Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION


Recommended Posts

Bravo got surprisingly good pushes back in the late 80's.  He never quite got pushed as a top guy but he was a mainstay in the upper midcard, got on tv regularly, and usually got booked fairly well in matches and feuds.  Not sure he should have been pushed over Rude, but....  

Perfect was new to the company.  He had short, unmemorable run in the early 80's, then came back and was put on tv two months before Survivor Series 1988.  IIRC, they were doing the Mr. Perfect vignettes by SS, but still billing him as Curt Hennig and he was still wearing the black shorts he wore in the AWA.  The singlets and Mr. Perfect persona really didn't get into swing until later.

Harley?  No... Just, no.  I like Harley but his WWF run is just sad to me.  I feel like he comes off like a dinosaur in late 80's WWE.  Slow, immobile, not a great promo.  His look and gravelly voice kinda underscored that the era was changing and guys like Harley weren't going to be tv-ideal.  He was in his early 40's when '86 when he joined the company but looked a decade older to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Jake as a team member as opposed to the team captain seems to be a better choice, as every team he just part-took in, instead of leading, actually won their match, even if/when Jake didn't survive('87, '89 and '96). When he was the captain, however his team took an absolute shit-kicking and he had to be there at the end of it, facing increasingly shitty odds ('88 and '90)!

Duggan seems to have similar trajectory, but I'm not quite sure whether or not he or Slaughter was the captain in '91, where their team kicked absolute ass on the heel team? Duggan was a bit untrustworthy member, because he was often swinging the 2x4 and getting disqualified!

Jake's "Captain's Curse" also struck the 1991 team he was scheduled to captain but suspended from at the last minute; after losing Boss Man early, Hawk & Animal ran the table against IRS & The Disasters.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Jake wasn't a good leader. When other captains would have their teams running drills and doing pushups, Jake had his team snorting coke.

No one on "The Vipers" needed their arm twisted to snort some coke, but I can see Jannetty and Snuka teasing Michaels for only doing two lines.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Eoae said:

 

Harley?  No... Just, no.  I like Harley but his WWF run is just sad to me.  I feel like he comes off like a dinosaur in late 80's WWE.  Slow, immobile, not a great promo.  His look and gravelly voice kinda underscored that the era was changing and guys like Harley weren't going to be tv-ideal.  He was in his early 40's when '86 when he joined the company but looked a decade older to me.

It's mind blowing that Harley was only 43 in 1986. He looked ancient.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hagan said:

Want to dig into the ECW supershows on the Network. What do people recommend? It's tricky because a lot of those shows were repurposed for Hardcore TV so a lot I've seen but never watched any of the full shows as is. I was thinking Double Tables and Tag Wars. 

"Gangstas Paradise", 9/19/95.

You have the double dog collar match with Raven/Stevie vs Pitbulls, Rey vs Psicosis in their debut and a fun 6 man cage match with Mikey/PE vs 2 Cold/Sandman/New Jack.

All in a row. 

You will not be disappointed.

This also might be the debut of Superstar Steve Austin. Somebody correct me here. 

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Bravo got surprisingly good pushes back in the late 80's.  He never quite got pushed as a top guy but he was a mainstay in the upper midcard, got on tv regularly, and usually got booked fairly well in matches and feuds.  Not sure he should have been pushed over Rude, but.... 

The one thing that bugged me about the Vice doc was that they made it seem like his WWF run was a waste or disappointment. They completely ignored his late 70s face push, which included a tag team championship. From 88-90 he was pretty solidly pushed as an upper midcarder with substantial feuds. Duggan in 88, The Hart Foundation (with Valentine) in 89, IC champ Warrior in 89, Hogan/Tugboat (with Earthquake) in 90. He ended his time as a jtts in 91/92 and I'm sure he wanted more, but I think he had a run that most anyone would be proud of. He was a surprisingly important player during a very profitable time. He was clearly someone that Vince liked a lot, even if he was never going to be someone who could carry a title. You knew your face was going to get a good reaction going against him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Jake's "Captain's Curse" also struck the 1991 team he was scheduled to captain but suspended from at the last minute; after losing Boss Man early, Hawk & Animal ran the table against IRS & The Disasters.

Very good point, which I considered, but failed to mention, because he ended up not being there. But yeah, absolutely it did!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eoae said:

Harley?  No... Just, no.  I like Harley but his WWF run is just sad to me.  I feel like he comes off like a dinosaur in late 80's WWE.  Slow, immobile, not a great promo.  His look and gravelly voice kinda underscored that the era was changing and guys like Harley weren't going to be tv-ideal.  He was in his early 40's when '86 when he joined the company but looked a decade older to me.

 

56 minutes ago, Infinit said:

It's mind blowing that Harley was only 43 in 1986. He looked ancient.

Man, I watched Royal Rumble 89 last night. God bless Harley, but that match with Haku....if he was moving any slower he would be moving backwards. Shit, I thought Rockin' Robin and Judy Martin would be the lowlight of the card. In the words of Gordon Solie, "Uh uh, no sir".

It's also patently ridiculous that Haku is even selling for this frail old man, but then again it's still Harley and Haku is a hell of a guy. 

After seeing that, it's absolutely crazy he would go on to take these crazy bumps and do diving headbutts when he went on to manage Vader several years later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister TV said:

No one on "The Vipers" needed their arm twisted to snort some coke, but I can see Jannetty and Snuka teasing Michaels for only doing two lines.

Oh, christ! Jannetty and Snuka on the same team. The Vipers might as well have been named Snowblind, and it still would have worked !

Edited by Shartnado
The Visonaries were the other team
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Oh, christ! Jannetty and Snuka on the same team. The Vipers might as well have been named Snowblind, and it still would have worked !

The 89 team of Warrior & Anvil w the Rockers also qualifies.

as do 92’s Ultimate Maniacs despite the handicap of there only being 2 of them

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm like really slow sometimes, but it only just now occurred to me that there is a totally logical explanation as to why the teams in '87 seemed so much more stacked than '88! There was no Womens' match in '88, so the (men's) roster was spread out over one more match. That's why some basically jobbers ended up getting in. Duuh!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, today is ... what it is.

Thanks for being a refuge, and one way or another, irrespective of outcome, I'll be counting on this place for the next few days.

Peace be with us all.

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember how back in the day, if WCW had a big stipulation match, ECW would do the same stip on their show (as an Anything you can do, I can do better type of deal)?

I would totally love it if this month AEW did a Dynamite where the whole card was Five on Five Elimination tag matches. The way the roster is set up, they'd have a really logical reason for things to happen. Nightmare Family vs Dark Order? Makes sense to have that match happen. Friends of Eddie Kingston vs Tenuous Allies of John Moxley? Makes sense. Some sort of Inner Circle vs MJF, Wardlow & allies deal? Makes sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nofuture said:

Who would have thought that this would end up being one of WWE's more successful and profitable gimmicks.

I've been wondering if the name New Day along with the gospel themed vignettes came from this song 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I dont get why Young Stallions were broken up. They were good! Jim Powers being relegated to JTTS status still baffles me considering the look he had.

Supposedly, Powers and Roma didn't get along behind the scenes and Vince just kind of lost interest in them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2020 at 9:15 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

since I started with Survivor Series 1991 I'm always going to have a soft spot for Flair's Faux Horsemen.  Dibiase was completely different from Arn but he was comparable in prestige and card prominence that he was similarly "could/should be his own faction head, that he's the clear #2 shows how stacked these guys are" to Anderson, and while Jacques was no Tully workrate wise and "The Mountie" is too cartoon for the Horsemen aura, Jacques is a first ballot entry into the Obnoxious Loudmouth Jackass Hall Of Fame and certainly comparable to Tully in having a natural "when is somebody finally going to shut this guy up?" punchable face

and, eh, The Warlord wasn't any worse than some of the other schlubs who ever held down the revolving door at the 4 slot.

 

On 11/2/2020 at 9:50 PM, mattdangerously said:

He really was, though. Sid, Roma, and even Mongo were better than Warlord.

Horsemen era Sid was about on par with the Warlord workrate wise. Sid's later work is obviously better, but it helps when you're working with likes of Bret and Shawn. Sid also has the charisma the Warlord never had.

Of course, Roma was a better worker than the Warlord.

Under no circumstances was Steve McMichael ever better than the Warlord. I'd take any Warlord match and put it up against Mongo's best match. I don't even know what could be considered Mongo's best match. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Under no circustances was Steve McMichael ever better than the Warlord. I'd take any Warlord match and put it up against Mongo's best match. I don't even know what could be considered Mongo's best match. 

You say all of that, but Mongo is the one with the tribute Twitter account. 

And I swear to god, if you [s]send me $50[/s] make that Warlord account we're gonna take it outside and I'm gonna show you what its like. If you think I'm kidding just try me. Because I would love it.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

You say all of that, but Mongo is the one with the tribute Twitter account. 

And I swear to god, if you [s]send me $50[/s] make that Warlord account we're gonna take it outside and I'm gonna show you what its like. If you think I'm kidding just try me. Because I would love it.

Petrol, you magnificent bastard! Somehow, you work Seinfeld into a Warlord/Mongo debate.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Petrol, you magnificent bastard! Somehow, you work Seinfeld into a Warlord/Mongo debate.

I'm just doing what I do. The way I've always done it and the way I'm gonna do it.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...