DVDVR Message Board

NOV 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Survivor Series 91 has a really good Jannetty vs Warlord segment. I also think that by the end of 91, Davey Boy and Warlord had workshopped their match so much that what we have on tape is pretty good. 

You're playing the game wrong. Of course Warlord was a better wrestler who could potentially have a good match with Davey Boy Smith after 6 months of practice. It would still be a complete waste of time to spend time watching him wrestle. Mongo,  as useless as he was,  was vastly more memorable,  entertaining,  and worthy of watching on a day to day basis. Warlord was not a danger to himself and his opponents, didn't have a dog he dressed up in goofy outfits,  wasn't a horseman,  didn't have a hot wife who left him almost as soon as she was introduced in television... shall I go on? 

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

Survivor Series 91 has a really good Jannetty vs Warlord segment. I also think that by the end of 91, Davey Boy and Warlord had workshopped their match so much that what we have on tape is pretty good. 

1990 Survivor Series

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AxB said:

Nobody ever wanted to be a wrestler because they dreamed of emulating Mongo. 

There has gotta be some ex football players (collegiate, semi-pro, pro, or otherwise) who watched during the MNW, probably went to Texas or were Bears fans, and decided that this is the guy they wanna be. I watched some of the old Nitros in Chicago, and boy, this man had his fans (especially there first trips there due to WCW's long relationship with Bruce MacArthur and the Wirtz family).

I have stated it many times: I have never heard an entrance pop like Hogan coming out to "Eye of the Tiger". It is a great entrance song. In my ears, "real" songs will always be better than the ones written for wrestlers - there are obvious exceptions, of course. This is one of the reasons that ECW was great, and the sanitized re-dubbed reruns that are around now are so heart breaking.

I have always booed Hogan, and resented him for his backstage shenanigans. Such a boring champ. He never impressed me pre-Hulkamania, Mr. Blassie notwithstanding.

- RAF

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

In my ears, "real" songs will always be better than the ones written for wrestlers - there are obvious exceptions, of course.

I need all theme songs to let me know what the wrestlers opinions are re: asses. Who loves to love them? Kick 'em? Shove 'em? Stick 'em?

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I have stated it many times: I have never heard an entrance pop like Hogan coming out to "Eye of the Tiger". It is a great entrance song. In my ears, "real" songs will always be better than the ones written for wrestlers - there are obvious exceptions, of course. This is one of the reasons that ECW was great, and the sanitized re-dubbed reruns that are around now are so heart breaking.

I have always booed Hogan, and resented him for his backstage shenanigans. Such a boring champ. He never impressed me pre-Hulkamania, Mr. Blassie notwithstanding.

- RAF

On a somewhat related note, I happened to listen to Bonnie Tyler's "Ravishing" on my ride home from work and since that song was a re-used version on Hulk's Theme, I wondered what it would have been like to have Hogan enter the ring to "real song" version of his intended theme? On that note, I also wondered how it would have been if Rick Rude used this song instead of his shitty saxophone WWF theme. I probably would have started liking him much earlier than I did.

Edited by Shartnado
Grammar, twice

One spot where Warlord had Mongo beat: appearance!

the-warlord.jpg

When I saw Warlord in this get-up with the W-Staff and the metallic Phantom of the Opera mask and the big belt, I became a huge fan of his. After a certain amount of matches, even as a child, I came to realize that he was really, really boring. But man did he look cool.

• Like 7

although I actually like Rude's WWF theme, if for no other reason than it being so different from the rest of the fare at the time (i.e. not a heavy rock n' roll tune).  One of the big problems with contemporary WWE is the feeling of sameness and acts seeming interchangible.  Theme music is as much a part of that as ring gear, moves, promos, and can run into the same problem as those when you have an in-house composer of being too similar (since every artist is going to resemble themselves in all their work).  Rude's "The Stripper" knockoff was extremely on-brand/on-gimmick and immediately differentiated him from the field.  [But "Smooth Operator" would've been just as much so and was way cooler.]

• Like 4