DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2019 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don;t think AJ Styles or Samoa Joe have a "5 star" match in WWE do they?  Meltzer will downgrade Omega to 4.0 or 4.5 

No, but neither had one in Japan either. Styles did win a WON MOTY for his G1 match against Minoru Suzuki, but Dave only clocked that at 4.75. Joe/Styles/Daniels from TNA got the full five, and Joe has two others in ROH, against Kobashi and Punk.

Anyway, Nakamura is who he's always been. People who watched him really go a handful of times a year thought that's what he did all the time--they were wrong. WWE fans also don't have the investment in his character arc, from generic would-be savior to self-styled King. (A bit like the issue Bayley has had on the main roster, really. The product isn't as compelling if you didn't see the journey.)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I think that is Vinny Marsela (misspelled horribly) from Ring of Honor (the guy with the balloons now) but if not then I am guessing Kerry Awful 

It is Kerry - that's the bio pic some places use for him

(Not to mention some of the tats give it away)

WWE hires people to fill roles and kneecap other promotions. Or precise surgical strikes. But in NJPW case it leds to better business. Triple H courts wrestlers that would be suitable for WWE in the modern business. Or the ones that get acclaim.

So they will put him in 205.

I'm curious where the idea Meltzer hates Ziggler is coming from. He calls Dolph a good wrestler damn near every time he talks about him on WOR.

I mean, I hate Ziggler, but Dave doesn't.

5 hours ago, Goodear said:

Nakamura is what we thought he'd be, super charismatic and super lazy.  

I remember watching the Zayn/Nakamura March and thinking “Man, this is really good, but damn does Nakamura have his WWE signature moves already down, and they will get old quick.”

3 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

41cQj0Ei8zL.jpg

This isn’t the worst thing about Callahan, but nothing says we’re crazy killers like ripping off a Disney movie.

I think oVe's inspiration for the masks came from Cleveland band Mushroomhead, who have been together since 1993. Now, did Mushroomhead get the gimmick from The Nightmare Before Christmas? I don't know. 

Spoilered for size

Spoiler

Image result for mushroomhead

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beech27 said:

No, but neither had one in Japan either. Styles did win a WON MOTY for his G1 match against Minoru Suzuki, but Dave only clocked that at 4.75. Joe/Styles/Daniels from TNA got the full five, and Joe has two others in ROH, against Kobashi and Punk.

Anyway, Nakamura is who he's always been. People who watched him really go a handful of times a year thought that's what he did all the time--they were wrong. WWE fans also don't have the investment in his character arc, from generic would-be savior to self-styled King. (A bit like the issue Bayley has had on the main roster, really. The product isn't as compelling if you didn't see the journey.)

His "highs" in WWE/NXT outside of the wonderful, incredible, awe-inspiring Zayn match have been nothing like his highs in NJPW though. Just "that was pretty good...?" YMMV

26 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

His "highs" in WWE/NXT outside of the wonderful, incredible, awe-inspiring Zayn match have been nothing like his highs in NJPW though. Just "that was pretty good...?" YMMV

No, you’re right. The distinction I’d draw—maybe somewhat arbitrarily—is that he’s the same guy, just presented differently and in a different context. His highest highs came when he could work as a recklessly stiff self-supremacist tweener against underdogs—like he did against Sami. But the WWE template suggests you’re either a babyface who sells and fires up, or a heel who cheats (because he’s not good enough). Neither of those really work; and with WWE’s schedule, he can’t (and shouldn’t!) just demolish people. He also lacks the aforementioned context stateside. Kinda like Roman, I think so much of his presentation hinges on the audience knowing he was the chosen ace (at least at one time), and he worked better when embracing that arrogance.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think oVe's inspiration for the masks came from Cleveland band Mushroomhead, who have been together since 1993. Now, did Mushroomhead get the gimmick from The Nightmare Before Christmas? I don't know. 

Spoilered for size

Hide contents

Image result for mushroomhead

I forgot about those guys. It's a pretty good look for wrestling, to be honest. I'm surprised no one besides Vampiro in LU has ripped off Ghost's whole gimmick yet

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I've never liked a single Nakamura match. The absolute worst example of "WWE style" going around. Spot. Pose/taunt. Spot. Pose/taunt. Repeat...

That's a description of the PWG style, too.

You can tell the road agents didn’t really get involved with Nak Vs. Zayn. It was just a straight up cocky IWGP IC champion Nakamura match. After that is when they basically got a hold of him, and made him work a “babyface makes a comeback, then hits his finisher to win” style.

• Like 1

Today's "Dave on Kenny" news: A source told Dave WWE don't think he's coming. Also, New Japan is now realizing not working with AEW means losing Kenny and they might change their mind and come to a deal with them. Dave is hinting strongly Kenny is going with his friends, but it's not a done deal.

I’m not surprised Kenny is not coming to the WWE. He’s essentially going to be the center of a promotion in AEW. In the WWE he’ll probably get 6 months at the top on NXT, and then he has to go through the old man, and kids making fun of him on the mic without having a good scripted comeback. Dealing with politics when you start with a severe disadvantage, just seems  like a real bitch. 

• Like 1