DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

*Tootsie Pop owl voice* Thrrrree.

I don't think her working regularly for Stardom will prevent her from appearing on AEW or else Bea's situation would be different. However, it's easier to bring talent in for one offs, less so for weekly TV. The women's division is interesting because to me it's the real weak point of their shows so far outside of the joshi wrestlers. I was hoping they'd build around Japanese women because there's a dearth of talented North American women not signed to WWE or elsewhere from my limited perspective.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes.

The arena is billing it on Twitter as the "first ever TV live event" from the Capital One Arena.

EDIT: Which looking at some of the shows that's been hosted there, obviously refers to AEW's first ever TV live event. Duh Casey ?

Technicly I guess. I know I saw SD there in 2001.

22 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

*Tootsie Pop owl voice* Thrrrree.

I don't think her working regularly for Stardom will prevent her from appearing on AEW or else Bea's situation would be different. However, it's easier to bring talent in for one offs, less so for weekly TV. The women's division is interesting because to me it's the real weak point of their shows so far outside of the joshi wrestlers. I was hoping they'd build around Japanese women because there's a dearth of talented North American women not signed to WWE or elsewhere from my limited perspective.

Well, Bea is contracted to Stardom full time. Her situation is already a little different. I don't think its even known how many shows AEW even her for unlike Riho. Riho is still a freelancer as far as I can tell so she coudl still show up if AEW wants her. Also while I don't follow the indy scene strongly, there seems to be plenty of talented non-Japanese women not signed up by anyone. AEW just keep ignoring them for whatever reason.

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Honestly...I don't think losing Riho is a huge loss. Yuka has been way more over with the crowd and out of the two I'd hope they could keep her over Riho.

Yuka is signed to TJPW so I assume her appearances will be spotty.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I think my biggest concern is the size of the venue. Seems a little too big for their first show. I have no idea how they would feel if it didn't sell out or what should be considered a success. 20k seat arena...so would hitting the same 10k+ that they've drawn in not-Chicago or Vegas be considered a success even if it's less than half the total amount of seats in the arena?

Meltzer also said on Monday or Sunday that the early expectation is between 400k to 700k viewers, which seems...low?

That's actually really reasonable expectations for viewership for what is basically a niche product on launch.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

No fucking way. Tony Khan seems super ambitious and I can't see them being anything but disappointed with that. It ain't going to happen because, as Matt said, they'll get the traveling crowd for the debut regardless of the day of the week. It'll be closer to a sellout than the shit show of the G1 in Dallas (which was a good show with a lively crowd but looked like amateur hour).

I admire NJPW not trying to hide the fact that they didn't sell out the venue. I thought it looked just fine. It was such an excellent show, and those empty seats made me wish I lived closer to Dallas. 

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

I think my biggest concern is the size of the venue. Seems a little too big for their first show. I have no idea how they would feel if it didn't sell out or what should be considered a success. 20k seat arena...so would hitting the same 10k+ that they've drawn in not-Chicago or Vegas be considered a success even if it's less than half the total amount of seats in the arena?

Meltzer also said on Monday or Sunday that the early expectation is between 400k to 700k viewers, which seems...low?

There's no way Warshington doesn't sell out in minutes.  

This promo video is so good! 

Probably Scurll for the big debut on the first TV show, right? Either that, or PAC if all the visa / creative issues have been ironed out. 

I feel like the PAC situation really derailed their big plans for Hangman, and their bodged together alternative has left him looking like another person in the crowd (except for the promo where he pulled his stitches out, but how many will watch that vs the shows themselves?). It’s a big of a red flag for their ability to change plans on the fly, which will be critical for weekly TV and the inevitable injuries or other emerging issues.

i don't think PAC or Scurll are big enough names to give them a holy shit moment that they will want on the first show. I'm not saying that they can't show up and be important. Almost everyone except maybe Jericho will need some kind of history video or interview or vignette introducing them to the TV audience. 

4 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

i don't think PAC or Scurll are big enough names to give them a holy shit moment that they will want on the first show. I'm not saying that they can't show up and be important. Almost everyone except maybe Jericho will need some kind of history video or interview or vignette introducing them to the TV audience. 

Maybe that guy from that old podcast might be the big get.

Scurll will be a holy shit moment to the live crowd, and any first time viewers would react to that reaction. His contract might not be due until later in October though. I just remember it being stated that he’s free either in September or October. 

With that said Wwe will throw a shit ton of money at him. He’s in a super good spot right now. I don’t want to see anyone be a David west. Take a 10% cut to be with your friends but don’t be an idiot. 

18 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

I wonder who short of Phil would be a surprise commensurate with Luger on the first Nitro. 

Big Dave? They are going to be in DC. 

• Like 2

Outside of Punk I don't think there are many big name stars out there;   maybe once a few WWE contracts expire but so far most of the guys and women have been re-signing on 5-year deals. 

I think AEW's main focus just has to be in presentation and differentiating themselves from WWE.   The promo video did a good job of that.  They are saying hey these guys are the future of the business (outside of Jericho). Push guys like Moxley,  Omega and MJF.  Show how great the tag division can be (Bucks, Lucha Bros,  A Boy and his Dinosaur,  Private Party).  

They still in my view anyway need more quality women's wrestlers. 

• Like 1

People keep asking about a big surprise for the first show, something like Luger, but honestly, they don't need that shit. This doesn't need to be WCW redux.

What I want more than anything is a good 2 hour tv show where it doesn't feel like a chore to watch.

• Like 8

So I just watched The Buy-In again, the DoN pre-show. Private Party were in the Battle Royal and made no impression whatsoever. Penelope Ford was with Joey Janela but hasn't been seen since. The table chokeslam to Janela by Luchasaurus was still super gnarly, as was the forehead first bump he took off Jungle Boy's huracanrana right at the start. A Boy and His Dinosaur certainly didn't feel like a team though. And, hey, trivia question, who won the first ever singles match in AEW history? Wrong, it was Kip Sabian. Him vs Sammy Guevara was kind of drowned out on May 25th, but it's actually a pretty decent match. Sammy is definitely in 'Get my shit in' mode, but Sabian does his best to make a match of it.

But all things considered, anyone who watched this freebie but didn't buy DoN probably came away with the impression that this is a shambolic company run by people who don't know what they're doing. Whereas most people who did watch DoN thought it was really good, and wanted to see more from AEW.

Also, where did they find Alex Marvez? Did he have any commentary experience before this show? Because it didn't sound like it.

He may have football commentary experience, but no wrestling commentary of which I am aware.

he was a sheet writer years ago. And I think friends with Scaia when marvez covered the Bengals in Cincinnati. 

And of course a Friend Of Dave. 

Edited by odessasteps

Couple of quick notes from the new WON

- Capital One Arena for wrestling setups has a capacity of 14,000 based on setups for configurations for RAW and Smackdown. Official layout will be seen when tickets sales are announced on 7/29

- The current plan is to run buildings with capacities between 6,000 and 11,000 and some locations will be "unique"

- Riho will be exclusive to AEW and Stardom

- There was also a large piece about how the WWE definitely plans on countering with NXT on FS1 but that was talked about last week and the logistics are totally up in the air. Apparently - they will have at least one angle/match a show featuring a main roster guy (But the stuff with AJ Styles and the Club was not a tease for it)

- Also just to note that 3 of the first 4 weeks in October, Wed will have MLB playoff competition (with at least 1 World Series game, 2 if the WS goes 7 games). And WWE would run into an issue countering since FS1 has a Wed deal with Big East basketball (and the dropoff in reach between FS1 and FS2 is rather larger)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another note that I missed since it was in a different section

The goal is to do 100 - 120 Live Events a year. The breakdown is roughly: 4 PPVs, 51 Live TV shows (they won't be Live on Christmas Day this year), house shows almost every Saturday night and occasionally a second house show a week

They want "top talent" to only work about 75 matches a year

• Like 2

That seems like a modest and sustainable tour schedule which I am all for. I thought they’d aim for 5 to 8000 seat places at first but AEW is always more ambitious than I think they’ll be. And I very much hope they keep their PPVs to 4 or 6 at the most.

• Like 1

Meltzer speculates that because the Jericho Cruise in January runs all week, and most of the AEW roster will be on the cruise, that they might either tape or do a live episode from the Jericho Cruise.