DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 2/4/22

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i agree that an entrance with music mid-match is stupid and should go away. HOWEVER, i feel like it works for Andrade to A) demand that his music play, and B) for him to not be concerned that a match is going on and that he will do what he wants, when he wants. 

I agree, but in this scenario I'd like to see a split screen cut to the back to see said demands being made.   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

the closed captioning called it an "Emerald Lotion"

The emerald lotion is the thing that Misawa used to place in the emerald basket

12 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

We need a swerve, we need a gross overfulfillment of the standard tease. I wish Tony would act like an actual insane billionaire and book one stupid-as-fuck FiteTV PPV a year. Okada gets his wins back against Kaz, Daniels, and Lethal in a gauntlet. Tully Blanchard vs. Magnum TA both get handed tasers and have a god-honest 10 pace duel. Anyone who is still alive, any bad idea, obscene paychecks. Bryan Danielson vs. Volk Han 2/3 Falls Lighttube Tables.

And in insane billionaire style, this card needs to be held on a secluded island

3 hours ago, (BP) said:

If Shane had to do a ladder match in his current state I’d be concerned about how many bumps he would take. I guess he could also get hurt when the match starts too. 

Seeing Shane's insane perspiration and red face, he takes more bumps before the match than during.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I enjoyed the show but really liked that Main Event. I like the idea of the FTW Championship being defended as if it is an Official Championship. And with the depth AEW has with its male roster another championship even if not officially recognized isn’t a bad thing.

17 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Lethal vs. Starks was good. Not sure what Lethal's future is in AEW. He's a good worker and all, but it looks like they brought him in to just be a veteran enhancement talent.

I wonder if all these cruiserweight guys coming in recently is for the Owen?

With Wardlow getting over with the PowerBomb Symphony they could be doing something similar with Hobbs

• Like 1

I absolutely loved the show and man did it fly by.  This is also the first time seeing Lethal in AEW as I tend to avoid his stuff (not going to say why though you can probably figure it out)  But while he was fine I though Ricky was aces in the match.  And the counter at the end was a legitimate "Holy shit!" moment for sure.  Kind of surprised nobody has done that yet in all the times Lethal stuck with that move.

• Like 3

Quick thoughts

Uno vs Cole: These two have a much more interesting match in them, but Cole really needed to get some heat back after a loss and a very definitive win with his finish hit on the first try meant a lot (that's rare in any AEW match) and the promo listing the names afterwards was good, even if he mentioned Kaun which must have led to some headscratching in the crowd.

Kassidy vs Sammy: Very spot heavy as expected but not long enough to wear out its welcome, with some solid transitions/counters. Plus it was a show with a lot of variety so having a match like this worked. I liked Kassidy's screwing around during the break and Andrade and Hardy reacting out there was interesting. Good to see Kassidy get a few singles matches like this as Bowens does, even just to get the experience and exposure.

Mercedes vs Rosa: I liked how they went right to it from the start. Obviously this was going to be more of a tease for things to come. The DQ really stood out as it was so unusual and you got the sense that Mercedes was just doing business and it was far more personal with Rosa.

Lethal vs Starks: Great finish, of course. Starks was a lot of fun during the break screwing with people's phones. It felt like a real title match, which is probably more than the FTW belt deserves. This was the best Starks has looked since I've started watching and they should keep lining guys up for him like they do Sammy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The backstage segment with Martinez, Britt, and Hayter was like 90 seconds long but so effective. It hinted at/progressed towards three matches. Martinez vs. Hayter, Hayter vs. Britt, and the final goal of Rosa vs. Britt. That Baker is so terrified of and petty towards Thunder Rosa is really good heeling and long-term groundwork laying for Rosa finally dethroning her (we thinking Double or Nothing or All Out?). 

If Hayter weren't just Britt's heater and got more singles wins like Wardlow, you could really push that she could be the next champ but there's too much unfinished business between Rosa and Baker for it to go any other way. My guess is DoN is Hayter after Baker dumps her for Martinez or Hayter has enough of Britt's shit, then Rosa beats Baker at All Out. 

• Like 7

Shorter matches than usual this week, especially for Adam Cole. Thunder/Mercedes was good while it lasted. The DQ definitely stands out more when so rare. Like everyone else, absolutely loved Starks' finish. That ruled, great victory for him. I'm down for more FTW defenses like this. 

edit: Forgot to mention but the Leyla Hirsch backstage assault was awesome. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

Quick thoughts

Uno vs Cole: These two have a much more interesting match in them, but Cole really needed to get some heat back after a loss and a very definitive win with his finish hit on the first try meant a lot (that's rare in any AEW match) and the promo listing the names afterwards was good, even if he mentioned Kaun which must have led to some headscratching in the crowd.

Kassidy vs Sammy: Very spot heavy as expected but not long enough to wear out its welcome, with some solid transitions/counters. Plus it was a show with a lot of variety so having a match like this worked. I liked Kassidy's screwing around during the break and Andrade and Hardy reacting out there was interesting. Good to see Kassidy get a few singles matches like this as Bowens does, even just to get the experience and exposure.

Mercedes vs Rosa: I liked how they went right to it from the start. Obviously this was going to be more of a tease for things to come. The DQ really stood out as it was so unusual and you got the sense that Mercedes was just doing business and it was far more personal with Rosa.

Lethal vs Starks: Great finish, of course. Starks was a lot of fun during the break screwing with people's phones. It felt like a real title match, which is probably more than the FTW belt deserves. This was the best Starks has looked since I've started watching and they should keep lining guys up for him like they do Sammy.

Yeah, that Adam Cole promo was interesting.  Well executed as always, but the list of the fallen might not make a case for a title shot so much as the record (without the details).  I like that AEW has aimed to make win/loss records mean something, but taking an unrecorded loss to Orange still  feels like a loss, and makes me want Cole to get that one back before challenging for a title.  Moreso if it's the PPV match tho.  

I wish I'd felt the same as you on the Martinez DQ.  That makes sense.  I hope the majority feels that way too.  The promo that followed was a nice touch, and indeed hit on some points, but wasn't without a wee pacing issue and a verbal exchange that felt a bit like low quality sports entertainment.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I would really like to see Keith Lee in Team Taz. They’ve kinda lost something since they spun-off Hook into his own thing. Also I really liked the dynamic they had with Cage, and Team Taz being uneasy bed fellows. Trying to re-create that for a lot longer, and keeping Lee busy until they are ready to put him in a singles program would be ideal.

I just wanted to chime in to say what I really liked about Starks v. Lethal was how good Lethal looked in defeat. It felt like a battle that could've easily gone either way and Starks pulled out something big to get the win. Both wrestlers reminded the audience of who they were. 

• Like 1