DVDVR Message Board

AEW - SUMMER 2019

RIPPA

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

EAVmucRXkAAwu3X?format=jpg&name=900x900

bayley.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=

b69917b44a4833275f0061d698c0ebb1_crop_no

Honestly, I get their main fanbase eats this shit up, but the Rhodes' constant need to use their platform to air their issues with the Levesque's doesn't do any favors in getting new people in that didn't care for it when TNA was doing it, or WCW.

• Like 4

At the same time, she's not wrong. It's fair to say that Vince or whoever has a template for what they like out of women wrestlers and that's either the blond that looks like a model or another woman that looks like a thin model. I don't think for one second someone like Jordynne Grace would be used remotely well in WWE because she's bigger than most of the women, but she's also not a monster like Nia Jax.

I get what she's trying to say, that AEW will care more about your abilities as a wrestler than if you fit a certain type. You can take what she's saying as a knock on WWE's practices and you can take it as them saying this is what they're looking for and you don't need to worry that there's only going to be a certain type of woman on their shows. It's just the verbiage they're using could probably be massaged to not look like an attack on WWE's practices.

At the same time, it's hard to say how you're going to be an alternative without pointing out how you're not going to be like your competition or that you're not going to do what your competition is doing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Craig H said:

At the same time, she's not wrong. It's fair to say that Vince or whoever has a template for what they like out of women wrestlers and that's either the blond that looks like a model or another woman that looks like a thin model. I don't think for one second someone like Jordynne Grace would be used remotely well in WWE because she's bigger than most of the women, but she's also not a monster like Nia Jax.

I get what she's trying to say, that AEW will care more about your abilities as a wrestler than if you fit a certain type. You can take what she's saying as a knock on WWE's practices and you can take it as them saying this is what they're looking for and you don't need to worry that there's only going to be a certain type of woman on their shows. It's just the verbiage they're using could probably be massaged to not look like an attack on WWE's practices.

At the same time, it's hard to say how you're going to be an alternative without pointing out how you're not going to be like your competition or that you're not going to do what your competition is doing.

I know we wanna keep trotting out the "Vince only hires 5'4" blonds" point, but a cursory glance of the roster page proves that false.  And the "we;re running out different women" rings hollow when the only person you're trotting out there that isn't what you're clapping at WWE for doing is Rose herself.  I'm not sure AEW wins the Roster Diversity game right now.

Edited by Raziel

Does WWE have anyone like Awesome Kong? Or Yuka Sakazaki? Or Aja, for that matter? Obviously with their huge roster not all of them are identikit, but being signed and being pushed are two different things... The whole story of WWE the last two decades is the war between what the fans want, and what Vince wants. And what Vince wants is Lacey Evans, I believe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

I know we wanna keep trotting out the "Vince only hires 5'4" blonds" point, but a cursory glance of the roster page proves that false.  And the "we;re running out different women" rings hollow when the only person you're trotting out there that isn't what you're clapping at WWE for doing is Rose herself.  I'm not sure AEW wins the Roster Diversity game right now.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but it's also hard for WWE not to be diverse when there's 700 workers on the roster

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, goodhelmet said:

Also, if they are interested in promoting ability over looks then Brandi probably shouldn't be winning matches or featured in a prominent wrestling role. 

This I agree with.

24 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Brandi is being disingenuous. Charlotte isn't 5'4".

Charlotte and Lacey are both taller than 5’4”, while Riho and Yuka are just under that. It’s a weird dig when she easily could have said something like, we’re looking for the best talent no matter what they look like.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Charlotte and Lacey are both taller than 5’4”, while Riho and Yuka are just under that. It’s a weird dig when she easily could have said something like, we’re looking for the best talent no matter what they look like.

Exactly... It’s as dumb as Vince’s blood comment yesterday. I guess people eat this crap up. But these companies always contradict their own words constantly.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Does WWE have anyone like Awesome Kong? Or Yuka Sakazaki? Or Aja, for that matter? Obviously with their huge roster not all of them are identikit, but being signed and being pushed are two different things... The whole story of WWE the last two decades is the war between what the fans want, and what Vince wants. And what Vince wants is Lacey Evans, I believe.

I don't really follow WWE and women wrestling in general, but if I'm not mistaken WWE has signed Viper and Nia Jax is still employed there. Nia was also featured heavily, certainly not for her talent, but she had a good spot on WWE shows. As for Yuka, what makes her different?

11 minutes ago, Archibald said:

I don't really follow WWE and women wrestling in general, but if I'm not mistaken WWE has signed Viper and Nia Jax is still employed there. Nia was also featured heavily, certainly not for her talent, but she had a good spot on WWE shows. As for Yuka, what makes her different?

I don't watch NXT UK so I was not aware they signed Viper full time. I'm a big fan of hers and was hoping she'd make it to AEW, but there are a lot of great matches she could have in WWE as well. I just feel like they're not going to know what they have with her. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

1 hour ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

She’s like a Doodle from Cool World who slept with a Noid.

Goddamnit, now I can't un-see that.

As for what makes her different?  Well, her insanely wacky theme plus being called "Genie of the skies" (or something like that) helps her stand out.  And from what I've seen she's pretty darn good and is a good flyer.  So put her next whoever Vince prefers and that's pretty darn different to me.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

10 minutes ago, Archibald said:

So we compare every woman wrestler to Charlotte? Because there aren't that many Charlottes in WWE either.

Well, I mean, her or Alexa.

26 minutes ago, Archibald said:

So we compare every woman wrestler to Charlotte? Because there aren't that many Charlottes in WWE either.

Fair enough.  Her name was fresh on my mind considering it was popping up recently.  But for clarity's sake I edited it.

And now Cody Rhodes answers Punk statement by saying Punk was probably misquoted...Punk will probably end back up with WWE...and Punk was never really offered an official contract.

Come on guys.

Please...open up your minds. 

This is a masterful work by Punk & AEW.

Bravo! Bravo!

There will be some sort of verbal confrontation at Starrcast...and then the explosion at All Out.

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Goddamnit, now I can't un-see that.

As for what makes her different?  Well, her insanely wacky theme plus being called "Genie of the skies" (or something like that) helps her stand out.  And from what I've seen she's pretty darn good and is a good flyer.  So put her next whoever Vince prefers and that's pretty darn different to me.

Yuka is the "Magical Girl". The "Genius of the Skies" is Io Shirai, who works for Vince.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Io Shirai, who works for Vince.

Does Vince know she works for him? Or is he just confused as to why there are three Asukas?

• Haha 1