DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2020

Curt McGirt

Brian Cage:

8ozyu2chk3b21.jpg

He claims he was having serious cash flow problems at one point and couldn't afford enough food.

So am I the only one having a hard time connecting that control freak, dress code, no sneezing, no yawning Brodie Lee and his lackeys are the same stable as Evil Uno and Stu Grayson being creepy perverts, recruiting jobbers and beating people up in the woods?

• Like 1

If the Brodie Lee vignettes had featured Uno and Grayson (as well as Silver and Reynolds that one time) it might glue it together better. But the Covid-19 has played major havoc with a lot of AEW booking. I'm fairly sure Proud & Powerful, Private Party, MJF & Wardlow, Big Swole, Nyla, the other 2/3 of Jurassic Express, Riho et cetera wouldn't all have completely disappeared from the shows if flying them in had been an option.

I mean, the Florida & Georgia crew are doing the TV, and the Calfornia people are appearing on BTE, but the New York crew (and the geographically far flung, like Hangman) are invisible. Can't they tape some promos or something?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AxB said:

So am I the only one having a hard time connecting that control freak, dress code, no sneezing, no yawning Brodie Lee and his lackeys are the same stable as Evil Uno and Stu Grayson being creepy perverts, recruiting jobbers and beating people up in the woods?

In my head Brodie told them to knock that shit off and laid down the law.  But that's me filling in the logic gaps though it would be nice to see some evidence of that.  And noting your next post yeah they could have found a way to use Zoom or something to get them all together but they might have preferred filming it the way they normally film things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

If the Brodie Lee vignettes had featured Uno and Grayson (as well as Silver and Reynolds that one time) it might glue it together better. But the Covid-19 has played major havoc with a lot of AEW booking. I'm fairly sure Proud & Powerful, Private Party, MJF & Wardlow, Big Swole, Nyla, the other 2/3 of Jurassic Express, Riho et cetera wouldn't all have completely disappeared from the shows if flying them in had been an option.

I mean, the Florida & Georgia crew are doing the TV, and the Calfornia people are appearing on BTE, but the New York crew (and the geographically far flung, like Hangman) are invisible. Can't they tape some promos or something?

Does that mean these people are geographically undesirable much like Jean Paul Levesque in WCW? He still gives Bischoff shit about that cause they wouldn't fly him out to WCW tapings since he lived in New Hampshire or wherever the hell he lived in the Northeast at the time.

20 hours ago, Hagan said:

Anyone still watch BTE? I checked out when the weekly show started due to time but threw on this week's episode. Taya is a cast member? Is she done with Impact? 

Anything else weird or wacky been going? It seems know to be a showcase for the West Coast guys under lockdown. 

Taya (along with John Morrison) have appeared before in a segment with Jurrasic Express. They were walking a dog while Luchasaurus was walking Marko.

This is from the new WON (about all their tapings)

AEW finished a marathon set of tapings on 4/2 in Decatur, GA, at Q.T. Marshall’s school. The tapings were done with a skeleton crew. Unlike WWE and UFC, talent from certain parts of the country were not going to be brought in, most notably California and New York City. In addition, all talent was told that they didn’t have to come and they would be paid in full.

The tapings were for Dynamite and Dark through as long as 5/20. Depending on the situation, it is possible they could do another taping in early or mid-May, but if not, they have enough covered and there won’t be any tapings for several weeks.

AEW used mostly talent that lives in the Southeast and a few from Texas, but will have footage of talent not there for television. Jon Moxley, who is based in Las Vegas, had his 4/15 title match with Jake Hager taped at the prior set of tapings. Jim Ross will be used as the commentator for this specific match, doing voiceovers from home, as it will be from Daily’s Place in Jacksonville while the rest of the show next week will be from Decatur, GA. Aubrey Edwards, who is based in Seattle, stayed in the area since this started as Tony Khan also told talent that they could avoid flying back-and-forth if they wanted to stay in Jacksonville or in the area and the company would pay for their lodging through this set of tapings.

The TNT tournament is taped up until the finals. Tony Schiavone and Chris Jericho will be the announcing team for all the remaining shows from Georgia.

The next major event, the 5/23 Double or Nothing show, remains up in the air. There are three choices, all obvious, based on what will be allowed in Las Vegas. The show is booked for the MGM Grand and was about 1,500 ticket shy of being sold out a month ago, but it’s doubtful many if any tickets have moved in recent weeks.

If fans are allowed, which at this point feels like it is very unlikely, it will be a regular show. If fans are not allowed, they could either do an empty arena show in Las Vegas, or an empty arena show at another location. It is also possible they could move the date of the PPV.

The MGM Grand has canceled all events in May except AEW although MGM Resorts has said all events are canceled through 6/1,which in theory would include AEW. The MGM Grand web site was still selling tickets for both the 5/23 Double or Nothing show and the 5/27 Dynamite on 4/9.

The AEW Southern California crew, notably The Young Bucks, SCU, Peter Avalon and Brandon Cutler, along with Simon Lotto and Steven Andrews taped matches for Being the Elite this past week. The bouts were basic matches, actually quite good wrestling-wise but toned down in the risk department, Excalibur doing voiceover work completely tongue-in-cheek. The location was a ring set up on a tennis and basketball court that was in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. Excalibur called it the AEW Compound and would talk of a capacity crowd with nobody else there. They also showed the guys lifting weights and getting ready in what is Nick Jackson’s home gym.

Last week on the show Matt and Nick were training in the same ring with the idea that Nick was trying to get ready for a return. It was brothers training together and it seemed okay but it’s still in a state under lockdown. At this point doing matches in California even with just a few people didn’t feel right. In a sense you could compare it to training at a gym, or perhaps kids playing on the playground with each other, except it was pro wrestling matches. The issue is all gyms are closed and playgrounds I believe are closed as well (beaches and playgrounds are all closed here). They were the only ones following the ten-person in a gathering limit that AEW and WWE were not doing. The matches had four people and a referee, were outdoors, had one camera man near the ring and another person shooting from very far away, looking like more than 60 feet let alone six feet.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

We've seen Vince be a creepy pervert on tv. Who's to say he doesn't recruit jobbers and beat them up in the woods? I have no problem connecting Mr. Brodie to Evil Uno & Stu Grayson.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I want to be Tony Khan.

Not me, I’d be a terrible Tony Khan.  It would be like Billy Madison.

Instead of AEW I probably would have bought Impact, let my drinking buddies book the show.

The Jaguars would probably be way better though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Not me, I’d be a terrible Tony Khan.  It would be like Billy Madison.

Instead of AEW I probably would have bought Impact, let my drinking buddies book the show.

The Jaguars would probably be way better though.

so the penguin beats Tessa Blanchard for the Impact world title?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Not me, I’d be a terrible Tony Khan. 

Exactly.

Step 1) I brag about how I’m finally going to do a wrestling show right.

Step 2) I’m the inaugural champion.

Step 3) I spend half of my budget stealing Rey from Vince because I’m convinced he’s the most famous star that I can lift in a match. I try to gorilla press slam him and throw my back out. 

Step 4) I book a dream rematch of Rey Mysterio vs Scott Steiner’s tiger for my vacated title while on muscle relaxers. It falls apart when Rey and the tiger cannot agree on a finish. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Announced for next week's Dynamite: Sammy Guevara vs 'Pineapple Pete' Suge D. Wouldn't be surprised if this was originally pencilled in for Dark and moved up to TV after Jericho got Suge over so strongly last week. Even though most likely it's a squash, hopefully Suge gets signed to a proper deal off the back of this.

23 hours ago, AxB said:

They beat up the fat guy in the woods because his motivation for joining was that he just wanted friends. Brodie Lee beat up the jobber for losing.

Jobbers are recruited for strength in numbers but weakness is unacceptable.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Is it a Pineapple Pete shirt?

Yes it’s a Pineapple Pete shirt.

Edit: Whoops never mind, it’s actually on just his store. Just a wrestler pulling a hustle. But it looks like he’s running with that Pineapple Pete nickname.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 9:11 PM, AxB said:

Brian Cage:

8ozyu2chk3b21.jpg

He claims he was having serious cash flow problems at one point and couldn't afford enough food.

I watched PWG through that period and I'm pretty sure he was coming off an injury that kept him from working out.