DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

And both Paige and AJ Lee built themselves as the opposite of the norm pretty much their entire runs. But, yeah, let's pretend it's not a bias. Biases don't have to show 100% of the time.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Mickie James and Eve Torres were the faces of the division?   No.  They were never pushed in that way,  it's ridiculous to suggest that they were pushed in that way.  It's like me saying Mark Henry was the face of WWE.  It never happened.  He had his 'Hall of Pain' run,  cool.  I wish they did more with it.  He wasn't the main guy in WWE.  Ever.   Same for Eve and Mickie. 

There's no "narrative" .... it's fact.   Mickie was always a #2 whether that was playing off of Trish or playing off of  Michelle McCool.  

Ctrl+f "face"... and the first thing that comes up is your post. Because those goalposts always move.

If you only want to talk about the "face of the division" and split hairs further, you don't bring Lacey and Mandy into this. 

Given that this is the AEW thread, it makes sense that everyone is spending so much time slagging off WWE. Gotta take management's obvious trolling seriously.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

When Tony Khan was making the initial rounds of press, there was a question concerning talks with Bill Goldberg.  I believe this was on Sean Waltman's podcast.  He discusses being friendly with Goldberg but dodges or sneaks out of the question.  The exchange sounded like Goldy, at some point, was likely to appear.  Since that time the stock/name value of Goldberg has taken a hit following the infamous Taker bout.  With all this talk about collarless shirts and 'superstar' surprises, I'm imagining in my mind a collarless Goldy showing up to challenge (inevitably the Champion) Jericho around the TNT debut.  Obviously Bill's not much of an exciting 'worker', but what do you all think about a Goldberg/AEW association?  This is supposing that the Saudi Arabia deal was a one shot.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Mickie James and Eve Torres were the faces of the division?   No.  They were never pushed in that way,  it's ridiculous to suggest that they were pushed in that way.  It's like me saying Mark Henry was the face of WWE.  It never happened.  He had his 'Hall of Pain' run,  cool.  I wish they did more with it.  He wasn't the main guy in WWE.  Ever.   Same for Eve and Mickie. 

There's no "narrative" .... it's fact.   Mickie was always a #2 whether that was playing off of Trish or playing off of  Michelle McCool.  

Stratus retired in early 2006, and was retired for the last three years of Mickie's original WWE run. Mickie retired Lita at Survivor Series 2006, and was the featured performer in the division after that. Michelle McCool didn't win a title until the middle of 2008. So for 18 months, Mickie was a highly featured performer without Stratus or McCool around.

Your definition of fact is wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

When Tony Khan was making the initial rounds of press, there was a question concerning talks with Bill Goldberg.  I believe this was on Sean Waltman's podcast.  He discusses being friendly with Goldberg but dodges or sneaks out of the question.  The exchange sounded like Goldy, at some point, was likely to appear.  Since that time the stock/name value of Goldberg has taken a hit following the infamous Taker bout.  With all this talk about collarless shirts and 'superstar' surprises, I'm imagining in my mind a collarless Goldy showing up to challenge (inevitably the Champion) Jericho around the TNT debut.  Obviously Bill's not much of an exciting 'worker', but what do you all think about a Goldberg/AEW association?  This is supposing that the Saudi Arabia deal was a one shot.    

Jericho won't agree to put him over, and I assume Goldy is not willing to put Jericho, or anyone else on the roster, over. So unless you are willing to book him as an undefeated monster until he retires, I have no idea how it works.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Jericho won't agree to put him over, and I assume Goldy is not willing to put Jericho, or anyone else on the roster, over. So unless you are willing to book him as an undefeated monster until he retires, I have no idea how it works.

That's a worst case assumption, but also very plausible.  There's enough cannon fodder on the roster for a monster run without hurting the upper card core, and there's tons of guys that could be brought in to squash.  I think playing off the real life Jericho-Goldberg feud might be interesting.  I think a name feud such as this could also attract some mainstream eyes.  And I'm of the belief that Jericho is good enough to carry a decent match out of it.  I'm also of the belief that Goldy's become a bit more rational at this stage of his career, and that he'd take a pay out to drop his shoulders down for the 1-2-3.  

For a company that's supposed to be the alternative and not another retread of TNA, shit like 1st Champ Jericho who has the realistic chance to eat Rainmaker over in Japan whilst having the belt, toying with (and possibly bringing in if their working Dave) using Punk who hasn't had a match in over 5 years and spent his last famous performances getting obliterated against tomato cans in MMA and can't even score a point in amateur BJJ comps, and bringing in an over-the-hill Goldberg that embarrassed himself on WWE PPV a couple months ago seem like the ass wrong way to go.

• Like 4

I'm pretty sure whatever interest there was in seeing Goldberg again has already paid out, for Vince years ago. And presumably Goldie has a legends deal with the WWE, and the potential chance of another Saudi payday in the future. Don't see why he'd have any incentive to leave that and go to AEW. He's not a belt mark, is he?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Stratus retired in early 2006, and was retired for the last three years of Mickie's original WWE run. Mickie retired Lita at Survivor Series 2006, and was the featured performer in the division after that. Michelle McCool didn't win a title until the middle of 2008. So for 18 months, Mickie was a highly featured performer without Stratus or McCool around.

All you're saying here is that it took them a while to find the new Trish (Michelle).  You can think Vince and WWE don't have an obvious preference but many other people here have laid it out besides just me. 

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

I'm sure there is an interesting discussion to be had about the mid 2000s women's division in WWE.... just not here. Let's get back on track. 

Anyway.... my bold prediction is that they will have a big surprise on the All Out PPV (ala Moxley) and another big surprise on the TNT debut. I don't know who those two would be but I think we are looking at 2 big names, not one. 

• Like 1

If it’s not a work (and I don’t care/have strong thoughts one way or the other), then Cody seems to be needlessly burning bridges with Punk by his response, and I’m now looking forward to his shitfit when someone actually jumps from AEW to WWE.

25 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Anyway.... my bold prediction is that they will have a big surprise on the All Out PPV (ala Moxley) and another big surprise on the TNT debut. I don't know who those two would be but I think we are looking at 2 big names, not one. 

I think Punk is the choice for All Out. It's Chicago,  he's doing Starrcast, etc.  I'm not going to say he will wrestle but I think there's some sort of angle they are discussing and he'll show his face.  That's my gut feeling. 

For the first TNT show I don't know,  maybe Batista?  He's from DC and he's apparently done with WWE..  again I wouldn't expect a match.   If you want to think smaller then maybe someone like a Marty Scurll if his contract is up.  

• Like 1

I think the TNT show would be Punk. Sprinkle in some seeds early but hold back. Unless it is a current WWE superstar under contract we don't know about, I don't think they can have anyone bigger than Punk at this moment and it would be more important to debut on TV imo. Not Scurll. Until a few months ago I didn't even know who he was and I doubt anyone outside the wrestling bubble would know either. 

This is why I wish we knew when Rusev's contract or Sasha's contract are up. 

4 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I think the TNT show would be Punk. Sprinkle in some seeds early but hold back. Unless it is a current WWE superstar under contract we don't know about, I don't think they can have anyone bigger than Punk at this moment and it would be more important to debut on TV imo. Not Scurll. Until a few months ago I didn't even know who he was and I doubt anyone outside the wrestling bubble would know either. 

This is why I wish we knew when Rusev's contract or Sasha's contract are up. 

You talk about not knowing who Scurll is until recently and say you don't think anyone outside the wrestling bubble knows who he is, then bring up Rusev and Sasha? Is anyone outside that bubble going to know who Rusev and Sasha are? I don't think there is anyone in a US promotion known outside that bubble. The ones that are (Rock, Austin, Hogan, Flair) are from previous eras. The biggest promotion in the US has put more effort into making sure nobody is bigger than brand, either by design or ineptitude. There could be another wrestler that does; we just don't know who it is yet. Is Ronda Rousey that well known outside of MMA and wrestling? Is Batista that well known outside wrestling and movies similar to GOTG?

Punk should be the guy AEW goes after for either All Out or their tv debut. If not, I'd go with Marty. The guy is over wherever he wrestles. We know the hardcore fans know who he is. He had most of MSG pulling for him to win the ROH title. Watch his matches from this year's BOSJ to hear how over he is in Japan. Marty would get a great reaction from the fans in attendance, and if you hear a loud reaction for Marty, wouldn't that tell you "Wow, the people at the show love him. Let me see who he is, look up some matches, etc." If that happens, maybe you've got yourself some new fans.

I think its dope having Tully in a managerial role. Spears wouldn't be my first choice for him but hopefully it works for him. If they were to bring in Batista, I'd have him be someone's agent and just be at ringside for them every week dressed like only Dave can dress and He can get physical on occasion with out having to have a match.

I wish the TV would start, because the fantasy booking is absurd. They don’t need a surprise on All Out or their TV debut. Punk isn’t coming back to wrestling, and Batista is still in the MCU and probably will be for awhile as long as his character doesn’t die or something in Volume 3.

You're more likely to see Stephen Amell debut for AEW than Batista or Punk.

• Like 6