DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

5 minutes ago, Custos said:

At Fight for the Fallen, I questioned why Marko Stunt was seemingly shoehorned into the Boy and his Dinosaur act.

But seeing the BTE skit and thinking about it, especially with AEW's right-on approach to inclusivity, there might be a place for a wholesome modern day take on the Oddities. They find common understanding on their shared experience of being cast out, whether because they are smaller than average, or because they are a 65 million year old reptile with a Masters Degree in Medieval History. 

It’s nice, and all, but I think Jungle Boy, and Luchasaurus can be more than just another mid-card comedy team. I mean they could still be contenders if they play up the comedy, but I don’t want anymore additions to the gimmick. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, Custos said:

But seeing the BTE skit and thinking about it, especially with AEW's right-on approach to inclusivity, there might be a place for a wholesome modern day take on the Oddities. They find common understanding on their shared experience of being cast out, whether because they are smaller than average, or because they are a 65 million year old reptile with a Masters Degree in Medieval History. 

You're right, and this is happening.  I expect Dustin Thomas and maybe Sunny Kiss to join their ranks shortly.  Whatever they do I just hope it doesn't get in the way of the success of either Luchasaurus or the Jungle Boy - both are well over with the audience and destined for bigger/better things.  Ugh, I just hope they opt out of this 'Boy and his Dinosaur' team name.  And let's hope they don't book more babyface run-ins directly in front of the ref like Stunt in the 3 way with the Dark Order and Evans/Angelico.  Less nonsense please. 

4 hours ago, alstein said:

I always thought the issue with Cody was the mind was there, the creative vision is there, but he just isn't athletic enough for his size.  He strikes me as a guy who would have been great 30 years ago as part of Lawler's rogues gallery, but that doesn't count for as much today.

To me Cody Rhodes has been another huge bright spot for the early AEW.  He has as much Main Event presence or 'IT,' as they like to say, as anybody in the industry right now.  To not give any credit for his MOTYC with Dustin is terribly under valuing his efforts.  The Darby Allin (another pleasant surprise) match also worked very well in getting over both performers and a story.  And, tho it went far too long, he looked good with the Bucks.  And add to that his excellent mic skills. Cody Rhodes is shining right now.  I never saw Cody in WWE, and only a handful of work post-WWE-pre-AEW, but is it possible that this young growing student of the game has improved?  Anyway, count me in as somebody very excited to see what Rhodes-Spears/Tully do at All Out.

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

You're right, and this is happening.  I expect Dustin Thomas and maybe Sunny Kiss to join their ranks shortly.  Whatever they do I just hope it doesn't get in the way of the success of either Luchasaurus or the Jungle Boy - both are well over with the audience and destined for bigger/better things.  Ugh, I just hope they opt out of this 'Boy and his Dinosaur' team name.  And let's hope they don't book more babyface run-ins directly in front of the ref like Stunt in the 3 way with the Dark Order and Evans/Angelico.  Less nonsense please. 

To me Cody Rhodes has been another huge bright spot for the early AEW.  He has as much Main Event presence or 'IT,' as they like to say, as anybody in the industry right now.  To not give any credit for his MOTYC with Dustin is terribly under valuing his efforts.  The Darby Allin (another pleasant surprise) match also worked very well in getting over both performers and a story.  And, tho it went far too long, he looked good with the Bucks.  And add to that his excellent mic skills. Cody Rhodes is shining right now.  I never saw Cody in WWE, and only a handful of work post-WWE-pre-AEW, but is it possible that this young growing student of the game has improved?  Anyway, count me in as somebody very excited to see what Rhodes-Spears/Tully do at All Out.

Has he improved? No, but that's not necessarily a knock on him, what he does well is all things wrestling except seemingly being able to take the lead in laying out a match. He'll get better at it as time goes on. As it is he is so good at everything else that it really doesn't matter that he still needs a ring general to bring out the best in him. His match with the human lawn dart, you know, the skatepunk dude, was surprisingly good when it had trainwreck written all over it. I put that all on Cody for saving the day.

That's the sort of thing I trust Cody at.  Cody had a great start vs Darby, and at led to a great match- that went just as long as it should have, and no more.  I think part of what made Cody and Kenny not click well as how athletics-dependent Kenny is.   As such, Cody needs to stay away from Kenny and Bucks as much as possible in-ring.

I was trying to remember all the thing's from BTE that they just dropped, rather than resolving. The Scorpio Sky candy bar thing ran it's course, but we never got the full story of the time Kazarian got the snickers really bad. And Joey Janela just stopped trying other jobs and accidentally fireballing himself in the eye quite suddenly, without ever doing the "Pro Wrestling is where I belong" promo you would have expected. But there's got to be more than that, right?

1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

Both Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus shirts have both hit #1 in sales on Pro Wrestling Tees.  They should go out of their way to push these guys to the top as soon as they can.

AH-HA! Weren’t you on the anti-Luchasaurus bandwagon? 

giphy.gif

When a doubter becomes a believer.

Maybe one day I'll like the Dark Order, but today ain't that day. Those two still look really look cheap and hokey. That gimmick plays well for Chikara and PWG, but not for a big national company like AEW. I hope they figure it out though because they're both talented.

What weird is I still remember Dark Order from when they were Player Uno and Player Dos.  I remember for a time Player Dos(?) would have the NES controller on his pants and the gimmick was pressing Start would either pause or unpause him.  Given that there's gamer folks like Kenny I would think that version would have been a pretty solid fit.  It's still an oddball gimmick in a more "sports oriented" company.  But at least it would have been a hit with shows like Fyter Fest.  But as it is I like the team a lot and the more matches they have the more I can see people getting into them.

I just want to watch them wrestle because they're really good.

I think once they split up A Boy and His Dinosaur, unless he comes on leaps and bounds, Luchasaurus will be exposed. He's safe in a tag team where he can focus on being a hot tag machine and doing dope double team moves. The only thing I wasn't impressed with is the slow motion kicks. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I just want to watch them wrestle because they're really good.

I think once they split up A Boy and His Dinosaur, unless he comes on leaps and bounds, Luchasaurus will be exposed. He's safe in a tag team where he can focus on being a hot tag machine and doing dope double team moves. The only thing I wasn't impressed with is the slow motion kicks. 

I agree with that. I also didn’t care for the martial arts defense. It felt like watching WMAC Masters combat with some of his stuff. He should be focusing on one strike he does well with, and the rest power moves. Lance Archer is a guy he should look at for inspiration. Also ditch the Kung fu blocks. It doesn’t work in a wrestling setting.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

9 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I agree with that. I also didn’t care for the martial arts defense. It felt like watching WMAC Masters combat with some of his stuff. He should be focusing on one strike he does well with, and the rest power moves. Lance Archer is a guy he should look at for inspiration. Also ditch the Kung fu blocks. It doesn’t work in a wrestling setting.

I agree with all that but FWIW when I saw him initially do all that in ROH it was much slower and faker looking.  While he should still ditch a lot of that I was impressed at how quicker it looked compared to before.

24 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

What weird is I still remember Dark Order from when they were Player Uno and Player Dos.  I remember for a time Player Dos(?) would have the NES controller on his pants and the gimmick was pressing Start would either pause or unpause him.  Given that there's gamer folks like Kenny I would think that version would have been a pretty solid fit.  It's still an oddball gimmick in a more "sports oriented" company.  But at least it would have been a hit with shows like Fyter Fest.  But as it is I like the team a lot and the more matches they have the more I can see people getting into them.

They haven't done that gimmick in a while.  When they had their PWG run like 5-6 years ago (before their visa issues), Player Dos was working without a mask as "Stupified."  Even then, it's not a great gimmick.  Without doing a video game thing like before, why is he still called a variation of Player Uno?  There's nothing delving into their backstory, so why even call him that?  Once they became "The Dark Order," a more complete gimmick change was needed instead of "yeah, it's SSB, we just had to rename them."  Everything about them is really half-ass.

They're a talented team, but they're stumbling out of the block with this shit.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought the Dark Order looked fantastic in their in-ring debut.  I didn't know these guys before their DoN appearance, but have researched youtube, and really liked what I've seen.  They started out slow b/c AEW painfully misused the lights out gimmick.  Twice!  Their promos have been really good, and their 1 for 1 with their matches.  Their current look works pretty alright for them.  I'd just like to see a cut off t-shirt to conceal Uno's non-athletic figure, but it also kinda works for him.  I like the name Player Uno and don't think it matters at all that it doesn't apply to a Nintendo gimmick anymore.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I watched Fyter Fest For The Fallen.  I didn't bother with the pre-show and that was still about an hour and a half longer than it should've been.

Building looked and sounded great.

Grayson with the sarong looks like the Bucks' cabana boy and Uno looks like fatter Shark Boy.  The Super Smash Bros. looked like bigger geeks though so I guess it's an improvement.  I feel like they missed an opportunity by not having the creepers go under the ring at the beginning and then come out during the match to interfere to at least justify Marko Stunt's interference.  They had the ramp right there so the one creeper that was covered up could've sneaked to the back under the ramp and Jericho could've done his run-in by coming up from under the ring like he'd been there the whole time if we can pretend that he wouldn't have died of old age waiting for Page/Sabian to end.

Everybody in this company is kind of a dick.  Liberal middle finger usage.  Stunt interfering for no reason.  Lucha Bros. attacking Daniels for no reason and then attacking SCU with the ladder.  Omega chop blocked Cima.  Cody snatched that kid's Blackjack Mulligan money out of his hand and stuffed it into one of the Buck's mouth.

Three of the EVPs don't know how to work to the hard cam.

Commentary wasn't good.  Excalibur's okay but he's just spouting off move names most of the time.  They need Ross for name-value but he looks old and he can't hear the opening bell and he mishears the ring announcer and has to jump on him or the refs about the rules (which are inconsistent).  Marvez is like a more awkward Mike Tenay with his non-sequitur interesting facts.  Also, referencing 5-star matches or calling a move Meltzer Driver just sounds so lame for a mainstream company.

Luchasaurus shouldn't be standing next to Dustin Rhodes.

19 hours ago, Casey said:

No, they don't.

Maybe we are just seeing 2 different things. I don't follow the indies so I had never seen the Super Smash Brothers. However, the Dark Order give these spooky evil promos. They have the creepers. But at no point looking at these two do i think they are evil or spooky or sinister. I don't believe it. I really enjoyed watching them at FFTF but they don't wrestle or act like evil / creepy/ spooky characters.  They wrestle like assholes. Grayson plays to the crowd after every big spot. Uno does cheap heel spots. I love that shit so cut promos as a couple of assholes, not lords of darkness. I agree Grayson needs a new costume. I don't think Uno needs a new costume or new mask. He does need some new shiny boots though. Someone mentioned it above and maybe it is the company's fault that their darkness cues were off.  Either way, it was ill conceived and the crowds have reacted to them with apathy. The big reaction at DoN was a "Who are you?" chant. At FF, the post tag match angle died a death. They were the least over tag team at FFTF in their match.  What do you think the proper course of action is if they don't need a new gimmick? Stay the course as spooky,  evil dudes? Let their wrestling win people over even if people are initially apathetic? Just dress em up in new costumes? 

4 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

Both Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus shirts have both hit #1 in sales on Pro Wrestling Tees.  They should go out of their way to push these guys to the top as soon as they can.

Those two have the potential to be the breakout stars for AEW. A Boy and His Dinosaur is going to play huge with families, and anyone can follow along with them.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Those two have the potential to be the breakout stars for AEW. A Boy and His Dinosaur is going to play huge with families, and anyone can follow along with them.

The more it changes... You are of course absolutely correct and I like to think that Cody and the Bucks are students of the game to the extent that they get this. This is simply what the territories were built on, maybe I'm the only one here old enough (no, I know DEAN! is too) to remember what a card was in the territory days.  You had your NWA travelling champ come in to make the local face/heel look strong but escape with his belt, that was your main event. You had some mid-card match ups and maybe a tag match or two,  that was the bulk of the card. Now then you also had a  women's match, maybe some midget hi-jinks and another humorous sort of opener. This was so Daddy could get Mommy to come and bring the wee ones who would likely be crashing from a sugar high by the time the third event took place. You had something on the card for everyone in the family, you make a lot more at the concessions table if the folks bring their kids, nothing stills the cries of "I want" quite so fast as folding money being passed from mark to carny. 

I think the whole A Boy and his Dinosaur thing is just adorable and I feel that I had a deprived childhood by not having such a wrestling gimmick in the 1960s. I was into wrestling! I was into dinosaurs! Where was my Boy and his Dinosaur, where??? 

• Like 3

Allin vs Janela vs Havoc at all out.

Chris Van Vliet taking Schiavone's spot in the control centre.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I thought the Dark Order looked fantastic in their in-ring debut.  I didn't know these guys before their DoN appearance, but have researched youtube, and really liked what I've seen.  They started out slow b/c AEW painfully misused the lights out gimmick.  Twice!  Their promos have been really good, and their 1 for 1 with their matches.  Their current look works pretty alright for them.  I'd just like to see a cut off t-shirt to conceal Uno's non-athletic figure, but it also kinda works for him.  I like the name Player Uno and don't think it matters at all that it doesn't apply to a Nintendo gimmick anymore.  

He's been going by Evil Uno since they turned heel a number of years ago. They were part of a faction called Malice with Joey Janela and Vanessa Kraven in Smash Wrestling at the time of Janela's injury.

• Like 1

I liked the wildcards brawling over the loss. Good way to get them all on the show but also show that everyone is super-serious about winning.

I may be a mark but I’m all in on Spears now that I saw him shadowy and looking menacing while Tully talked.

Moxley promo was great. I liked how he tied in his work in New Japan like he’s training in Omega’s world. The video game line got me pumped up. Even with him saying he’ll break his jaw, it really put Omega over as something special.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

I may be a mark but I’m all in on Spears now that I saw him shadowy and looking menacing while Tully talked.

I don't know if I'm buying Spears just yet but Tully did more to sell me on that match than Shawn or Cody have yet.