DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2019 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Again, part of why it's so good is because the detail they put into it all. Because they never put that level of detail into anything. Like the fact that it was Fit (with all the symbolic value therein) she had to convince and not Shane or Steph or what have you.

My guess is that Stephanie gets involved when Charlotte airs her grievances about Becky 'illegally' winning the match. Stephanie's been very little used of late, and it feels natural that she'll play a heel role in the lead-in to Wrestlemania.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Historically the rule in the Rumble has been that if you don't get into the ring before the person after you gets in the ring, you're eliminated.  For the whole Becky thing to work, they needed that to not be a rule any more.  So they did that thing with Billie Kay coming out at #7, standing around, getting clocked by Nikki Cross at #8, and then still being allowed to enter afterwards.  The reason they did that was to establish that the rules had changed.

That rule hasn't been followed in more than a decade.  In 2004 Nunzio came down to the ring and just sat there for ten minutes before anyone even noticed him.  Hell, the running gag last year was Heath Slater being unable to get into the ring because guys kept beating him up.

I think if there is any rule it's that if you don't come out at all before the next person's number, you're eliminated.

26 minutes ago, Matt D said:

What would have been the match if Reigns hadn't gone down? 

A Shield three-way? 

That was my thought. The seeds were planted for it years ago and maybe they would be getting to it later than they should, but it still happening would be cool.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Vince pivots and gives us Seth vs Bryan and Demon Balor vs Brock. I know it wouldn't make any sense at this point since Seth has already been cutting promos on Brock, but damn, like Dolfan said, it's the only win-win scenario they have. PLUS the promotion for Balor vs Brock is as easy as it gets. You have more than enough for video packages and you bill it as THE DEMON vs THE BEAST ala Apollo Creed vs The Italian Stallion.

And then Seth challenging Bryan gives us a whole bunch of fresh matches for Seth and everyone else on SDL. There isn't much more for Seth to do on Raw. He's feuded with Ambrose and that feud died so fast, he's feuded with Drew Mac, Dolph, Lashley, and kinda Finn. It's time to move on I think.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Vince pivots and gives us Seth vs Bryan and Demon Balor vs Brock. I know it wouldn't make any sense at this point since Seth has already been cutting promos on Brock, but damn, like Dolfan said, it's the only win-win scenario they have. PLUS the promotion for Balor vs Brock is as easy as it gets. You have more than enough for video packages and you bill it as THE DEMON vs THE BEAST ala Apollo Creed vs The Italian Stallion.

And then Seth challenging Bryan gives us a whole bunch of fresh matches for Seth and everyone else on SDL. There isn't much more for Seth to do on Raw. He's feuded with Ambrose and that feud died so fast, he's feuded with Drew Mac, Dolph, Lashley, and kinda Finn. It's time to move on I think.

The way to do it is to have Rollins come out tonight to announce and Bryan and Rowan come out, destroy him and bitch about whatever it is Rollins' stands for. 

Like the mercantile trappings of crossfit to turn people into pointless objects of self-worship that...

Geez, Rollins really doesn't stand for anything, does he?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, RIShane said:

It was smart booking, because it simultaneously gives Charlotte a legitimate technicality (Becky wasn't in the match, she'd already lost a match, Fit's not a high enough authority to make that call etc: ) , but also makes it completely obvious that she's the heel in the situation by bringing it up, given they had Becky replace an injured face, ask Fit first, appeal to the fans loving her, play the underdog, etc.  The facial expressions from both her and Becky throughout the closing sequence were of course expert, though it does amuse me that the last several months have basically been her putting Becky over again and again and again, and Becky beating her up on the rare occasions (Summerslam, SSD), she does win.

Also, we need a full Charlotte/Kairi match some day.

I was seriously waiting for Lana to approve the substitution or wave/point Becky on to the ring like Bret at WM9.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Matt D said:

The way to do it is to have Rollins come out tonight to announce and Bryan and Rowan come out, destroy him and bitch about whatever it is Rollins' stands for. 

Like the mercantile trappings of crossfit to turn people into pointless objects of self-worship that...

I think Bryan could use Rollins' blank-slate to cut a pretty good promo: he's a plastic activist, and "burning it down" is meaningless since he's unwilling to name the power structures that need to be destroyed--and oh, he then puts it on a t-shirt, making himself a part of the machine he claims to oppose. Rollins is just oppositional enough to be comfortable for everyone; and protest movements that don't make anyone uncomfortable aren't really protest movements.

In my extended fantasy booking, Bryan is also mad that Rollins has co-opted "Burn it Down" from Earth Crisis' seminal vegan hardcore anthem Firestorm... but that feels unlikely.

• Like 7

Re the Jax getting beaten up by men thing- context matters. After getting humiliated by Becky earlier and then losing the woman's Rumble, she had to one-up her arch-rival by running out and winning the men's match. Only of course, she was immediately in way over her head, other than eliminating one guy (Ali) who'd already been out there for 30+ minutes and probably won't be hurt nearly as badly as some folks here seem to think. Once she hit the ring and went after the male competitors, she was fair game.

Don't have much to say. My kids decided to give WWE another shot for the Rumble. Don't know if we'll keep the network until Mania.

Thought the Nia stuff in the men's was kind of cool at first because she's following in the footsteps of women like Chyna and Beth. The fact that everyone had to gang up on her actually made her look like a bigger threat. Though the whole thing felt baffling considering they've  gone to great lengths to avoid man on woman violence for a LONG time now. Why bother? And what is the point? Are we going to run Nia Jax vs. Randy Orton at Wrestlemania? The cynic in me thought the whole thing was booked so the men could get their frustrations out for being overshadowed by the women for the last year.

One note on Brock/Balor. We had friends over to play some board games and the Rumble was on in the back ground. My friends would periodically look over and I'd explain some stuff to them. When Brock and Finn were geting in the ring, my friend turned and said:

"Oh it's Brock Lesnar against.....this oily slimeball." He'd never seen Finn Balor before in his life. 

I like Balor okay, and wanted him to win, but it made me wonder how deep in the bubble I am that I was surprised someone's first impression of him would be "Oily slimeball.

53 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh no - it definitely had been said several times over several years

Ironically - they couldn't even follow their own rule from one match to the other because someone in the men's match (Curt Hawkins I think????) was trying to stall and the ref was yelling at him that he had to get in the match or he would be eliminated

Women's Rumble has slightly different rules than the Men's Rumble (like the AL and NL), I am happy for this to become a thing.

Although your comment speaks to a larger point I want to make about how the downside to having 2 rumbles on the same show is how it overexposes a lot of the cliches of Royal Rumble booking (mugging someone for their spot, hiding under the ring, the Kofi/Naomi "I'm not actually eliminated/the floor is hot lava" parkour save, knocked through the ropes and being KOed and "forgotten" about, etc.) and they should really consider moving the rumbles to separate shows for reasons beyond just it was 5 damn hours geeez

10 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if this is a controversial statement.  Balor is more over than Seth now right? I mean it's pretty close. I don't want to run with this fantasy DEMON returns idea against Brock because while I love that idea it seems to be more internet fantasy then where WWE may be going, right?  Though,  I'm not sure if they've decided what to do with Bryan. 

It could be Bryan vs. Seth and DEMON vs. Brock but I haven't seen anything that points to Seth challenging a SDL guy.  It does beg the question. If the sheets are right and it's just Brock/Seth then who is facing Bryan?  My left field pick would be Mustafa Ali but I'd settle for Rey Mysterio too.  I would fucking hate Orton because as always fuck Orton but it's a possibility.  Ugh.  It's a possibility. 

I would imagine, at least as of now, Mania looks something like:

Seth vs Brock

AJ vs Orton

Bryan vs Rey Jr.

Shane vs Miz

HHH vs Batista (??)

Rousey vs Charlotte vs Becky

Maybe Cena vs Lars Sullivan or Lars dominating and winning Andre battle royal..

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Very, very disappointing show. I had high hopes once I saw the dugout setup, but that turned out to be one of the only things I liked about the whole show.

- RAW Tag title match would've been pointless on a RAW, let alone here.

- Rusev-Nak was just there. They just can't resist putting Lana in terrible angle after terrible angle.

- Kalisto isn't ever going to get over and they keep pushing him as a top Cruiserweight contender. He doesn't even crack the top 5 best Luchadores in the company. Tozawa shouldn't have been here either, and Itami is the last person that should've eaten the fall. This should've been a 10 minute Metallik-Murphy match or something, the last thing the Cruisers need is more multi-man matches that don't get anyone over.

- Asuka-Becky was very good, definitely the match of the night but it had no competition.

- Shane looked like he was about to die out there.

- No idea what Banks-Rousey match you guys were watching. Full of botches and the worst Rousey has looked yet.

- Women's Rumble was good, but giving Naomi the Kofi spot while knowing full well that Kofi was going to do it again TWICE during the Men's Rumble was just stupid. Figure out a better way to showcase her athletic ability.

- Styles-Bryan was set up to fail. Really should've just put Ali in this spot if Bryan was going to get the death spot anyway.

- Balor-Brock was great in a vacuum, it's just that the story only works if Balor is the one to eventually beat Brock, and that's not what is happening.

- The worst Men's Rumble in years. The only "surprise" was that endless Jarrett segment that no one had any patience left for. Elias suddenly turning heel again for the segment was weird as hell. Angle showing up seemed very pointless. Whoever keeps putting Dolph near the end of Rumbles to suck the heat out of the finish needs to stop. The Nia stuff was an embarrassment and will hopefully be a lesson to them to cut the intergender shit out entirely. The Rollins win was telegraphed the second he went through the table.

This show was fucking LONG. To the point where fans were begging for it to end instead of being hot for the men's Rumble winner. They need to stop running shows past 11 p.m. And clearly the Rumbles should have switched positions. Not being aware that Becky's win would be the biggest moment of the night is some tone deaf shit even for WWE.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Re the Jax getting beaten up by men thing- context matters. After getting humiliated by Becky earlier and then losing the woman's Rumble, she had to one-up her arch-rival by running out and winning the men's match. Only of course, she was immediately in way over her head, other than eliminating one guy (Ali) who'd already been out there for 30+ minutes and probably won't be hurt nearly as badly as some folks here seem to think. Once she hit the ring and went after the male competitors, she was fair game.

If some news show runs footage of four babyface men teaming up to beat up a woman, I'm guessing no one will give a shit what the in-story context is. I know I don't.

And yeah, Ali will be fine, but this was still stupid and unnecessary. It helped no one and brought the end of the Rumble match down.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I missed that. Cole not being able to tell Apollo and Shelton apart wasn't great though.

Well, we know the guy in his headset can't tell them apart. At least Cole didn't say Virgil had just been eliminated...so progress?

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

Personally, I think if you're going to do this and have that happen, they should have gone all out for the "piss everyone off with it." You're going to piss people off, do it better:

I could see it being beautiful. The countdown starts. 

The 0 is hit. 

You see the lights go down to nothing. A smallish man is near the dugout.

A light comes into play. You see a thatch of curly blond hair show up.

The first 20 seconds (or as much as you can legally play without having to pay royalties) of Kenny Omega's theme hits.

The entirety of Chase Field goes insane.

Then the record scratches. "I'M HERE TO SHOW THE WORLD...."

...if you're pissing people off, PISS THEM OFF.

Take that idea, replace with ... "LOOK IN MY EYYYYYES ... WHAT DO YA SEE ..." ... *skrrrrrrich* "I HEAR VOICES IN MY HEAD ..."

47 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

One note on Brock/Balor. We had friends over to play some board games and the Rumble was on in the back ground. My friends would periodically look over and I'd explain some stuff to them. When Brock and Finn were geting in the ring, my friend turned and said:

"Oh it's Brock Lesnar against.....this oily slimeball." He'd never seen Finn Balor before in his life. 

I like Balor okay, and wanted him to win, but it made me wonder how deep in the bubble I am that I was surprised someone's first impression of him would be "Oily slimeball.

It's probably a bit too much, but I guess I can see where that description would come from. He comes out with his super toned abs, constantly popping his collar and then flaunts his crotch to the crowd. The actions project a certain type of arrogance in a Rick Rude kind of way to a first time viewer. We know from continued watching that that's not actually his character or demeanour outside the ring (promos, backstage interviews) but I can see where that vibe comes from.

Honestly though, "oily slimeball" could describe probably 90% of wrestlers ever.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I was joking earlier, but Mania being Daniel Bryan vs. Seth Rollins and The Beast vs. The Demon would be pretty much everyone's definition of a win-win.  (Especially if Bryan & Finn go over.)

As much as I like this idea, this means that there would be a Raw main between Seth and Finn for permission to face Brock.  Yay, us.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Speaking of, does "Face Fuck Me Finn" girl still make appearances?

Last I heard, she was getting thrown out of a Raw and selling nudes on her Instagram.  A fact, not shading the girl's hustle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

If he did, I assumed he burned it down.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jarrett probably had one or two of those Rumble burgers.

they're called the royal rumble burger because if you eat one you'll be entering your bathroom every two minutes

• Like 3
  • Haha 2