DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 11/1 - 11/7/2023 - To Beat The Devil

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

The only wrestling he looks like he should be doing is in a video game.

hopefully his knees can handle standing on the apron for most of the match, occasionally swinging at heels in the ring, and maybe 1 or 2 tag-ins.. sorta like the "Andre the Giant is working in Japan in 1992" formula

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Lil Man's on the money, but let me say this: if Jericho ever starts using their new song 'Spotlight' as walkout music, you guys are gonna really miss Judas - I respect the attempt, but that thing made Judas sound like Stairway to Heaven or something. Have a great time!!

It sounds like what would happen if current-day Paul Stanley was fronting Godsmack.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I love OC and Claudio and really dug the match for the most part but getting a little burnt out on "heel controls most of it then the face hits one or two killshots," guess I'm still annoyed at Seth/Nakamura LMS from a few weeks ago. When OC lost his title I was hoping it would let him explore other avenues like building himself back up, maybe Best Friends chasing the trios titles, or maybe building himself up to face MJF. Him getting back the title never felt right and I'm hoping he doesn't drop it to Mox for a rewind of what should have been Mox's run? I guess OC gets his win back at Full Gear.

Loving the locker room not having MJF's back in this for totally valid reasons. When he said he had one group left I was REALLY hoping it was gonna be House of Black and he was going to have to go into their spooky red room. The Planet Jarrett reveal was fun though.

I noticed Willow's eye looked normal tonight which I think was the first time since she got misted. I like how there's a little ambiguity now of Skye not being with Julia now but also not with Willow again either. Hoping this storyline is a showcase since all 3 of them seem to have really good upside. The Julia Hart Glow Up has been really fun to watch this year.

That post main drama with Billy getting in MJF's face "AFTER EVERYTHING HE'S DONE FOR YOU" was -chef's kiss-. I really hate reading about how AEW's ratings are down when this is the most entertaining the overall show has been in a while. Little long term touches still having an effect. Jericho rightly not wanting to give MJF the time of day, Wardlow and Max's history, Jeri-show of all things.

Also, Shida shit-canning Toni Storma Desmond tonight was pretty great.

• Like 7

I really wondered for a second if the Jackson’s were gonna get to book themselves to go over 2 on 3 vs. three of the scariest looking dudes I’ve ever seen. Seems there is a modicum of Justice in this world…

• Haha 4

I'm not able to watch live like I used to - live reports made it seem like this episode was business as usual.

But then I look a little closer and certain sites - i.e. cagematch - say this was the single worst televised episode of AEW of all time? Am I missing something?

I thought this was the best episode in a minute. I have more thoughts I'll share tomorrow, but I really loved Hangman going after Swerve and the pull apart in the back - it really sold the whole the fact that home invasions always trump titles - I say that jokingly, but Hangman brought the required intensity big. And shout out to Matt Jackson for a nice little foreshadowing Easter egg with beating the ring post with the chair ala Jericho's initial heel turn in WCW - it set up the interruption later during Jericho/Kenny's promo with Renee really nicely.

And despite a bunch of good promos, and a hilarious Wipeout ad read by the commentary team, I think we can all agree Billy Gunn had the line of the night.

Edit: @John E. Dynamiteb I didn't think it was bad at all, I thought the 'worst' match was pretty inoffensive save for one egregious spot that took forever to set up - im inclined to say it's brigading by bad actors

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

I'm not able to watch live like I used to - live reports made it seem like this episode was business as usual.

But then I look a little closer and certain sites - i.e. cagematch - say this was the single worst televised episode of AEW of all time? Am I missing something?

I thought this was a pretty decent episode. It really did a great job of advancing feuds. Match wise wasn’t their best, outside of the awesome Claudio-OC, but every match felt like it meant something. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Softening consumer confidence among the couple hundred people participating on Cagematch? Sounds purely vibes based.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Orange/Claudio was awesome, loved the finishing counter. 

Surprised the Embassy just won the trios titles back just like that. Thought for sure the Elite would hold them until at least Final Battle, their reign felt kind of pointless in retrospect since they never did any ROH shows.  

Great commentary banter when Callis was out there for the tag. Instinctively, one of my first thoughts was worrying that Paul Wight would turn heel when the match comes around, but I hope not. 

Thought Shida/Willow was very solid. Loved the swerve with Skye not turning. 

Cole telling Roderick "I can hear you, you don't have to yell dude" is always great. 

Fun main event and post-match. "You fucking scissor him NOW!" Happy 60th Birthday Billy Gunn!

• Like 6

Tony Khan hit an all-time low by making the ticket pre-sale date for All In 2024 as a big announcement tonight. Hyping that up like that was ridiculous and embarrassing. You don't advertise garbage like that ahead of time. You have the announcers mention it during the broadcast. You can even air a short promo, but hyping it up the way they did was utter nonsense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

are Wembleymania 2 tickets a better stocking stuffer than scratchers lotto tickets?

for the criticism AEW gets for promoting ticket sales, I guess they haven't found the right shower water temperature for promoting the idea of buying tickets to AEW shows

Also, for how ticket sales were going for this show, it was shot and lighted in a way where if you didn't how what percentage of the arena was filled, you wouldn't really notice it by looking at the crowd

• Like 1

Timeless Toni gave Tony S an orange. While eating it, he got some juice in his eye...

It... STIIIIIIIIINGS!

Hey, Tony S, what is that thing Darby Allin is wearing around his neck to support his injured shoulder?

It's (a)... SSSSLLLLLLIIIIIINNNNNGGGG!

Hey Tony S, what sound does your penis make when you see Britt Baker?

It's...

giphy.gif

I have zero notes about the actual wrestling.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

Timeless Toni gave Tony S an orange. While eating it, he got some juice in his eye...

It... STIIIIIIIIINGS!

Hey, Tony S, what is that thing Darby Allin is wearing around his neck to support his injured shoulder?

It's (a)... SSSSLLLLLLIIIIIINNNNNGGGG!

Hey Tony S, what sound does your penis make when you see Britt Baker?

It's...

giphy.gif

I have zero notes about the actual wrestling.

DAMMIT, GORDLOW!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Wardlow jacked MJF up against the wall and said he took everything from him I was half expecting MJF to respond with "I don't even know who you are".

The main event played out well enough but everything The Acclaimed have been doing the past few weeks has been ridiculously cringe. They started as a successful but comedic mid-card team and tried really hard to get over as a serious in-ring threat, but since dropping the titles and aligning with Billy they've just gotten especially silly. Max being a simp for MJF has been particularly lame. I get their scissoring bit is over but so much of their recent schtick is borderline 90s DX stuff.

Speaking of attitude era nonsense, I don't know who thought it would be a good idea to have Big Show attempt to wrestle again. I guess if they want to rehash the idea of him being Andre's son then going full circle and having him stand on the apron while being basically immobile makes sense.

Interesting to see where they Skye Blue angle goes. It's almost like the black mist corrupted her, but did not turn her into a HOB follower like it did with Julia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Tony Khan hit an all-time low by making the ticket pre-sale date for All In 2024 as a big announcement tonight. Hyping that up like that was ridiculous and embarrassing. You don't advertise garbage like that ahead of time. You have the announcers mention it during the broadcast. You can even air a short promo, but hyping it up the way they did was utter nonsense.

I'm gonna start asking for a paycheck one of these days

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thoughts about what I caught from this episode:

Kyle Fletcher looks like the Merovingian now

Will Hobbs yelled "I hate giants!"

Jay White needs to cheat more and for some reason the first person I thought of as a comparison was Super Delfin

I liked the main event

• Like 2

Had All-In 2024 actually been announced already? I thought that was the big announcement.

I saw someone on Facebook said that with Edge and Wight AEW is starting to feel really old and I don't disagree.

• Like 2

I made it to the Willow/Shida match, having skipped the 6 man for everyone's sake. 

Overall, I liked the MJF story beats running through the show. I jumped ahead to see the Jarrett reveal, which was great. I am on board with MJF vs Wardlow at World's End too because that feels like a sufficiently big match for Long Island. 

I liked Cassidy vs Claudio and depending on whether or not Eddie or Darby wrestle on Saturday, may have to write about it on Monday. (EDIT: Athena vs Mercedes is showing tonight actually). I think my premise will be how it balanced the line between featuring cutesy strength spots that were done for the sake of sensation and having it still somehow feel organic, which (and you can sub strength spots out for a lot of things) is OC's overall MO. I'm hoping they do a gimmick on Cassidy vs Mox 2 because it's very much a match that is not supposed to exist and it feels that way. Mox threatening to be EVEN MORE VIOLENT isn't a hook. The "Can Cassidy somehow survive?" question feels moot since the answer is No, obviously not. He couldn't before and nothing's changed. And we all know how badly TK wants to get back to his booking spreadsheet. I'd make the thing a cage match. With escape rules. 

I also liked the Jets vs 2.0 match. Simple and straightforward but with some smart spots. 2.0 are very good at their job even if their job may not seem as complex as most people's in the company. We're getting Garcia vs Trent on Rampage which hopefully means a little bit of progression there. Wight coming in as an attraction for one show in Winnipeg seems fine to me. I'm sorry the guy can't go more or harder. I know this isn't how he expected to spend the last year or two. I think he's going to go out of his way to help Hobbs get over. Poor Fletcher is now the guy in the faction who runs into a punch while everyone else leaves.

Adam Copeland was sure out of breath, huh?

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm gonna start asking for a paycheck one of these days

I asked for Samoa Joe vs. Minoru Suzuki and less than 24 hours later it was announced.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Had All-In 2024 actually been announced already? I thought that was the big announcement.

I saw someone on Facebook said that with Edge and Wight AEW is starting to feel really old and I don't disagree.

Yes. As AEW All In 2023 was ending, it was announced and there were on screen graphics.

Second point, aging in dog years ;).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I thought Claudio/OC was beautifully laid out.  Claudio did some nice subtle (by wrestling standards) acting to sell his anger turning to frustration.  OC's hope spots and Claudio's cutoffs were all timed really well.  The sequence with the deadlift beach break to Claudio doing the OC roll out of the ring while Cassidy desperately tries to keep him in was a work of art and the very best kind of mirroring.  And the finish with Claudio putting a little too much mustard on the powerbomb lift which gave OC the space to counter into the rana was a brilliant bit of business.  I think my one knock is that you didn't need the Hook/Yuta stuff in the middle.  Agree with Matt that Mox/OC two needs some kind of a stipulation.

I popped pretty good for the blue mist, even if she mostly missed Julia's face.

• Like 5