DVDVR Message Board

AEW - AUG 2021

The Natural

While everyone is fantasy booking I want them to start working with NOAH so Sugiura-gun can run roughshod over the whole promotion. Sugiura smashing Darby to a pulp, Kingston and Murakami having a mug-off, Miro and Fujita colliding, Kendo Ka Shin getting jobbed out to the Dark Order... it would be a blast! 

And of course I know you would all pee your pants for Kenou or Nakajima or Kiyomiya or even Shiozaki vs. Omega. 

• Like 2

It's a shame that Dustin is pretty hilarious in real life and can't manage to get that humor across on TV.

And make 2.0 a staple of every BTE. PLEASE. "That was...JEFF FARMER!" Sweet Expos snapback hat too.

FWIW, I still would rather see him exclusively work NJPW. I'm worried that he would just get lost in shuffle with everything else in AEW and everything that's to come, but TK has also been pretty diligent about rotating workers in and out throughout the year.

He just seems like someone that could go to NJPW and immediately start having classics with everyone.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

It's a shame that Dustin is pretty hilarious in real life and can't manage to get that humor across on TV.

And make 2.0 a staple of every BTE. PLEASE. "That was...JEFF FARMER!" Sweet Expos snapback hat too.

I love that Jeff Farmer became "Jumping" Jeff Farmer....which is next level hilarity ?

5 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Rampage will be streamed in Canada on TSN's website and on TSN Direct. Presumably will also be archived like Dynamite. 

Given Dynamite's pretty good viewership, I'm surprised they didn't make an effort to have it shown love on one of their 4 channels.

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Given Dynamite's pretty good viewership, I'm surprised they didn't make an effort to have it shown love on one of their 4 channels.

Five channels. Three of which obviously need to simultaneously air the same Argonauts game during Rampage's debut, thank you very much! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm from the U.S. but I stayed in Montreal for Canada Day a few years ago, and became oddly obsessed with watching TSN at the hotel and all the bars because I liked their CFL coverage. I'm sure the novelty would wear off pretty quickly watching at home, but it was a nice change of pace from ESPN and FS1

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Oh, man, the Hangman part at the end.  I'm trying not to exaggerate when saying this but this is one of the sweetest wrestling stories I've seen in the longest time.  While the long-term march to the title was the main story the commercial really encapsulated his path from DO hesitancy to fully embracing them.  He had to go on his own but that's one helluva "So long for now" message.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

FWIW, I still would rather see him exclusively work NJPW. I'm worried that he would just get lost in shuffle with everything else in AEW and everything that's to come, but TK has also been pretty diligent about rotating workers in and out throughout the year.

He just seems like someone that could go to NJPW and immediately start having classics with everyone.

He said in an interview that he’d recently bought a house has pets and his work visa expires at the end of his 90 days, so I doubt the risk of getting lost in the shuffle is a big of a concern as being able to secure his presence in the US.

Signing with AEW and being able to work with NJPW is probably the dream scenario for him.

Anyway, I’m a fan of these vignettes guys are doing on their own and hope wrestlers keep doing them. I can’t even imagine what someone like Bray Wyatt would do with complete creative freedom.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Oh, man, the Hangman part at the end.  I'm trying not to exaggerate when saying this but this is one of the sweetest wrestling stories I've seen in the longest time.  While the long-term march to the title was the main story the commercial really encapsulated his path from DO hesitancy to fully embracing them.  He had to go on his own but that's one helluva "So long for now" message.

It's a beautiful storyline man. I like how friendship, support and accepting failure is the main part of it. It also shows that you can have many layers, you can be the cool badass hero but also a real human being with emotions and silly friends. 

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

Hey, how is it going? 

I was thinking about AEW's tendency to introduce an act like Abadon and more importantly Jade Cargill, establish them by featuring them prominently, then rotate them out and let them train more. It has worked pretty damn well and definitely goes against the grain of traditional wrestling booking in the modern era. 

We now know who Jade is, have a sense of her goals, and a lot of us want more. Instead of waiting for her to be closer to the finished product before debuting her, Tony has put her out there without over exposing her and then pulls her back out of the spotlight as she likely continues to train. It's a nice way of introducing green talent, especially with somebody as special and camera ready as Cargill. If she proves she can handle more, you can easily keep going, if not you can do what they've done. She's established and he can keep her around with the pretapes so we don't forget her but most are left wanting more and that last part is a key to wrestling booking that's been foregone for much of the past in WWE with its gross over exposing of talent to the point nobody feels special. 

Conversely, Abadon beat their obvious pet project in Anna Jay, got some early momentum and was obviously not ready for the big time yet. She's been working her ass off to get into better shape and continues to work away on Dark/elevation getting her reps in. We know who she is and when it's time to reintroduce her the hard part is over with.

Much of this goes for the whole philosophy of rotating 95% of the roster in and out of TV. We are usually left wanting more. Acts like Moxley, Darby, Cody, Jericho, MJF, Hangmin, Britt, and the Elite get featured on every show. Most everybody else gets rotated in and out. With Rampage's introduction and roster expansion, we'll see even more of this as the above names won't be on every episode of every AEW tv show. The hardest part of this rotation system is the introduction followed by reintegration/galvanizing an act that lost a feud. I wish they would do more on TV with Shida post title loss, for instance. It's not perfect and there's obvious room for improvement. But when it's time for Shida to get involved in something meaningful, I have little doubt they'll get her back over again. I hope it's a heel turn because the fans kind of discarded her for Britt and her obsession with being champ in front of fans would be a really neat way of justifying her change. I was hoping she'd go heel to keep the belt and extend the chase but I totally get belting their hot act and surprised they haven't done it with Page. 

Okay, bai. 

• Like 10