new Del Torro film The Boy and The Heron. Cena did good voice acting Ferdinand The Bull Austinnwas good in that hunting humans movie he did 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Nash might be close to the top of the obligatory praise, wouldn't he?

I still think his fight scene as the silent Russian goon in The Punisher is a hoot.

Rewatched a good chunk of that on TV again recently, matter of fact. The end of Howard Saint is like ten levels of ice-cold revenge, or nine if you wanna get Dante with it, which ironically ends with fire and an explosion. And goddamn... Laura Harring. Oofta.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Log said:

Batista is really great in A Knock at the Cabin Door. Really, he’s great in everything he’s done, even if the movie isn’t. 

Kinda off topic but I didn't like the title change from the book. "Cabin at the End of the World" kinda grabs you, I think. I still need to watch the movie as I'd forgotten about it until your post. The book was.... okay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Presumably, Santo is a given for the list.

also, Savage on Space Ghost Coast to Coast,

You dare forget his turn as Bonesaw in Spider-Man?

Batista was also good in Glass Onion and fun as Drax in the MCU. 

James

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I still think his fight scene as the silent Russian goon in The Punisher is a hoot.

Nash got shoot stabbed making that movie. The prop guy who was supposed to swap out the real knife for the trick knife with the retractable blade didn't do his job, so Thomas Jane stuck a real knife into him, all the way up to the handle. And Nash no-sold it, of course.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Kinda off topic but I didn't like the title change from the book. "Cabin at the End of the World" kinda grabs you, I think. I still need to watch the movie as I'd forgotten about it until your post. The book was.... okay. 

The movie is a good idea that doesn’t quite deliver. Batista is really good though. He sort of plays against type and really nails it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zendragon said:

Batista has been good in James Bond, Dune and Bladerunner. He’s really carved a nice career as a character actor. He’s also in the new Del Torro film The Boy and The Heron. Cena did good voice acting Ferdinand The Bull Austinnwas good in that hunting humans movie he did 

The Boy and The Heron is a Miyazaki film, I think the only connection to Guillermo Del Toro is that Del Toro introduced the movie at the Toronto International Film Festival. (or am I missing a joke here?)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Savage on Space Ghost Coast to Coast

That's still probably the funniest thing Adult Swim ever did, up there with Dr. Steve For Your Wiiiiine, the Tim and Eric Sports episode, Hand Banana and the Japanese speaking alien, the Ballocaust, the Squidbillies Christmas special, and pretty much all of Superjail. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's still probably the funniest thing Adult Swim ever did, up there with Dr. Steve For Your Wiiiiine, the Tim and Eric Sports episode, Hand Banana and the Japanese speaking alien, the Ballocaust, the Squidbillies Christmas special, and pretty much all of Superjail. 

Space Ghost CtC and the Brak Show are still two of my favorite things ever. 

Put those, the first season of the Boondocks, and Black Jesus on a cable channel and I'll watch them on repeat to eternity. 

• Like 1

Oh man, the Kurt Angle starring vehicle END GAME. I dont know what is more uncomfortable:

1. The simulated rough sex scene that starts the movie where Kurt Angle seems to be channeling what he was suggesting he wanted to do to Sharmell.

2. The scene where Kurt Angle dresses up as a clown for the purpose of kidnapping a special needs child and punches that woman's mother in the face while dressed as the clown.

3. The scene where Kurt Angle assaults a woman while wearing a TNA Bound For Glory t-shirt.

What a compellingly terrible piece of movie sleaze.

And happy to see the Superjail shout out from CurtMcGirt above. What a beautifully violent spectacle of a show. A fun one to wake up to in the middle of an episode after falling asleep during the Family Guy and King of the Hill reruns that would start the Adult Swim block at that time. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

I know this has come up a few times before, but what are some of the best acting performances by wrestlers, specifically in feature films? I'm hoping for some nice deep cuts along with the obligatory Andre, Piper, Funk praise.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-02-at-9.50.16-PM.png

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I never expected John Cena to be a talented comic actor but he’s incredibly funny.

He's got pretty terrific comedic timing and an ability to deadpan stuff that a lot of people would have trouble getting through without corpsing, so that helps a whole lot!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

The scene where Kurt Angle dresses up as a clown for the purpose of kidnapping a special needs child and punches that woman's mother in the face while dressed as the clown.

Thanks for making me laugh coke through my nose in a steakhouse

also, this is from @Matt D on Segunda Caida today in regards to Wild Red Berry:

He reminds me, more than anything else, of Jonathan Harris in Lost in Space

A Dr. Smith homage gimmick in wrestling feels like it would both be amusing to a few people and also impossible to coherently pull off. Like would he be sabotaging his allies consistently

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I still fall asleep with Adult Swim playing on the TV. This thing called The Bob Ross Channel just showed up though and that has taken some airtime away. 

Show I miss most that never gets replayed: Drinky Crow (the Maakies comic strip one). At least the legitimately awesome China, IL shows up once in a blue moon. Goddamn Hogan... (he was still one of the funniest parts of the show though)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JLowe said:

I never expected John Cena to be a talented comic actor but he’s incredibly funny.

I didn't either but at the same time I'm not shocked? I mean he delivered years of awful promos with the most sincerity for years so once he got some decent writing it makes sense he would look better?

• Like 3