DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

6 hours ago, OSJ said:

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it. What exactly does Punk bring to the table in 2019? 

If he brings some comics to the table I'm all for it.  Listen,  I don't think AEW needs to bring in Punk either but I don't believe bringing in Punk to do something theoretically would be in the same ballpark as TNA bringing in a 75-year old Hulk Hogan to run things or seriously pushing a bunch of WWE castoffs over AJ Styles or Samoa Joe.   

AEW would be fine if they bring Punk in and they've be fine without him.  Shit,  I'm not even a Punk fan so I'd be pleased if this is a shoot and he doesn't appear. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That worked out real well for him.

Honestly, I just thought that image was too apropos not to use.

But if I were to turn it into a serious argument: I believe lots of people who aren't firmly ensconced in the wrestling bubble still watch 'Mania every year. Whether those people would remember a guy who had a pretty memorable entrance a few years ago but hasn't done much of anything since... maybe? Some of them? I dunno.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Honestly, I just thought that image was too apropos not to use.

But if I were to turn it into a serious argument: I believe lots of people who aren't firmly ensconced in the wrestling bubble still watch 'Mania every year. Whether those people would remember a guy who had a pretty memorable entrance a few years ago but hasn't done much of anything since... maybe? Some of them? I dunno.

It was a cool entrance, just like Bray's the year before when he got fed to Cena.

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'll give you Sasha, but I don't think Rusev gets a "Holy Shit" chant just for showing up. I think he's been so damaged by bad booking. Even when something like Rusev Day gets over huge organically, WWE couldn't not fuck it up. Now, if he were to do something big like Shawn Spears, then he'd get the reaction after. He wouldn't get a Moxley reaction just for showing up. That's not saying I don't like Rusev beause I do. I wouldn't be opposed to him showing up whenever his contract is up.

Outside of Marty Scurll and possibly PCO and Brody King when their ROH deals end, the talent I'm most excited about possibly being AEW bound would be Brodie Lee (Luke Harper).

I'm with NGE on this, Brodie Lee is forty or close to it, but there's no question that he can still go. He'd be a perfect monster heel among a bunch of guys who are quite a bit shorter in stature. It won't make the roster look small or weak, it will make him look like a monster.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

You get a motivated Brodie Lee, and potentially have another Lance Archer.

BTW, I can’t wait till the next gen of long haired big guys looks to Lance Archer as the inspiration to the way they work.

Lance Archer was the dude on TNA with the tramp stamp?

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

...And now he’s the best big man in wrestling today.

Damn man I'm gonna check out some of his stuff, any must-sees you can recommend? I don't follow NJPW as closely as I should (I switched streaming TV providers so no more AXS). Dumbass me is still picturing him with the guitar hero remote and everything.

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Damn man I'm gonna check out some of his stuff, any must-sees you can recommend? I don't follow NJPW as closely as I should (I switched streaming TV providers so no more AXS). Dumbass me is still picturing him with the guitar hero remote and everything.

Just watch his stuff in G1 that is now going. He really started clicking only in last couple of months.

Edited by Archibald
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Hey, Rock N Rave were pretty good before TNA took their TV time away when they got over, and were having good matches.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was a cool entrance, just like Bray's the year before when he got fed to Cena.

That one was apparently less memorable to me, as I have no recollection of it. I do remember the scarecrow thing he did the year he was fed to 'Taker.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Raziel said:

I still get baffeled in this thread by people being hell bent on the promotion that's supposed to be new, different, and alternative to repeat the massive fuckups of promotions past.  You want to land the naysayers, promote the fuck out of the people  you have and stop wanting them to clog up space with never were's and has beens (and fuck it, yes, Punk's a fucking has been.  Its been over 5 years and he bombed in his "second life")  It's like ya'll got pissy when some skeptics raised flags that this reeked of TNAv2, and ya'll keep fantasy booking this to be TNAv2.

Punk adds nothing to the product long term.  Page adds long term, MJF adds long term.  Starfucking anyone that has WWE cred is the exact same mistake TNA made that most of you ripped the shit out of them for, for over a decade, fuck, almost 2!  bring up these overlooked guys and keep them local instead of wanting to send them to job to NJPW's midcard like RoH.  

Sell people like me, the doubters and the skeptics that this is the actual real deal and not another pretender, because basing an entire promotion around "Fuck Vince" isn't going to work, just ask Dixie and the Jarretts.  

TNA had a problem with booking talent, angles, etc. The following is what I think, but better written...

22 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

Also, CM Punk would move needles for a startup company. Maybe it doesn't last. Maybe they fuck it up. Maybe he fucks it up. Doesn't matter. When TNA had Kurt Angle come in, they had him feud with Joe and had the biggest buyrates in company history. Bringing Angle in wasn't a mistake. The way they handled it after and the way they treated Joe as an afterthought was a huge mistake. If you think Punk doesn't move needles then fair enough. We can agree to disagree. 

Also, bringing someone into the company from the WWE isn't a mistake in and of itself. Would anyone be upset if Rusev or the Revival or Sasha or Luke Harper showed up? No. People would go nuts... especially if they made as big of an impact as Moxley has so far. 

Ha, having not seen a full E show in many years I’ve actually never seen any of these ppl, but interested to see any of them.

——

The ideas floating around here for debuts is fine and fair and fun.  And expected.  Seems like an oversight to come to a msg board and both not expect it and complain. That said, I agree with the notion that they have all they need to begin.  Not to say a big debut wouldn’t generate some buzz, but it’s good to keep in mind that everybody is making their weekly tv debut appearance.  

P.s. to the above talk, what is Claudio’s contract status.  The under utilized performer with tremendous capability is the most exciting type of debuting performer.

Lastly, Lance Archer always clearly had some raw talent and abilities that most performers of his size don’t.  Adding the tree of tattoos around the tramp stamp was important for his look.  It’s always exciting seeing a talented performer realize his abilities as Lance is clearly doing now.  He’s going to be a hot free agent some time down the road.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

Lance has been really good for a while, it's just that NJPW's tag division is the shits and clearly something Gedo doesn't give much thought. I remember absolutely loving him in the Tokyo Dome match against EVIL/SANADA from 2018. His intensity and presence was the first thing he nailed down and then he started to improve his timing and spots.

I agree with the sentiment that the roster could use a few bigger guys in general. Easiest story to tell in wrestling is David vs. the Goliath. 

• Like 2

A redux of a Twin Towers like team would work really well in AEW. Imagine Lee and Archer chucking Marko Stunt or Sammy Guevara into the eighth row and now stop throwing money at your screen because it hasn’t happened yet.

• Haha 1

I've said before but Lance was always my biggest 'how did WWE do absolutely nothing with this guy'. I guess if he only signed a few years later on. Seemed he'd be a great fit with his size and has worked in a variety of roles, of course only getting better since to where these days he seems like an easy top guy anywhere.

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

...And now he’s the best big man in wrestling today.

And I recall being roundly laughed at when I said he had all the potential in the world. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about.

• Like 3

Britt Baker says she's doing well and looking to get cleared. CD's eye is fucking disgusting, he says he almost lost it. Apparently it happened when he was doing a triple shot for Defy this past weekend. Not a whole lot in this one.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OSJ said:

And I recall being roundly laughed at when I said he had all the potential in the world. Sometimes I know what I'm talking about.

I knew he had a ton of potential when he was Kid Kash’s bodyguard, and tag partner, Dallas. But everybody couldn’t stop talking about his damn tramp stamp.That dude got over three times in TNA. But management kept trying to ignore him, like they would try to do with Desmond Wolf later:

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 3