DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 2/4/22

Adam Cole vs. Evil Uno

I'm curious what percentage of posters here will be surprised when Uno is really good in this one. I think, for me, the Danielson match in November was the point where I finally started expecting him to be good every time out. It'll be interesting to compare that match with this one. 

Mercedes Martinez vs. Thunder Rosa

Oh hell yeah! Hope I haven't set my expectations too high for this one. I remember once going to eat tonkotsu ramen in Fukuoka, the city that made tonkotsu famous (or maybe it's vice versa) and it was really very good and I was disappointed because I had been hoping for greatness. I kinda little bit felt that way after the Death Triangle vs PAC and PEZM match on Dynamite. 

Oh well, my expectations are sky high again. 

FTW Championship Match: Ricky Starks (c) vs. Jay Lethal

TNT Championship Match: Sammy Guevara (c) vs. Isiah Kassidy

It will be interesting to see where they slot these two handsome young champions. Which one will main event? (I'm guessing the TNT title match).

Which one will be more exciting to watch? Out of the two handsome young champions, I've generally been more impressed by Sammy than by Ricky (which is not to say that Ricky isn't hugely entertaining, just that Sammy has so far been even more so in my opinion). But I think Lethal has been more impressive so far in AEW than Kassidy (understandably so, given his massive edge in experience).

These both oughta be fun. This whole show oughta be fun.

It's a good time to be a fan of professional wrestling.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

This might be sacrilege to say, but I think this is the most fun I've EVER had as a professional wrestling fan.  I went to ECW shows at the arena, saw the beginning of CZW and ROH in the early 2000's live and have been to a bunch of live WWE events.  I don't know if it's because for so so so long we just had the WWE monopoly, but this is an absolute blast to see the resurgence of wrestling and wrestling fandom.  You could feasibly watch AEW 4 nights of the week, smackdown/raw, NXT 2.0(im still not all out on it) and it's just an absolute overflow of stimulus.  

I do need to get myself more into Impact.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, zendragon said:

15 year old me would have loved all this free wrestling

15 year old me would have been distracted by YouTube shoot interview and failed to watch enough Akira Taue and Yumiko Hotta on VHS. This other 15 year old me is a fool who's non-existence I cherish.

• Like 2

That was a total sprint of an episode up until the main, where everything suddenly got really chippy and stiff and mean and ouch. The reversal at the end was the only response to that stupid fucking move. Even the extended front facelock was great! Ricky Starks made me like a Jay Lethal match so he's got to be top three in AEW now. 

Mercedes/Thunder Rosa was my expected favorite on this but no dice. At least Mercedes learned from the classic Meiko match and did an avalanche DVD; meanwhile Rosa did some kind of correction on what was to be a Thunder Fire and the closed captioning called it an "Emerald Lotion" haha. Leave the lead pipes over in New York and let Mercedes just use knucks next time.

• Like 6

You know I thought this was a really solid show tonight. They packed in a lot of action into just one hour. Good storyline advancement with Mercedes Martinez and Thunder Rosa as well. You seeded in that Britt Baker hired Martinez to take out Thunder Rosa, as well as Jamie Hayter eventually turning on Baker. That said, not sure how smart it was for Baker to just casually reveal she put out a bounty on Rosa that Martinez collected.

Lethal vs. Starks was good. Not sure what Lethal's future is in AEW. He's a good worker and all, but it looks like they brought him in to just be a veteran enhancement talent. That aside, this was a great match. Starks is a great act. The dude has all the tools. His facials are fantastic. Letha's dive was smooth as butter. Loved Starks swinging around the ring pole into a clothesline on the outside. Finish looked fantastic.

Pacing on this show was topnotch too. Felt different from Dynamite. This show really worked for me.

I hope Hobbs gets the push at some point. Dude's got the look and he plays off of Starks well. I just feel like he needs a couple of those key matches and wins.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 4

Lots of fun, great backstage stuff, lots of angle advancements. Very effective television.

Rosa was kicking the shit out of Mercedes, a little shocking, and the pipe came out of nowhere. I’d say they’re building Rosa to finally take the belt from DMD, but it’ll be a while.

Adam Cole serious asskicker doesn’t really work for me, but advances the eventual Elite-Undisputed feud.

I think Jade Cargill gave some youngsters their first funny feelings tonight.

Layla laid some legit chair shots onto Stat, or it sure sounded like it.

Both title matches were excellent. I was kind of hoping for Lethal to win just because of my dislike of Team Tazz and the whole FTW thing but if there are more matches like that I’m okay with Starks. That reversal was special, totally unexpected and so well executed. 

• Like 6

Man, Jay Lethal is so good.  He should have won and they could have made me give a fuck about the Fuck The World title.  Ricky Starks looked great and it's like he was looking in the mirror twenty years from now looking across the ring.  Isiah Kassidy looked great as Sammy Guevara contiues his string of great matches.   I like how they got Mercedes Martinez over as the Matsunaga- as I hope they amp up the crazy wrecklessness.  WOO-HOO, AEW!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

gonna start the rumor that this wrestler has the name Aldis. The wording of the tweet makes it possible it could be either gender. Has the term "forbidden door" been used for people who were free agents joining AEW? just asking since I actually don't know when that term was used for things involving people who weren't working Impact and AEW at the same time.

13 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

My man TK's track record on these ain't great. Y'all can go light Twitter on fire with Keith Lee or whatever, but I'll be over here hoping for the Monty Brown comeback

Who is Okada going to wrestle?

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

My man TK's track record on these ain't great. Y'all can go light Twitter on fire with Keith Lee or whatever, but I'll be over here hoping for the Monty Brown comeback

CHAOS Wins World Tag League as Ishii Helps YOSHI-HASHI, Goto Tokyo Dome |  NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING

Two dudes being dudes gonna break the door down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Surprises aren't surprises when you tell us a surprise is coming.

We need a swerve, we need a gross overfulfillment of the standard tease. I wish Tony would act like an actual insane billionaire and book one stupid-as-fuck FiteTV PPV a year. Okada gets his wins back against Kaz, Daniels, and Lethal in a gauntlet. Tully Blanchard vs. Magnum TA both get handed tasers and have a god-honest 10 pace duel. Anyone who is still alive, any bad idea, obscene paychecks. Bryan Danielson vs. Volk Han 2/3 Falls Lighttube Tables.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4