DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

It's definitely not as extreme but it's also in the context of nearly a decade of no man on woman violence in the company (what was the last time? Orton hitting the DDT on Steph? Assuming we're not counting the yearly Steph accidental bump at Mania)

There was the horseshit with Ellsworth recently. 

8 hours ago, matt925 said:

They absolutely have to split the rumble and wrestlemania into two nights next year. They have proven they have enough content, you can split the two rumbles, split the title matches, lower prices a bit and they will do fine. Wrestle kingdom has proved they have enough content for two nights as well, but I’m not sure if they are strong enough business wise. Wwe won’t have a problem with that. 

When my boys are old enough I really hope they like wrestling, but how the hell do I watch a 6 hour show with them? Can you imagine a 6 hour football game, or a 6 hour movie? It’s just stupid. No type of show or game or event should be longer than 3.5 hours. That’s way too long to be sitting in one place watching one thing. 

I did think the show was entertaining though and I loved the look of the baseball stadium. They can’t have exaggerated the attendance by that much, there must’ve been well over 40k people there. 

New Japan had the sense to do that with Wrestle Kingdom starting next year.    WWE should do it with their big 3 PPVs.  4 hours is about the max an event should go, unless you're running an Omega/Okada 2/3 no time limit-type generational match at the end.

5 hours ago, nate said:

Intergender wrestling was a part of AAA the first time I was ever exposed to it, back in 2006.  Faby Apache used to hold her own pretty damn well in those mixed matches with her husband, with her dad.  Funny now, because I never recall anyone having any problems with that style of wrestling at the time.

And I think Chikara breaks that "plucky girl" vs. "asshole dude" dynamic.  Sara Del Ray, Daizee Haze, Heidi Lovelace, Kimberlee, and so on and so on, etc., were only ever treated as nothing less than equals.

Chikara and DDT work by their own logic (I think DDT did it right too).  WWE cannot be booked like Chikara at all, even if it would improve things for the men.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 1:56 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Bellas in Bryan's corner as his brainwashed harem would be gold. Harper, Rowan, and the Bellas as the Bryan Family is just too fucking good. Instead of a swastika, Bryan will have the recycling symbol on his forehead.  

Gold, Eddie, gold - but you gotta get the Bellas to shave their heads.

tumblr_mz90ktRT7k1soox3do1_500.gif

- RAF

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Robert s said:

Sadly the two Rumbles seemed to have been booked by different groups that barely talked to each other. Otherwise they would have realized there inconsistency with Nia entering the men's Rumble. Becky was not the one laying out Lana plus she needed an official (Finlay) to give her the okay to enter the Rumble. In addition with more talk we would not have had two Kofi spots in EACH Rumble (with the most impressive one being the first one (Naomi's one)).

Pat Patterson was thee best finish guy EVER, and the Royal Rumble was his project. The classic ones are full of teases, set-ups for future feuds, continuing story-lines and unique spots, all from him. I know he retired for a while, and I heard he was consulted for a few big matches and recent RRs. It is possible to see his fingerprints on this woman's Rumble, with it's foreshadowing, internal logic and effect onto the rest of the card (and WM), but Mr. Patterson must have passed on helping with the men's Rumble, because that thing was banana.

- RAF 

Per Meltzer - Zack Ryder was originally to be in the Rumble but sometime over the weekend they (WWE/Vince) decided to put Kurt Angle in the Rumble instead.

But instead of rebooking part of the Rumble - the literally had Angle doing everything Ryder was supposed to (same entry #, same elimination point, etc...)

The thought is it was done just because Angle would get a bigger pop coming out than Ryder

19 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - Zack Ryder was originally to be in the Rumble but sometime over the weekend they (WWE/Vince) decided to put Kurt Angle in the Rumble instead.

But instead of rebooking part of the Rumble - the literally had Angle doing everything Ryder was supposed to (same entry #, same elimination point, etc...)

The thought is it was done just because Angle would get a bigger pop coming out than Ryder

Same dropping Elias on his head?

3 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Re: the finish to Becky/Asuka. Would it have been a better move to have the bridging version of the Asuka Lock to really be a choke so that Becky can have an out because she lost to an 'illegal' hold?

I don't think Becky needs an out really.  She's been well protected and Asuka needed a big win.  They can come back to this feud later down the road.  

I'm surprised I'm reading so much negativity about this show, as I thought it was probably the best Royal Rumble ever. Becky/Asuka was excellent; the tag match was okay, and I'm kinda enjoying that angle against my better judgment; Sasha/Ronda was a banger, and probably Ronda's best match ever, which is quite the statement, and we got a return to true Boss Sasha Banks for the first time since her interactions with Trish in the last rumble; AJ/Bryan was great, I don't get the criticism for this at all. It's not their fault if the crowd doesn't appreciate what they were doing; the women's rumble was fun, well laid out, and had an awesome finish; Brock/Finn was a fun sprint; the men's rumble for the most part was enjoyable. I'm one of those who thinks that from a personal level, Rollins is the worst possible winner, but I'm not going to let that one thing kill my enjoyment of the show.

• Like 2

Yeah, I don't know that I'd go with "best ever", but I don't get the negativity either. Maybe it was due to fatigue? The show, like all WWE PPVs these days, was way too long.

Throwing out some more specific thoughts:

Becky-Asuka was great. I'm not sure having Becky tap clean was the right call, but I've already discussed that elsewhere.

The women's rumble dragged in the opening/middle. In theory, completely avoiding the "Memory Lane" schtick they used last year was the right way to go, but it meant using a lot of NXT women I didn't know at all, and from the crowd reactions it didn't seem many of the people in the audience had strong thoughts on them either. The finish was superb, though.

I was too emotionally tired after Becky's win to give Bryan/Styles the attention it deserved. I'll probably try to watch it again later. There's no reason a match between those two shouldn't be great.

Brock/Finn was great, and in one match switched me from thinking Finn was generally useless to actively wanting to see Demon King Balor show up and win the men's rumble. Not sure yet whether I was wrong about Finn or if Brock is just still really good when he tries.

The men's rumble was fine. Having nobody in the final four I particularly wanted to see win was a bummer (Andrade is great, but with both men's world titles held by heels him winning would make no sense), but on some days I'm able to separate my personal tastes from objective analyses of quality. This is one of those days. The match was mostly well-booked for what they wanted to accomplish.

No idea what they were thinking putting Nia in there, though. My view on intergender wrestling is that in a perfect world, having men and women compete on an equal footing in the ring would be great, a no-brainer. In the world we actually live in, the WWE's long-standing policy of avoiding any hint of male-on-female violence is the right way to go. Which is why I'm baffled that they'd jettison it here for no clear reason.