DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Yeah, Omega maybe needs a few days to figure out where the cameras are and maybe the pacing of a WWE match, but otherwise, there's zero reason to stick him in NXT.   

It may not be now, but when he eventually comes to the WWE, he'll (probably) have a rocket strapped to him. 

There wasn't a ton of reason for Nakamura to be down there except for to anchor NXT as a touring brand. If they wanted to expand further, it'd make sense for him to be there. Plus, he'd also have a lot more creative freedom with his matches and would get to work on a daily basis with Shawn Michaels, who he's said is his dream opponent.

Oh, and btw, I do love when people make the argument that Kenny (or whichever new superstar) is going to have dumb angles and struggle with politics when he goes to WWE.   Like Japan or *whatever other promotion* doesn't also have dumb angles and politics.  

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Yeah, Omega maybe needs a few days to figure out where the cameras are and maybe the pacing of a WWE match, but otherwise, there's zero reason to stick him in NXT.   

It may not be now, but when he eventually comes to the WWE, he'll (probably) have a rocket strapped to him. 

Hopefully it’s not the same Acme rockets they used on Finn.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Hopefully it’s not the same Acme rockets they used on Finn.

TBF, it's not the WWE's fault that the night Finn became the first Universal champion, his tendons decided to explode. 

29 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

TBF, it's not the WWE's fault that the night Finn became the first Universal champion, his tendons decided to explode. 

But it’s not Finn’s fault that when he came back he was put into a never ending feud with Bray Wyatt. Which would’ve led to...

maxresdefault.jpg

Funny thing is it led to the Finn Vs. AJ match. Which was great, but then they were like “Nah, let’s stop there”. Finn hasn’t gotten much since.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think oVe's inspiration for the masks came from Cleveland band Mushroomhead, who have been together since 1993. Now, did Mushroomhead get the gimmick from The Nightmare Before Christmas? I don't know. 

Spoilered for size

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for mushroomhead

Given the sound of their current theme, the music the individual members of oVe have typically used as entrance music, and the By Ohio / For Ohio thing they've got going on, I could believe that their masks are Mushroomhead homages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

in addition, the pacing/cameras thing may not be as important for Omega, since he WAS a former developmental guy...so he probably knows the camera positioning already.

Having said that, though, there would be a possible reason for Omega in NXT: the all-important "we need someone to be our national NXT house show draw".

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

There wasn't a ton of reason for Nakamura to be down there except for to anchor NXT as a touring brand. If they wanted to expand further, it'd make sense for him to be there. Plus, he'd also have a lot more creative freedom with his matches and would get to work on a daily basis with Shawn Michaels, who he's said is his dream opponent.

I would imagine part of it is also to make the transition to living in an entirely different hemisphere full-time a little easier. Living near the performance center probably helps someone like Nak or Kairi get settled in easier than immediately going out on the road with the main roster would.

• Like 1

Omega, from 2017:

I know NXT is kind of like the indie darling promotion of the WWE, however I have next to zero percent interest in going to NXT, to be honest. I'm just saying it does not jive with the goals I have in mind for myself or my career to go to NXT. As great as a guy like Bobby Roode is or Samoa Joe or Shinsuke Nakamura, I could go my entire career from this point on, not wrestle those guys, and wouldn't feel like I missed something. And I don't mean disrespect to them. I just feel that I'm on borrowed time. My style is very physical and I push myself very hard and to the limit all the time to try and change wrestling and give people a reason to subscribe to New Japan World or WWE Network and I understand what we do isn't always cool, so I want to give you all a reason to find it cool again. And it's tough on me, so I want to make sure when I do these high risk matches and when I push myself beyond my boundaries that there is a point. And doing that in NXT, just for me, would seem like a little bit of a waste.

Even if his best friends weren't offering a large sum of money to do whatever he wants, I'm virtually certain a WWE deal would be contingent on skipping NXT altogether.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

Or the 3 million figure being thrown around is complete bullshit.

This is the more likely. Most people on the roster don't make that money, much less will they throw that at a guy who's a virtual unknown outside of the wrestling bubble.

1 hour ago, Edwin said:

This is the more likely. Most people on the roster don't make that money, much less will they throw that at a guy who's a virtual unknown outside of the wrestling bubble.

That's all they have now though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

You are aware that it would absolutely be worth it to them to deliver a total killshot to AEW right???

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

You are aware that it would absolutely be worth it to them to deliver a total killshot to AEW right???

It would, but hiring Kenny would not be a killshot, and its still too much damn money for someone who is not named Brock Lesnar or Ronda Rousey.

17 hours ago, Eivion said:

Or the 3 million figure being thrown around is complete bullshit.

Winner, winner! Chicken dinner!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

No, it really wouldn't. A start up company with talent virtually unknown in the US (with the exception of Chris Jericho) is hardly a serious threat to a billion-dollar world-wide enterprise that has been in business for fifty fucking years. The narrative that AEW is somehow a major threat to WWE needs to die a quick death. AEW is no more of a serious threat than your average murdshow. They are a well-funded start-up with some excellent choices in hiring, but they are not a threat to any major company, unless you consider Impact a major company, which I do not.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

AEW is no more of a serious threat than your average murdshow.

Your average whatnow? Who is a murdshow? Is it like a shitshow, but French (that would be merde)? 

AEW is a hard one to call, because on the one hand they drew a ful house to All In with no telly, but at the same time, that was basically an indie Wrestlemania. They drew 10,000 people in Chicago, but they didn't draw 10,000 people from Chicago. People came from all over the world to see this one historic event. Unlikely to replicate that for a TV taping.

• Like 1

Omega is right.  At this stage of his career, he really doesn't need the WWE and quite frankly, they don't need him either.

It wouldn't even be a homecoming for Omega because he's already home in Tokyo.  The dude is more Japanese than most Japanese people I know. 

I find it pretty ironic that he's made most of his money working a gaijin invader gimmick.