DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 7/5 - 7/11/2023

I alternated between mild dislike and total lack of interest for this one.

Opener was a lesser version of last week, Bucks are very tiresome at this point. I think @SprintingFromAmericanailed the booking problems with this feud pretty well. The ostensible faces really have been the heels but will never be accepted as heels, while the ostensible heels have a legitimate grievance while also having spent 2 years as comedy JTTS. Then, rather than having Dark Order lay the boots in after the Claudio interference, they just leave AND walk right by Kenny Omega’s run-in.

I paused for a second during my QTV fast-forward to see the Bowens cover. That is a handsome man.

Second match had similar face-heel issues. One team is a clear heel who is getting pops in Canada, and a clear babyface. The other is a conflicted heel and a conflicted tweener. Match was just there, and I’m going to have a hard time caring about Triple Jay vs. Matt and Zay.

I guess I should go back and watch the Shida-Shafir match rather then browsing Bluesky since Curt said it was rough and Shida getting pissed.

Brian Cage is like someone having a D&D character where they used all their character points on strength and dexterity. I just can’t care no matter how I try. In general, this was a totally random tag draw that made no sense and led to a mostly nothing match with no stakes.

28 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Brian Cage is like someone having a D&D character where they used all their character points on strength and dexterity. I just can’t care no matter how I try.

BOY DO I HAVE AN INTERVIEW FOR YOU

Brian Cage On Feeling Underappreciated By AEW Fans, Why That’s The Case

“With our core audience at AEW, I feel they almost hate on me because of all those attributes [size, charisma, mic work, athleticism], I almost feel like that screams WWE. In some regards, it’s almost like anti-me, ‘He doesn’t belong here. He’s too jacked, he does this,’ which are all positives in my book, but it feels like ‘I’m on the wrong team.'”

He continued, “I can toot my own horn and say, they can’t be me, so they’d rather attach on to a Darby Allin or someone they can live more viciously through as opposed to someone like me.”

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

BOY DO I HAVE AN INTERVIEW FOR YOU

Brian Cage On Feeling Underappreciated By AEW Fans, Why That’s The Case

“With our core audience at AEW, I feel they almost hate on me because of all those attributes [size, charisma, mic work, athleticism], I almost feel like that screams WWE. In some regards, it’s almost like anti-me, ‘He doesn’t belong here. He’s too jacked, he does this,’ which are all positives in my book, but it feels like ‘I’m on the wrong team.'”

He continued, “I can toot my own horn and say, they can’t be me, so they’d rather attach on to a Darby Allin or someone they can live more viciously through as opposed to someone like me.”

I saw references to that on the Twitter which helped prompt my thoughts on him. Not sure how he thinks he has charisma or mic work over someone like Darby Allin, but he does have a point that AEW fans do seem to prefer their wrestlers to be relatable. 

• Like 1

Ironic because Cage looked fuckin great last night along with Big Bill. I could definitely enjoy more Sydal vs Cage. 

Shida perpetually getting less credit than she's deserved with having Shafir's best match on regular AEW television. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Ironic because Cage looked fuckin great last night along with Big Bill. I could definitely enjoy more Sydal vs Cage. 

Shida perpetually getting less credit than she's deserved with having Shafir's best match on regular AEW television. 

Did you see Athena/Shafir (Dark, 10th January 2023)? That gets my vote for best Shafir's match.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Did you see Athena/Shafir (Dark, 10th January 2023)? That gets my vote for best Shafir's match.

That's precisely why I qualified it with "regular" TV because I know Marina has had better matches but not on TBS or TNT 😁

Plus if you have a bad match with Athena, you should just quit the biz. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JLowe said:

Curt said it was rough and Shida getting pissed.

I mean, you get somebody's bare foot kicked in your face and getting Judo-thrown into the mat, you're not gonna be happy either. And no I didn't see the Athena match but that has to be the dope shit. 

Your arguments are fair. It was a highspot-happy card and the DO match was botchy. I'm just happy to be watching wrestling and rambling about it on the Discord. 

EDIT: And hey! Anyone is welcome to join us: • Discord | #any-wrestling | DxVxD Discord

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again: PUSH BIG BILL.

Dude looks like a stud. Simple but effective move-set which mashes well with 90% of the roster. Needs a bit more character work though, now he is just a tall big dude. 
I honestly think he is one of the few ex-WWE superstars who is truly better in AEW. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Of all the AEW this week, so far, I probably enjoyed Big Bill/Cage vs Trent/Sydal. It was basically a squash with the occasional hope spot, then built to a 'do they have a chance small guys vs big guys'-match back into a big squash ending and a very hot crowd.

The plates in the workout sketch were pretty clearly fake. They were bouncing around on the bar almost as if they were inflatable.

Sydal/Trent vs. Bill/Cage was incredible. Great showing for Sydal.

1 hour ago, Dirty J. said:

I’ll say it once and I’ll say it again: PUSH BIG BILL.

Dude looks like a stud. Simple but effective move-set which mashes well with 90% of the roster. Needs a bit more character work though, now he is just a tall big dude. 
I honestly think he is one of the few ex-WWE superstars who is truly better in AEW. 

Character is fine Just a Big Ole Sum Bitch named Bill!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Dog said:

The plates in the workout sketch were pretty clearly fake. They were bouncing around on the bar almost as if they were inflatable.

Sydal/Trent vs. Bill/Cage was incredible. Great showing for Sydal.

Plates were legit. They moved around because they didn’t have clips on the end. 

I can buy MJF repping that weight. He’s a pretty jacked guy. They obviously had people on each side moving the weight for Cole. That’s why they framed the shot like they did. I think they’re directing jokes right at Just Drew now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I mean, you get somebody's bare foot kicked in your face and getting Judo-thrown into the mat, you're not gonna be happy either. And no I didn't see the Athena match but that has to be the dope shit. 

Your arguments are fair. It was a highspot-happy card and the DO match was botchy. I'm just happy to be watching wrestling and rambling about it on the Discord. 

EDIT: And hey! Anyone is welcome to join us: • Discord | #any-wrestling | DxVxD Discord

I guess Shafir is legit enough that no one is going to outright shoot on her, but I’m surprised some other wrestlers haven’t lit her up more for the number of stiff shots and rough throws she does.

• Like 2

Added to the Kevin Kelly is terrible at his job file:

"Stick your sorrys in a sack, QT!"

and his tone deaf thanking Andrade for speaking slowly and clearly so people can understand him

Outside of that, awesome fucking show. Give the Bang Bang Gang the belts

• Like 5

Just now, elizium said:

Added to the Kevin Kelly is terrible at his job file:

"Stick your sorrys in a sack, QT!"

and his tone deaf thanking Andrade for speaking slowly and clearly so people can understand him

Outside of that, awesome fucking show. Give the Bang Bang Gang the belts

I marked out for the Seinfeld reference. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Speaking of bad commentary - did Nigel not say that Scorpio Sky was the only one to hold both the TNT title and the AEW tag titles? This is dinosaur erasure and I, for one, will not stand for it.

Interesting that Starks declined to 1) save Punk, instead FTR did and 2) turned his back on CMFTR with a solemn look on his face. Everyone wants to fantasy book Punk turning heel on Starks after losing, but it might be more likely that Ricky does after losing. With Hobbs just turning tonight seemingly, maybe it’s time again. Heel Starks vs Face Punk wouldn’t be a bad little program, IMO.

Plus if Ricky wins, it kind of flies in the face of Punk’s return promo where he said nobody deserves the World title until someone pins or submits him. That story isn’t anywhere close to done, and will probably be used to put over MJF.

• Like 1

A lot of times, when a match is going long, they spend the opening minutes wrestling in a style that really lets you know that they're going long. FTR vs BCG went 28 minutes, and for the first five, they wrestled like it was going to be a ten minute match.

Looking at the card ahead of time, with Willow dropped off the card, it looked like a one-match show. And as it turned out, that one match (which was really, really good) wasn't the best match on there. Juice Robinson and Jay White are actually both really good wrestlers once you get all of the goofy shit out of the way.

• Like 8