DVDVR Message Board

AEW - APR 2020

Curt McGirt

• If you enjoyed the last few weeks of AEW Dynamite, including tonight's episode, the shows taped in Georgia were all written by AEW President Tony Khan.  The word making the rounds is that Khan, realizing that he was going to have a very small crew due to shut-in rulings around the country, sat down and wrote the last four weeks of TV on the fly at once by himself in a matter of minutes, built around the TNT Championship tournament and the local talents that were available.  It was very much a "trial by fire" moment where Khan and his crew had to quickly pivot and come up with something that could work to further company storylines and utilize their reduced resources in terms of crew and talent.  Obviously, if you watched Dynamite the last few weeks, you can see that the plan paid off, as the shows have been extremely strong every week, especially given the fact that they were using about 1/3rd of their contracted talent.  The tapings had been built around the idea of presenting them similar in nature to old territorial TV (but with AEW's spin on things) as Khan was a huge fan of Memphis and Continental, among other similar promotions.

Again, no surprise that there was a lack of time put into these shows. 

• There are lots of plans to utilize the Broken Universe in the days ahead.

Very concerned by this piece of news.  I was excited to see Matt join the Elite ranks.  I accepted the full bore goofiness of his debut, but a few weeks on and I've already had enough of this bullshit.  Please no more of the 'hilarious' Vanguard-1.  I hope I'm speaking too soon and they've got a plan on how to reel Hardy in from the idiotic elements that seem to be prevailing.  I also worry that this will instill confidence in the Bucks to bridge the mostly unwatchable lame comedy of  BTE to the national TV stage.  Anyway, bad or worrysome sign of things to come.

P.s. Thanks @Casey for posting the AEW news.

I think they'll be moving those mathes over to Dark now. Perhaps Dark will return to being 60 minutes long instead of 18.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Did they have more episodes taped but are now not going to air those because they can go back live again? I thought it was said they had taped up to Double or Nothing originally. 

They taped enough content to last through May 20 just to be safe. With Florida announcing that pro wrestling is an essential business, they’re doing new tapings with more of the roster involved. They only have three weeks to try to heat up this ppv, with that super limited roster they were using and audibled storylines they were very limited with what they had to work with. 

• Like 1