DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

Punk isn't doing fuck all with AEW. I don't know why anyone would even give that idea the time of day. Batista is firmly retired from wrestling period.

Again, this company doesn't need big surprises for All Out or for their TV show. They just need to put on a good show that makes you want to watch the following week.

And saying Punk is doing Starrcast is kind of a joke. He's doing the same thing he did last year except this time it's at Starrcast instead of making a complete and absolute mess out of the Pro Wrestling Tees store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You talk about not knowing who Scurll is until recently and say you don't think anyone outside the wrestling bubble knows who he is, then bring up Rusev and Sasha? Is anyone outside that bubble going to know who Rusev and Sasha are?

C25ykOu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The EVPs very publicly playing footsie with Punk doesn’t necessarily register on the Richter scale. But it’s hilarious how inclined people are to pretend it’s not super deliberate. 

People being so inclined to ignore Punk rumours is going to help this thing land with a bang if (when) it happens. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

I still get baffeled in this thread by people being hell bent on the promotion that's supposed to be new, different, and alternative to repeat the massive fuckups of promotions past.  You want to land the naysayers, promote the fuck out of the people  you have and stop wanting them to clog up space with never were's and has beens (and fuck it, yes, Punk's a fucking has been.  Its been over 5 years and he bombed in his "second life")  It's like ya'll got pissy when some skeptics raised flags that this reeked of TNAv2, and ya'll keep fantasy booking this to be TNAv2.

Punk adds nothing to the product long term.  Page adds long term, MJF adds long term.  Starfucking anyone that has WWE cred is the exact same mistake TNA made that most of you ripped the shit out of them for, for over a decade, fuck, almost 2!  bring up these overlooked guys and keep them local instead of wanting to send them to job to NJPW's midcard like RoH.  

Sell people like me, the doubters and the skeptics that this is the actual real deal and not another pretender, because basing an entire promotion around "Fuck Vince" isn't going to work, just ask Dixie and the Jarretts.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Punk adds nothing to the product long term.  

That’s not the standard by which you should judge his involvement. It gets them off the launch pad with a world of momentum, even if he is yesterday’s news.

At the same time, present new, fresh acts to the eyeballs Punk attracts. These guys seem smart. I’m sure they can walk and chew gum while carrying multiple egg baskets. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

Ring rust and a bad attitude

Well, you know what they say about Phil, surly to bed, surly to rise...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

This is why I wish we knew when Rusev's contract or Sasha's contract are up. 

I *think* Sasha has another two years on her contract. I recall hearing she re-upped sometime last year. Don't hold me to that, though. Not certain about Rusev.

A question: what match will main event All Out? The obvious answer is Jericho/Page since it determines the first-ever AEW Champion. But Moxley/Omega seems to have more build. Would they possibly do Moxley/Omega last?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You talk about not knowing who Scurll is until recently and say you don't think anyone outside the wrestling bubble knows who he is, then bring up Rusev and Sasha? Is anyone outside that bubble going to know who Rusev and Sasha are? I don't think there is anyone in a US promotion known outside that bubble. The ones that are (Rock, Austin, Hogan, Flair) are from previous eras. The biggest promotion in the US has put more effort into making sure nobody is bigger than brand, either by design or ineptitude. There could be another wrestler that does; we just don't know who it is yet. Is Ronda Rousey that well known outside of MMA and wrestling? Is Batista that well known outside wrestling and movies similar to GOTG?

Punk should be the guy AEW goes after for either All Out or their tv debut. If not, I'd go with Marty. The guy is over wherever he wrestles. We know the hardcore fans know who he is. He had most of MSG pulling for him to win the ROH title. Watch his matches from this year's BOSJ to hear how over he is in Japan. Marty would get a great reaction from the fans in attendance, and if you hear a loud reaction for Marty, wouldn't that tell you "Wow, the people at the show love him. Let me see who he is, look up some matches, etc." If that happens, maybe you've got yourself some new fans.

Sasha and Rusev have widespread exposure on WWE TV to a national audience. This isn't knocking Scurll at all. However, you won't get the HOLY SHIT chants for a Scurll the way you would for a Sasha or Rusev. Scurll would be somebody you would have to spend more time introducing to a national. audience than Sasha or Rusev. I hope Scurll comes over and adds even more depth to the product. Badass. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I *think* Sasha has another two years on her contract. I recall hearing she re-upped sometime last year. Don't hold me to that, though. Not certain about Rusev.

A question: what match will main event All Out? The obvious answer is Jericho/Page since it determines the first-ever AEW Champion. But Moxley/Omega seems to have more build. Would they possibly do Moxley/Omega last?

They should absolutely end with Moxley-Omega. 

Also, CM Punk would move needles for a startup company. Maybe it doesn't last. Maybe they fuck it up. Maybe he fucks it up. Doesn't matter. When TNA had Kurt Angle come in, they had him feud with Joe and had the biggest buyrates in company history. Bringing Angle in wasn't a mistake. The way they handled it after and the way they treated Joe as an afterthought was a huge mistake. If you think Punk doesn't move needles then fair enough. We can agree to disagree. 

Also, bringing someone into the company from the WWE isn't a mistake in and of itself. Would anyone be upset if Rusev or the Revival or Sasha or Luke Harper showed up? No. People would go nuts... especially if they made as big of an impact as Moxley has so far. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Sasha and Rusev have widespread exposure on WWE TV to a national audience. This isn't knocking Scurll at all. However, you won't get the HOLY SHIT chants for a Scurll the way you would for a Sasha or Rusev. Scurll would be somebody you would have to spend more time introducing to a national. audience than Sasha or Rusev. I hope Scurll comes over and adds even more depth to the product. Badass. 

I'll give you Sasha, but I don't think Rusev gets a "Holy Shit" chant just for showing up. I think he's been so damaged by bad booking. Even when something like Rusev Day gets over huge organically, WWE couldn't not fuck it up. Now, if he were to do something big like Shawn Spears, then he'd get the reaction after. He wouldn't get a Moxley reaction just for showing up. That's not saying I don't like Rusev beause I do. I wouldn't be opposed to him showing up whenever his contract is up.

Outside of Marty Scurll and possibly PCO and Brody King when their ROH deals end, the talent I'm most excited about possibly being AEW bound would be Brodie Lee (Luke Harper).

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

And that's all that matters. I'm going to be so disappointed if Chuck and Trent don't come out in those shirts to scout a tag team.

edit: all this talk of Punk and who's making the jump has me feeling fucking old and nostalgic. I love this even if it's hilarious and irritating all at the same time.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, goodhelmet said:

They should absolutely end with Moxley-Omega. 

Yeah. There’s no way that match doesn’t have way more heat than Jericho/Page, and it would be way better for gif and highlights on social media for like espn and si. They can just do a lazy storyline where the champion is furious they weren’t the main event, but this is the hand they’ve dealt themselves. 

Omega vs Moxley - main event 

3 hours ago, goodhelmet said:

When TNA had Kurt Angle come in, they had him feud with Joe and had the biggest buyrates in company history. Bringing Angle in wasn't a mistake.

Yeah that was a big deal, and the first time I heard about TNA. My dumbass boss at the time even brought up TNA in conversation because of that. This was a guy who paid attention to nothing but mainstream US sports, and was thick as a brick, yet he heard about them all the same. 

If Punk could do that for them (and I don't think he's coming but stranger things have happened) then good, but I don't care to see him wrestle. Hell, I've never liked him in the ring. He'd be a great PBP guy though. 

• Like 1