DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

15 hours ago, Raziel said:

I hope you all have enjoyed WWE while it lasted.  Once Woke Twitter wakes up in the morning and sees the videos of Nia taking the Finisher Train in the Men's Rumble, the mob will be out and stock will take a massive hit by lunch.  Who the fuck greenlit that?

It begins ?

Something needs to be done about show length at the big 5 events. Show time from first bell to the end of the men's Rumble was over 6 hours. It's really hard to judge people's reactions to things live at the end of a show that people had spent over half their day at already.

I dropped in and out of the show - what I caught was mostly inoffensive outside of the first third to half of the women's Rumble (I'm sick to death of the parkour spots to avoid elimination, so I did enjoy Mandy Rose blasting Naomi into orbit after trying it) and enjoyed the closing stretch of the Rumble. Both women's title matches were great. It's incredible how much more believable and sincere this face Miz run is vs. the Flair-backed run... I still expect him to turn, but if he doesn't? I'd still buy it. Both men's title matches were pretty good. Styles and Bryan work a style together that is so Southern and different than the typical WWE presentation which is rough for crowd reactions and got no favors from being in a death spot after the Rumble. Brock and Balor had a very different Brock match than usual that played up to Balor's strengths as a face and brought intrigue to a match with a foregone conclusion. I was done after it, though, and don't really have interest in catching the men's Rumble.

Good show, just about 41 hours too long.

• Like 4

They absolutely have to split the rumble and wrestlemania into two nights next year. They have proven they have enough content, you can split the two rumbles, split the title matches, lower prices a bit and they will do fine. Wrestle kingdom has proved they have enough content for two nights as well, but I’m not sure if they are strong enough business wise. Wwe won’t have a problem with that. 

When my boys are old enough I really hope they like wrestling, but how the hell do I watch a 6 hour show with them? Can you imagine a 6 hour football game, or a 6 hour movie? It’s just stupid. No type of show or game or event should be longer than 3.5 hours. That’s way too long to be sitting in one place watching one thing. 

I did think the show was entertaining though and I loved the look of the baseball stadium. They can’t have exaggerated the attendance by that much, there must’ve been well over 40k people there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

About splitting into two shows: they had to heavily paper the crowd to get it near full last night. Somewhere around 10,000 tickets were unsold as late as the middle of the week if not later. I know they ran a huge building, and selling 25,000-30,000 tickets is impressive, but I'm not sure they can pack a 14,000 seat building two straight nights for the Rumble. RAW and SmackDown aren't sold out either afaik

Just now, nate said:

What's a "bagley"?

This is what I've been wondering. Shahetty makes sense in a twisted kind of way. I don't get Bagley.

Re: Running long events in two-day blocks, I found it interesting that if you removed Shane's tag title match last night's show was pretty cleanly split between the men's and women's halves. 

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

It sucked because the very loud audience reaction to it was very much "that bitch got what was coming to her", not YAY DOLPH ZIGGLER.

I still don't know how to react to that shit from last night, but the crowd cheering for Nia getting her ass kicked by Orton, Rey, and Dolph was uncomfortable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Yeah, no grey area there when the two most seminal holders of go away heat for the past decade are getting pops like that. 

People need to remember the Orton hate is more of DVDVR/smark thing. The general audience has loved him for the most part.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe if they had Nia get her ass beat like she should have in women's rumble, they could have avoided the stupidity of her in the men's rumble. I hate when they have a super heavyweight in there with about 4 or 5 others who don't go after the heavy to eliminate them. At least, it was attempted with Braun in the men's rumble.

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

People need to remember the Orton hate is more of DVDVR/smark thing. The general audience has loved him for the most part.

This might be my failure to keep up with the weekly TV, and reading the results of the go home show, I'm not sure on this one - but isn't he supposed to be a heel currently?

Just now, RolandTHTG said:

This might be my failure to keep up with the weekly TV, and reading the results of the go home show, I'm not sure on this one - but isn't he supposed to be a heel currently?

Eh, he had been, but he looked like a face Tuesday.

The Nia thing is a slippery slope. She jumped R-Truth, entered the rumble, and you clearly saw Mustafa Ali and Rey being hesitant about hitting her. It's not like Austin stunning Stacy Kiebler for refusing to drink a beer or Austin beating the shit out of Lita with a chair. Maybe the best choice would have been some of the women Nia eliminated coming back and eliminating her? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned already, but: 

People were talking about how they set up the Lana ankle injury earlier in the night to make the Becky angle work. But there was one other thing they set up in advance too.

Historically the rule in the Rumble has been that if you don't get into the ring before the person after you gets in the ring, you're eliminated.  For the whole Becky thing to work, they needed that to not be a rule any more.  So they did that thing with Billie Kay coming out at #7, standing around, getting clocked by Nikki Cross at #8, and then still being allowed to enter afterwards.  The reason they did that was to establish that the rules had changed.

Sadly the two Rumbles seemed to have been booked by different groups that barely talked to each other. Otherwise they would have realized there inconsistency with Nia entering the men's Rumble. Becky was not the one laying out Lana plus she needed an official (Finlay) to give her the okay to enter the Rumble. In addition with more talk we would not have had two Kofi spots in EACH Rumble (with the most impressive one being the first one (Naomi's one)).

• Like 1