DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

3 hours ago, BobbyWhioux said:

since I started with Survivor Series 1991 I'm always going to have a soft spot for Flair's Faux Horsemen.  Dibiase was completely different from Arn but he was comparable in prestige and card prominence that he was similarly "could/should be his own faction head, that he's the clear #2 shows how stacked these guys are" to Anderson, and while Jacques was no Tully workrate wise and "The Mountie" is too cartoon for the Horsemen aura, Jacques is a first ballot entry into the Obnoxious Loudmouth Jackass Hall Of Fame and certainly comparable to Tully in having a natural "when is somebody finally going to shut this guy up?" punchable face

and, eh, The Warlord wasn't any worse than some of the other schlubs who ever held down the revolving door at the 4 slot.

This is great, and to counter that, I thought the face side was tremendous, too! Bret, Bulldog, Piper (when he was still somebody) and Virgil ( about the only time HE was anybody)! But yes, both teams were really good, too bad we couldn't have the match end more traditional way than 5 out of 6 guys remaining getting disqualified at the same time!

10 hours ago, Mister TV said:

In 1988 they did co-captains and the Andre-Dino Bravo team was bad ass, those two along with Perfect, Race and Rude. I guess the Jake-Duggan team had the auto-draft on for the late round picks since they ended up with over the hill Ken Patera and jobber Scott Casey to go along with the always dependable Tito Santana. 

Scott Casey was actually a replacement for a replacement.  JYD was originally supposed to be on the team but left the company.  Muraco also left the company and was supposed to be on Warrior's team.  The recently split up and turned enhancement Killer Bees were tapped as the replacements.  Brunzell went to Warrior's team and Blair was supposed to be on Jake's, however, he quit the company over the Bees getting split up, so Casey got put into the match.  Brunzell stayed with the WWF until 1993, but this was his last PPV.

He was under WWE contract for five years and didn't work a single PPV? Not even a Rumble or Survivor Series when everyone was booked? Is he the OG JTG?

25 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Scott Casey was actually a replacement for a replacement.  JYD was originally supposed to be on the team but left the company.  Muraco also left the company and was supposed to be on Warrior's team.  The recently split up and turned enhancement Killer Bees were tapped as the replacements.  Brunzell went to Warrior's team and Blair was supposed to be on Jake's, however, he quit the company over the Bees getting split up, so Casey got put into the match.  Brunzell stayed with the WWF until 1993, but this was his last PPV.

Yeah, Muraco on Warrior's team would have made the team a little bit more formidable in my eyes, with only Sam Houston as a questionable pick (but there to combat Danny Davis, so it made some sense). As much as I thought Blue Blazer was absolutely awesome, it still ended up looking like Warrior and Beefcake picked a team of jobbers.

JYD on Jake & Duggan's team would have made the team look way more credible, but they were always going to be overmatched. Patera was on his last legs, but was there to combat the strength of Dino Bravo, but he ended up going out first (even worse than first for his team in '87)

10 hours ago, Mister TV said:

In 1988 they did co-captains and the Andre-Dino Bravo team was bad ass, those two along with Perfect, Race and Rude. I guess the Jake-Duggan team had the auto-draft on for the late round picks since they ended up with over the hill Ken Patera and jobber Scott Casey to go along with the always dependable Tito Santana. 

Wait, how did Dino Bravo wind up as a co-captain on a team with Perfect, Race, and Rude?

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Wait, how did Dino Bravo wind up as a co-captain on a team with Perfect, Race, and Rude?

He was actually the most pushed guy along with Andre at that point, in a big feud with Duggan, another co-captain.

They really missed the boat by not doing some sort of segment where the captains and in 1988 co-captains picked their teams. They could have built a little bit of tension with Savage and Hogan with Macho not being that excited with Hogan wanting Hillbilly Jim on the team and Hogan not happy that Savage pushed for Koko B. Ware.

Edited by Mister TV
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

They really missed the boat by not doing some sort of segment where the captains and in 1988 co-captains picked their teams. They could have built a little bit of tension with Savage and Hogan with Macho not being that excited with Hogan wanting Hillbilly Jim on the team and Hogan not happy that Savage pushed for Koko B. Ware.

Oh, this would have been so good! "Who the fuck picked Scott Casey, tough guy? HOOOOO!!!!"

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

I see what you did there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

Jake as a team member as opposed to the team captain seems to be a better choice, as every team he just part-took in, instead of leading, actually won their match, even if/when Jake didn't survive('87, '89 and '96). When he was the captain, however his team took an absolute shit-kicking and he had to be there at the end of it, facing increasingly shitty odds ('88 and '90)!

Duggan seems to have similar trajectory, but I'm not quite sure whether or not he or Slaughter was the captain in '91, where their team kicked absolute ass on the heel team? Duggan was a bit untrustworthy member, because he was often swinging the 2x4 and getting disqualified!

1 hour ago, AxB said:

He was under WWE contract for five years and didn't work a single PPV? Not even a Rumble or Survivor Series when everyone was booked? Is he the OG JTG?

Same thing happened to Jim Powers.  Young Stallions were broken up and turned into enhancement talent after this PPV.  Roma got a reprieve and a second chance at PPVs in 1990 with Power and Glory, but Powers stayed with the company until 1994.  Just like Brunzell his last PPV was the '88 Survivor Series.

Edited by Vgmastr

8 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Same thing happened to Jim Powers.  Young Stallions were broken up and turned into enhancement talent after this PPV.  Roma got a reprieve and a second chance at PPVs in 1990 with Power and Glory, but Powers stayed with the company until 1994.  Just like Brunzell his last PPV was the '88 Survivor Series.

It would have been nice, if Powers and Brunzell teamed up at some point during this time and put over some new tag teams on TV. If that would have happened during Survivor Series season, the announcers could have reminded of the viewers of their upset win in '87 ( not that they did bring up such stuff at the time, but hypothetically, still cool)!

14 minutes ago, Vgmastr said:

Same thing happened to Jim Powers.  Young Stallions were broken up and turned into enhancement talent after this PPV.  Roma got a reprieve and a second chance at PPVs in 1990 with Power and Glory, but Powers stayed with the company until 1993.  Just like Brunzell his last PPV was the '88 Survivor Series.

I dont get why Young Stallions were broken up. They were good! Jim Powers being relegated to JTTS status still baffles me considering the look he had.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shartnado said:

He was actually the most pushed guy along with Andre at that point, in a big feud with Duggan, another co-captain.

Okay, but that just pushes the question back one step. Why was Dino Bravo being pushed harder than Perfect, Race, or Rude?

(And I say this as someone who sort of likes Dino Bravo...)

Want to dig into the ECW supershows on the Network. What do people recommend? It's tricky because a lot of those shows were repurposed for Hardcore TV so a lot I've seen but never watched any of the full shows as is. I was thinking Double Tables and Tag Wars. 

Edited by Hagan

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Okay, but that just pushes the question back one step. Why was Dino Bravo being pushed harder than Perfect, Race, or Rude?

Yeah, I've got nothing! Well, Hennig was still new to the scene, Harley had just returned from his surgery and has not been around for a bit and Rude's feud with Roberts had been blown off and Jake moved on to Andre and Rude was kinda spinning wheels before the Warrior feud. So, those are some explanations that I came up with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Duggan needed someone "foreign" to feud with, even though Glens Falls, NY is closer to Montreal than it is NYC. Also Perfect was still pretty new to the company, Race wasn't even King anymore and Rude was in limbo before the Warrior feud started up at the Royal Rumble.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, I've got nothing! Well, Hennig was still new to the scene, Harley had just returned from his surgery and has not been around for a bit and Rude's feud with Roberts had been blown off and Jake moved on to Andre and Rude was kinda spinning wheels before the Warrior feud. So, those are some explanations that I came up with.

Hennig was so new he was still in trunks rather than the trademark singlet. He got to pin Jake at the finish after Andre throttled Roberts so there were signs of a upcoming push. 

3 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Jake as a team member as opposed to the team captain seems to be a better choice, as every team he just part-took in, instead of leading, actually won their match, even if/when Jake didn't survive('87, '89 and '96). When he was the captain, however his team took an absolute shit-kicking and he had to be there at the end of it, facing increasingly shitty odds ('88 and '90)!

Duggan seems to have similar trajectory, but I'm not quite sure whether or not he or Slaughter was the captain in '91, where their team kicked absolute ass on the heel team? Duggan was a bit untrustworthy member, because he was often swinging the 2x4 and getting disqualified!

Jake wasn't a good leader. When other captains would have their teams running drills and doing pushups, Jake had his team snorting coke.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Haha 3